Sign in to follow this  
Hector Roffo

Question about Rigging

I have been trying my hand in rigging and haven't gotten far. I've been hearing about Avastar is needed but I do not want to spend the money for something that may or may not use. Is there a way to rig without it? 

I think before anyone attempts to answer your question. You’d need to share which modeling program you’re using, if it’s blender, which version? What are you trying to rig? Little things like that might allow more people to attempt to help you.

I am using blender 2.8 and Zbrush for my sculpting. I was trying to make a mesh head  from scratch. I attempted to weight paint by using automatic weights and for some reason refuses to attach itself to the Armature and I am aware that I must be skipping a step. I am using the Armature that's provided on the Avastar site

Bad news is there isn’t a version of Avastar available for 2.8 yet.

I’m thinking if you’re not using a kit and you’re rigging from scratch you’d need a reference from somewhere right? Like some bones for rigging, right?

I think machinimatrix has something called workbench, or toolbench which is free that gives you all of the bento bones to rig on your own.

Most people don’t rig without avastar. I know it’s possible, but most people use it because it’s much easier. So you’re kind of in unexplored territory. Hopefully someone will come a give you a more detailed guide on how to rig without avastar.