Snow add-on?

HoneyBear Lovely

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

New Babbage has an official winter season, and residents there are expected to provide snow. In spring, the Clockwinder announces the end of winter, and you have a week to make your snow go away. The look is quite nice, because it's consistent. Do any of the big private landlords have a similar seasonal theme?

Bellesaria, though, doesn't have seasons that organized.

A compromise might be some snow on the roof and some piles of shoveled snow around the property. Heavy snow right up to the property line, though, does look a little off.

Now if you could talk a whole block into going in for a snow theme...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, animats said:

New Babbage has an official winter season, and residents there are expected to provide snow. In spring, the Clockwinder announces the end of winter, and you have a week to make your snow go away. The look is quite nice, because it's consistent. Do any of the big private landlords have a similar seasonal theme?...

The Ville de Coer where I rent a little cottage has wonderfull seasons.

But they are created by the landlord, not by the tenants. I wouldn't trust them to do so. Some may be offline, on vacations, ill ...or just not willing!  IF you want seasons, you have to have a region where all the landscaping is done by the owner and you  get a house INSIDE of which you can decorate not OUTSIDE.

In Bellisseria we have a garden that we can decorate, a fact that I really appreciate, so to have seasons is just not possible.

• Administrators

For the rest of you discussing this topic, we're thinking through how to handle this.  It seems we will obviously have to put up some guardrails on this matter to keep things in check.  This will probably include some of the ideas we've seen here.  We'll be back with an update once we've decided on a direction.

giphy.gif 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 11

There are two camps, those that want snow and those that don't. Perhaps, as I stated before allow people to celebrate the holidays for a small window of time like 3 weeks. A couple of weeks leading up to the holidays and the week after. Then the AR's can kick in. Let people enjoy and celebrate the holidays how they like on their parcel. Sure some will be a tacky eye sore but some may be spectacular. Have a tour of holiday homes or a decorating contest like the Belli Citizens group did for Halloween. Make it inclusive and send positive vibes out into the SL world.🥂

• Like 1

NEWSFLASH!!!

Snow storms hit Bellisseria!

Wild snow storms have been moving round the continent, seeming to hit homes and campers at random. In some cases, heavy snow has almost buried campers and their surrounding yards, spilling out into the neighbourhood, whilst traditional homes owners seem to have fared better, the snow conveniently falling in a precise 32 x 32 metre square, miraculously missing the house altogether. :P 

eyesore3.jpg

eyesore2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

2 hours ago, TessaPaige Jupiter said:

There are two camps, those that want snow and those that don't. Perhaps, as I stated before allow people to celebrate the holidays for a small window of time like 3 weeks. A couple of weeks leading up to the holidays and the week after. Then the AR's can kick in. Let people enjoy and celebrate the holidays how they like on their parcel. Sure some will be a tacky eye sore but some may be spectacular. Have a tour of holiday homes or a decorating contest like the Belli Citizens group did for Halloween. Make it inclusive and send positive vibes out into the SL world.🥂

It isn't so easy. It has to do with immersion too. Green trees and flowering bushes among snow drifts. A 32 x 32 piece of snow.

We could argue it's a snow spray machine's work, with polyester snow.

doc4ab259268e57e599104438-1.jpg

Personally I definitely don't want to see any snow in Bellisseria. Snowy parcels would look totally out of place when the Linden protected lands would be in summer theme. Even small patches of show would not look right among summer scene. Winter Linden homes theme would need totally separate winter theme regions collection. Maybe a big island where all the regions would be in winter theme would work?

Besides there are lots of winter themed regions in Second Life. They are just a quick TP away.
In RL Christmas can be, and is,  celebrated without snow in the tropics and in southern hemisphere. Why not in SL too? 🤷‍♀️

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

How so?

I was referring to the attitude of some in the community, not the continent itself: the idea that everyone should do their own thing (even though the covenants require keeping in theme).

I go to my Mainland parcels when I want to see a free-for-all decor-wise, which sometimes does include different climates on every parcel. I really don't want to see that in Bellisseria. I'm glad to see you are pondering the issue and how to handle it. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I was referring to the attitude of some in the community, not the continent itself: the idea that everyone should do their own thing (even though the covenants require keeping in theme).

I go to my Mainland parcels when I want to see a free-for-all decor-wise, which sometimes does include different climates on every parcel. I really don't want to see that in Bellisseria. I'm glad to see you are pondering the issue and how to handle it. 

It's not like we're putting up pink and purple snow and that it's going to stay forever. It's Christmas.....the rationale for no snow would also mean no Christmas decorations. 

• Confused 4

8 minutes ago, HoneyBear Lilliehook said:

It's Christmas.....the rationale for no snow would also mean no Christmas decorations. 

...non reason... ask Australians.. the Middle East, no snow at all
or middle/south west europe...  mostly rain, wind, grey, wet, stormy....again no snow at all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

well i would say if you  start censoring peoples ability to celebrate holiday& seasons, then you are opening a hUGGE can of worms for all and not just the winter holidays .For example many people had some pretty sketchy halloween decorations which some people found objectionable because of real life trauma, example would be skeletons hanging from trees, and such . Not everyOne is going to like or appreciate the same things, and you can not expect your likes to be forced onto everyone . if you find something objectionable you have the ability to derender, as it is only for the season, and will be gone in a couple months. People are individuals and we are not all cut from the same cookie cutter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, HoneyBear Lilliehook said:

Not even the point

total to the point: the real christmas decor
spread two whole packs of straw on you livingroom floor, make a raw crib of lumber and put hay in it.
Go to the market, buy some living sheep, a cow/ox and a donkey.
Put those in your living for a week or two..
Have fun, but that's the real thing.

don't forget to make a appointment with your partner to get pregnant in time or you won't have a baby to keep in some old sheets ( hire a Rabi in time for the 7th day thingie they do to boys, and 3 royals for januari 6th)

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Saphyre Cyberstar said:

well i would say if you  start censoring peoples ability to celebrate holiday& seasons, then you are opening a hUGGE can of worms for all and not just the winter holidays .For example many people had some pretty sketchy halloween decorations which some people found objectionable because of real life trauma, example would be skeletons hanging from trees, and such . Not everyOne is going to like or appreciate the same things, and you can not expect your likes to be forced onto everyone . if you find something objectionable you have the ability to derender, as it is only for the season, and will be gone in a couple months. People are individuals and we are not all cut from the same cookie cutter.

I personally despise all things Halloween. If I saw something I didn't like, I derendered. I sure as heck didn't tell people they couldn't put it out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, HoneyBear Lilliehook said:

It's not like we're putting up pink and purple snow and that it's going to stay forever. It's Christmas.....the rationale for no snow would also mean no Christmas decorations. 

Not everyone celebrates Christmas.

ETA: And not everyone uses a viewer that can derender. For instance, the official SL viewer does not offer that ability.

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1623 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.