Why does this happen?

ShanieceLaBelle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm using LAQ head with Tweenster mesh body. The skin is exactly the same from head to foot. The image on the left is midday noon. The image on the right is midday morning or evening around 5 or 6 o'clock where the skin blends in perfectly. Most all noon time sky setting make my head appear darker. Is it because the mesh polygons are different?

I use the Ivy head with Maitreya also, that doesn't happen using that combination. 

Sunlight Skin.png

39 minutes ago, ShanieceLaBelle said:

I  guess I'll never know. Thanks SL

you'r welcome!
impatience rarely gives good results... this isnt support but a resident/resident forum, sometimes it takes a while before you get answers.

But to your question, it's a lighting problem. Often a different windlight setting will improve it. For example one of the non shadow settings like "Nam's optimal skin and prim"

• Like 3

I guess the reason why you don’t get an immediate answer to this is because there is no easy answer. Why different 3D model textures ends up having different behaviour in different light settings is a mystery even to the creators, it looks like...

Since I do not create content for SL, I cannot  give you a list of the material properties involved, but from my experience with other 3D created stuff I would guess it comes down to refraction/reflection values etc...given/set for the individual meshes...

In other words, tech stuff I and most users here don’t have a clue about, sorrry :( 

6 hours ago, ShanieceLaBelle said:

I  guess I'll never know. Thanks SL

Are you going to pay us to answer more quickly and put all our time on finding a solution? No? Then people don't owe you something. 😏

Generally speaking, seams between differnt objects happen all the time and it seems like they can't be avoided completely, when two objects are made by different people. As you already noticed, different light settings have a huge impact. So using a set of decent windlight settings is usually the go-to solution, as they make SL look prettier anyway.

• Like 1

Simple answer:

The seam exists because the head and body are separate objects.

The back of the head is in shadow because it's the under-side of the head and light is above.

The neck/shoulders are bright because they are the top-surface of the body and light is above.

The head does not cast a shadow onto the body unless you have dynamic shadows enabled.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I wonder about things like materials, too: they can make a difference in how an object reacts to different kinds of light. I don't use either LAQ or Maitreya, but is it possible that something like a "glow" setting is impacting on one, but not the other?

Not really. Materials don't create a glow (luminosity) in any situation, unless you meant how reflective of light (glossy) it is.

In the right screenshot above, the light is coming from behind the camera and hitting the back directly, causing more intense lighting while hiding the seam because both the surfaces of both objects that we see are receiving light from the same direction.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

This happens becauae you are using the default Noon sky, which is crap, in the same sense that the default avatar duck-walk without any additional AO is crap.

You probably wouldn't be seen dead in public without a proper AO. Likewise, the default Noon sky should never be seen dead on your screen.

Switch to something like Nam's Optimum Skin & Prim. Or, if you're on the official viewer without  a lot of extra windlight options, make your own using the environment settings. Choose low (dark) Sun/Moon light and high (bright) Ambient light. And you will see no more shadows like that on your neck 

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.