Universal Wearable, Left Arm/Leg, Tattoos, and Skinners

Blush Bravin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After doing some research on how to get a left arm only tattoo using Bakes, I've discovered it's not such an easy task after all. It seems in order to get a tattoo to work with a universal you will also need a universal layer for your skin, as well, to be worn under the universal tattoo for the left arm or leg. I wonder if skinners even know about this requirement. It's also disheartening to see the hoops one must jump through to alpha out a portion of the left arm/leg. 

If anyone wants to read the info for themselves it's available in the Knowledge Base. The part dealing with the universals is about halfway down the page. I did try to test this making a universal and using on my Maitreya body, but it didn't show up. I'm guessing there's a step to activate the ability of the body to use the universal, which isn't accomplished when just using the HUD that changes the UUIDs of the body to accept Bakes. I guess I have more research to do.

You can use a universal on the BoM activated Maitreya , works just like a normal tatt. The problem happens when you want to use the universal for something like a one arm tattoo.  That cannot be done on a standard BoM activated.  It would need to be done using the Aux/left arm/left leg channels ..... and for w/e reason, cannot be applied like we can with the regular BoM textures using the Maitreya Skin applier kit.

I too am curious how it would or is suppose to work.  I was very confused by needing a universal skin along with a universal tatt. 

Anyway... I will be watching :P

Yeah, I was specifically referring to the left arm or left leg universal. I should have been more precise in my original post.

Apparently if you use a left arm or left leg universal without a universal layer skin under it you will end up with either no skin under the tattoo or a default gray tone depending on how the alpha masking is set for the body. It explains this in the Knowledge Base article I linked.

13 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

It explains this in the Knowledge Base article I linked.

Yea,  I get that.  Ive read that page more times than I want to think about.  My confusion comes from the why of it..... as you said, "I've discovered it's not such an easy task after all". 

This means, any tattoo maker that wants to use the univeral for a one arm tatt....also needs to provide a skin? Or are skin makers going to be expected to include one just for that on top of the work they are doing now? That is more or less my confusion.... how is this going to work? Or am I completely misunderstanding that process?

2 hours ago, Tarani Tempest said:

This means, any tattoo maker that wants to use the univeral for a one arm tatt....also needs to provide a skin? Or are skin makers going to be expected to include one just for that on top of the work they are doing now?

I can't see how a tattoo artist could include a skin with the tattoo, but now it seems the only solution would be for skinners to include a skin for the left arm/ leg on a universal wearable in their skin package. I just can't even imagine asking my skinner to do that, but if I want to wear a tat just on my left arm I'm going to have to ask. I don't even want to consider using an onion layer to achieve a one arm only tattoo because then we would be right back to the same problem we've always had with tattoos, which is alpha glitching. 

10 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I can't see how a tattoo artist could include a skin with the tattoo, but now it seems the only solution would be for skinners to include a skin for the left arm/ leg on a universal wearable in their skin package. I just can't even imagine asking my skinner to do that, but if I want to wear a tat just on my left arm I'm going to have to ask. I don't even want to consider using an onion layer to achieve a one arm only tattoo because then we would be right back to the same problem we've always had with tattoos, which is alpha glitching. 

Perhaps the skin would consist of only the odd limb "tattoo", while still being a "full skin".

Would of been nice if they could of extended the slots on the skin wearable itself, but supposedly they did try, and it was causing some crashing issues on older viewers.

Personally, I kind of wonder just how old those viewers in question are, and how many people would it effect if they went with it anyways

• Lindens
On 11/7/2019 at 7:50 AM, Digit Gears said:

Personally, I kind of wonder just how old those viewers in question are, and how many people would it effect if they went with it anyways

Unfortunately, it affected everyone. The viewer was not originally written with the possibility in mind that new channels would be added to existing wearable types. I believe we've changed things so that this may be possible in the future (assuming a viewer based on the BOM codebase)

1 minute ago, Vir Linden said:

Unfortunately, it affected everyone. The viewer was not originally written with the possibility in mind that new channels would be added to existing wearable types. I believe we've changed things so that this may be possible in the future (assuming a viewer based on the BOM codebase)

Well I do wish y'all luck with that then! Would be handy for me if I had a few more, then I could plug in a whole avatar of mine into the skin wearable, body, head, tail, and ears.  Also, random question, but I noticed on the clothing layers, there seems to be a built in alpha cutout for that lower corner of the lower body were there's no UV at, any chance that can be removed, or would that be far too deep in the old code?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.