Sign in to follow this  
unknown7

Cloth physics on Street Fighter V are excellent and very realistic

Has anyone seen those mods on SFV where they fit the girls with new clothes?  The skirts and dresses look awesome and move like real clothes.  If SFV can do it, then there must be a way to make clothes like that in Second Life.  Here's an example of what I'm talking about: Street Fighter V AE Karin vs Poison PC Mod.  Mesh clothes in SL move like tinfoil, while flexi is broken up into segments which make them look unreal.  Clothes here would look so much better if the cloth physics were more accurate.  I'm sure designers and merchants would benefit as well.  

Edited by unknown7

12 hours ago, unknown7 said:

Has anyone seen those mods on SFV where they fit the girls with new clothes?  The skirts and dresses look awesome and move like real clothes.  If SFV can do it, then there must be a way to make clothes like that in Second Life.  Here's an example of what I'm talking about: Street Fighter V AE Karin vs Poison PC Mod.  Mesh clothes in SL move like tinfoil, while flexi is broken up into segments which make them look unreal.  Clothes here would look so much better if the cloth physics were more accurate.  I'm sure designers and merchants would benefit as well.  

The cloth physics there is good. The transitions between the moves in SFV are as bad as they were in the original. That must be a stylistic decision; it doesn't have to be that bad any more.

It's much easier to have elaborate graphics in a game with only two hero characters always in the foreground. You know what the worst case graphics load is.

SL's big problem with avatar rendering is that avatars are almost always in hero mode, even when they're far away. Avatars do have levels of detail,  but the lower levels are usually awful and the viewer doesn't push them down to lower LODs much. Also, all parts of an avatar are normally at the same LOD, so that elaborate jewelry with filigree and engraving doesn't drop to a lower LOD when you're not looking at it in super close up. If SL could drop 20,000 triangle shoes to 200 triangles at 5 meters range, that would help a lot. Looking forward to progress from Project Arctan in this area.

4 hours ago, animats said:

The cloth physics there is good. The transitions between the moves in SFV are as bad as they were in the original. That must be a stylistic decision; it doesn't have to be that bad any more.

It's much easier to have elaborate graphics in a game with only two hero characters always in the foreground. You know what the worst case graphics load is.

SL's big problem with avatar rendering is that avatars are almost always in hero mode, even when they're far away. Avatars do have levels of detail,  but the lower levels are usually awful and the viewer doesn't push them down to lower LODs much. Also, all parts of an avatar are normally at the same LOD, so that elaborate jewelry with filigree and engraving doesn't drop to a lower LOD when you're not looking at it in super close up. If SL could drop 20,000 triangle shoes to 200 triangles at 5 meters range, that would help a lot. Looking forward to progress from Project Arctan in this area.

Yeah, it is about style isn't it?  I wouldn't have watched those videos if it hadn't been for the girls.  It's the same reason why I love to look at other people's avatars: it's an art form.

I would like simulated cloth in SL. However, I suspect as long as SL runs using OpenGL we are not going to see it. The calculation load to handle the cloth & body collision alone is way heavy.

You can see the difference in Blender. I've used cloth simulation in Blender for draped materials, e.g., table cloth, curtains, blouse, etc. 

So, while it is possible to do in SL, I am not sure it is resource efficient. Designers and users always seem to have to take any feature to its ultimate limit and overload the system...

• Like 1