Security orb being reset

SaaiYu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello not sure if anyone can help me i am renting land and i have an security orb, every now and again i will come on to check the vistor log because i had ppl trying to enter without permission ..now the rental place i'm renting from does have access ..what i want to know is does the security orb reset itself periodiocally or is someone from the rental place resetting it, because they been on my property ...can someone please help because one day it was reset 4 times ... seriously concerned because when i ask the rental place they act as if they dont know what im talking about 

some orbs have an access settings option, which allows different levels of people to reset the orb. Typically: Owner,  Group or Anyone.  If your orb is set to Anyone then anyone can reset it

check your orb for an access settings option on the menu. If it has then set it to Owner

Not sure which orb you have but orbs should not reset on their own as it defeats the purpose of the orb.

You say a rental place has access to the orb. Is this a rental group? Or just a resident? Who is in the rental group? Maybe you should set orb access to you and one or two land managers.

1 hour ago, LadyPhoenixK said:

i guess im really asking is it just doesnt reset on its own right? someone is actively doing it bc its jut me and the owners  

without seeing the script there is no definitive answer to this.  As is possible for a script to reset itself - llResetScript( ) - which can be done on a timer

if you are the About Land 'owner' of your rental parcel and the issue persists then suggest you get another orb

It's not even clear what you mean by "reset."  It would make a lot of sense for some kinds of orbs to clear out-of-date information once a day, for example.  Otherwise, data will tend to accumulate over time, eventually leading to a stack/heap failure.  A security orb should not clear your lists of allowed or banned visitors, though, so a total restart of the script is probably not a good idea unless that information is stored in a remote database (as it apparently is in the Linden Home security system, for example).  As Molly says, some systems will allow you to designate one or more people who may be allowed access to the system, too.  Without knowing any more about your system, all we can do is guess about what's possible.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 2

thinking about what Rolig has said

this is probably the case with the orb, it is most likely periodically clearing the Visitors List to prevent stack heap collision. The clearing is usually done on visitor total, which explains a orb that is clearing at different times because of visitor numbers

some orbs don't clear the Visitors list totally.  They maintain a list of avatars who last visited up to some maximum.  When the list is full then the oldest visitor is dropped and the newest visitor added

• Like 2

On 11/6/2019 at 5:54 PM, LadyPhoenixK said:

i guess im really asking is it just doesnt reset on its own right? someone is actively doing it bc its jut me and the owners  

As everyone else has said, there's just no telling what's happening -- we don't even know for sure what "reset" means to this orb, so it may very well be something it does all on its own and it may also not mean anything more than regular housekeeping. It's possible one could figure this out from whatever documentation comes with the orb... or certainly from its source code, if it comes open source and licensed for view by others. Otherwise we can only speculate what it might be doing based on whatever hints it divulges -- which is to say, your guess is as good as anybody else's. 

Are you particularly attached to this device? I mean, it may be an engineering marvel and all, but if we can't figure out what it's doing it's not really serving your purposes.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.