Snow add-on?

HoneyBear Lovely

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Interesting question, whether snow would be against covenant. 

A sprinkling of fall trees are one thing, but snow ... the mole landscaping is not scripted, so the flowers and trees will remain as they are.  I think a dusting of snow, like you might get in an early spring snow squall, would be OK.  But a parcel with drifts and snowy eaves would look a little strange, don't you think?  Unless done sort of ... just as part of Christmas decor, not as if actual weather brought snow.

• Thanks 1

While it might be sort of out of theme (seasonally only), I honestly can't see LL calling it "out of theme" enough that they would put a kibosh on it - i.e. make you take it up or they return items.  It is less out of theme than pink glowing trees and helipads in backyards or on roofs - and there are plenty of those things around Bellisseria.  However, IMO, it would definitely make your place look a bit odd if your plot and house is snow covered and everything around you looks like summer or maybe slightly fall-ish.

• Like 3

I can understand residents want to decorate their parcel with a snow theme in wintertime. I does not bother me personally if it looks a little out of place. SL is after all where people live their fantasy, and some people go nuts for snow and the holiday season. In this case though I think the owner of this home should have kept the snow within his/her parcel.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The problem is, this isn't mainland where "anything goes", this is a Linden Home area with a covenant that residents are supposed to follow. The whole idea of a themed area is that nothing looks out of place, which this clearly does. If people want to make their home environment look totally different to everyone else around them, then Bellisseria is not the place for them to be - that's what mainland is for.

I'd also like to point out that decoration is not the same as changing the overall environment. Whether people like it or not, seasons are fixed in SL, so the environment itself also becomes part of the theme.. that is in evidence in the way that the Moles have built these regions, and as residents who have agreed to the covenant, we all should be following it.

The bigger issue is of course that once a handful people think they don't need to follow the rules, then soon enough most people will think the same, and before you know it the place will turn into mainland v2.0. At that point, LL will probably get so bogged down with AR's that they'll simply give up on the place - it wouldn't be the first time.

Whilst I am probably sounding overly critical and pessimistic, I believe that Bellisseria is the best thing to have happened in SL in a very long time, so I would hate for all the work put in by the Lindens, Moles, and most residents, to amount to nothing due to a few individuals who have no consideration of others.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

i'm sorry, but in an area that's nothing but green surburbia, this doesn't look right 👎

eyesore.jpg

You really did a good job there, covering it up. And with snow dusted hedge and pine trees too!

It is lots of scripts in Belli. Maybe the moles could have scripted seasonal trees and switch a central control. Flying over Belli like snow faeries. I do not wish every tree to be scripted, even if the idea sounds tempting. The ground texture would need changing to frosty grass and solid snow.

Imagine the anger from those who don't want snow?

I would LOVE it, both winter trees and snow ground. But I think it is an impossible dream.

Icicles from the roof edge, and a bit of frosty snow over? That could be better. It would not be so visible as snow cover from a distance, not ruining the overall look.

• Like 4

I personally simply LOVE snow and absolutely have to have it from December to February in SL ... for I seldom see more than ten flakes in a week in my RL!  But all this said ... I agree to every word of  @Eowyn Southmoor !! Snow on some houses would just look awfull!!

I rent a little cottage in Cite de Coer where they do wonderfull seasons and that is the reason I am keeping it.

Plus I have a whole region with a Medieval Castle on in in Open Sim Craft Grid where I make seasons myself.

And if they would offer us a new snowy theme in Bellisseria one of my alts would rush to grab one.

Bur snowy addons in a summer theme??? No way!!!!

By the way ... there has been a long discussion about that way back in April! ;)

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Thanks 1

@Patch Linden

Residents using snow, yes or no?

2 minutes ago, TessaPaige Jupiter said:

Perhaps, not for the entire winter season but if you celebrate Christmas, why not?

I'm not sure about this. Something small that looks like a fake snow Christmas decoration, I could see that as decor.
Covering your plot so it look like you are in a  different climate zone, I can understand why many would find that objectionable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

@Patch Linden

Residents using snow, yes or no?

I'm not sure about this. Something small that looks like a fake snow Christmas decoration, I could see that as decor.
Covering your plot so it look like you are in a  different climate zone, I can understand why many would find that objectionable.

If the decoration is done tastefully and is whimsical I do not see an issue with it. If it is anything like the photo posted then ya, I'd say that is too much.

• Like 2

As I mentioned I simply LOVE seasons in SL if they are decorated by the regionowner in a rental district. Defenitely a big bonus!!

But I fully understand why the moles cannot do this! So as far as Christmas decorations are concerned I would prefer my neighbours to keep that to a minimum and do it in a way people in Africa or Australia or California or other spots of the world would do it where it NEVER snows and you can celebrate Christmas wearing bathing shorts or bikini.

... and a Santa hat worn with it! ;)

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Like 2

This is again one of those questions that, unless your last name is "Mole" or "Linden", the only thing you can give is your opinion.  If you want to decorate with snow - go ahead.  If you don't like someone's decorations - AR them.  Let the Lindens sort it all out.

I think, as we have seen numerous times, the covenant can be a source of confusion and debate.  

It's wonderful that people feel free to voice their opinion here in the forums, but the final decision is not ours.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I'd have to derender the crap out of that mess in the photo, just like I do any other ground cover that sticks out like a sore thumb from the surrounding parcels. IMO it's not "festive" if you are annoying everyone around you, but many drunken obnoxious revelers on various loud holidays clearly do not agree.  :| 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TessaPaige Jupiter said:

If the decoration is done tastefully and is whimsical I do not see an issue with it. If it is anything like the photo posted then ya, I'd say that is too much.

The problem is, who shall be the taste police? Moles or Lindens of course, but I can see it lead to annoyance "You removed my decor, wtf! Is his decor more tasteful than mine?!" And it's not worth it for them, I don't think they will touch a job based upon judging "taste" or "whimsical".

Edited by Marianne Little
added a sentence
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Interesting question, whether snow would be against covenant. 

A sprinkling of fall trees are one thing, but snow ... the mole landscaping is not scripted, so the flowers and trees will remain as they are.  I think a dusting of snow, like you might get in an early spring snow squall, would be OK.  But a parcel with drifts and snowy eaves would look a little strange, don't you think?  Unless done sort of ... just as part of Christmas decor, not as if actual weather brought snow.

I just want snow for the holidays. It's not breaking the theme, the house doesn't change, it just gets added snow.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I love snow. I love having four seasons. I wish this was a grid wide implementation by Linden Lab for Bellisseria. Otherwise, it really would look out of place. Not everyone would be happy with that. Which is totally understandable. We are all different. We want and like different things. It would be a joy to have a snow theme though. Wonderful idea. 

There are four seasons on my sister's sim and in the next few weeks that is where my entire family will be going back to fulltime. Our Bellisseria home was only going to be a holiday home and now it's time for us to get back to being surrounded by our entire clan and snow. 😊

at least for the winter season....

Edited by LyricalBookworm
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

The problem is, who shall be the taste police? Moles or Lindens of course, but I can see it lead to annoyance "You removed my decor, wtf! Is his decor more tasteful than mine?!" And it's not worth it for them, I don't think they will touch a job based upon judging "taste" or "whimsical".

LOL well it is a conundrum. I see no problem with people being festive. As long as people keep their snow within the boundaries of their parcel and ideally only up during holidays (give or take). At this point I say who cares? Lets just be accepting of others tasteful or crazy decorations. Spread the power of love to all our neighbors in Belli and have fun with it. I plan on having a little snow on my parcel, so there.😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.