Are there actual fads in SL?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 hours ago, Kira Zobel said:

This thread is bringing me into a deep pit of early SL nostalgia and I'm here for it.

I'm happy the fish face seems to have mostly vanished though.  

Fish face made me think of the 7 Seas fishing game. I know I have seen a few vendors around still but not sure the creator has added anything new for..ever.

On 11/4/2019 at 11:56 AM, Bree Giffen said:

FAD

noun

an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze.

Can anyone give an example of a fad in SL? I can't think of any but I'm sure there have been some. 

Lola's Tango mesh breasts.  

Deer antlers seemed to have been popular for a bit. 

The forest pieces from Skye Studios were on every sim for a time. 

On 11/5/2019 at 11:05 AM, MayaSmit said:

Giant avatars - When I first joined, all the ladies were about 8ft tall with 100 inch legs.

Some of the giant sized avatars were created by people that were involved in Second Life fashion shows.  Some of the stages were pretty big and in order to have more stage presence they had to make their avatars taller than the average.   Some just stuck with it off the runway.  

• Thanks 1

Evil Titlers were in for a while. They couldn't be set by the wearer, just anyone else in local range. Every so often they'd shout out that they could now be changed and the channel to type on to set them.

They were often set to "AFK: masturbating" and I don't know why the wearers were always so surprised.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Nextio said:

Convenience, language barriers, social anxiety, discrete infidelity, etc.

Well, sure. I guess?

Clearly there is a market for AFK sex, or it wouldn't have become as popular as it apparently has. What I was suggesting was simply that I, personally, didn't understand the appeal of watching cartoon sex that involves absolutely no interaction or engagement with a real person. I suppose one of the attractions for some might be the sense that you are "violating" someone's avatar, but that's a pretty hollow fiction too.

I'd have thought that most of those needs, except perhaps the language thing, could be satisfied by a real SL sex worker. But that would likely be much more expensive.

I wonder how many of the avatars parked at AFK sims are avis that have "normal" lives in SL -- in other words, that are used for something other than AFK sex -- and how many are simply bots created solely for that purpose?

In any case, there's nothing particularly objectionable about the practice. I just don't get it myself, at all.

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2019 at 1:56 PM, Bree Giffen said:

FAD

noun

an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze.

Can anyone give an example of a fad in SL? I can't think of any but I'm sure there have been some. 

gatchas

Niramyth I would consider having been a FAD. Every guy I personally knew for a while there it seem like were using their mesh body. It's the reason I bought it when I decided to give mesh a try just to see what all the fuss was about. Funny thing was a lot of my friends were either to lazy or didn't know about having to change the shape to tweak the bulk of the size down. Took me a minute to work it out because it doesn't exactly come with any clear and concise instructions. I almost didn't use it past the testing phase because I didn't want to look like a He-Man action figure in SL. lol :D

It's a good body if you want muscle tone and definition on your av and being a boxer in SL it works for me. I was able to tweak the color options to match my skin. That being said it lacks in customization options of being able to really use a lot of tattoo layers and it does not have any option for skin layers at all. It's had no updates in years and customer support is complete crap or it was a few years back anyway. I contacted them and no one ever has even bothered to get in touch with me. In fact I don't even remember why I bothered to contact them in the first place it's been so long. lol 😁

Their DEV kit is no transfer and you have to buy the body in order to develop content for it which is pretty shady if ya ask me. My SL wife at one point was thinking about reopening her store and updating a lot of her stuff to mesh once she had the free time in RL to set a side for it. She was considering and toying around with the idea of doing a men's clothing line and was considering Niramyth as an option for the reason that a lot of guys at the time were using it. She was hesitant on spending that much for a body only for the developer kit. I was like stuff that noise. Just use mine. Not like I need it. lol ;)

4 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

gatchas

I don't consider gachas a fad.  Sure, some people don't play or like them but they are everywhere and they don't seem to be losing popularity.  What has changed in regards to gachas is that creators and events are working out some of the problems people have with them.   For instance, The Epiphany and their point system that you can redeem for exclusives not included in the set but designed to coordinate with the pieces, Gacha Garden and their Seed Of Inspiration prize for so many plays, and PocketGacha (and others) offering the opportunity to buy all the items in the gacha for a high price.  

I find gacha's fun so I like playing them.  I do kind of wish though that a script would be created that would allow the extras we get to be turned in for store credit at the store that created the set.  That way getting duplicates would be beneficial and wouldn't take up space in our inventories until we can give away or sell.   (Rez item, pop up window comes up, option of "Apply Credit" and the pull price (or a percentage of the pull price) would be added to your store credit. )

25 minutes ago, Yhishara Cerise said:

I don't consider gachas a fad.  Sure, some people don't play or like them but they are everywhere and they don't seem to be losing popularity.  What has changed in regards to gachas is that creators and events are working out some of the problems people have with them.   For instance, The Epiphany and their point system that you can redeem for exclusives not included in the set but designed to coordinate with the pieces, Gacha Garden and their Seed Of Inspiration prize for so many plays, and PocketGacha (and others) offering the opportunity to buy all the items in the gacha for a high price.  

I find gacha's fun so I like playing them.  I do kind of wish though that a script would be created that would allow the extras we get to be turned in for store credit at the store that created the set.  That way getting duplicates would be beneficial and wouldn't take up space in our inventories until we can give away or sell.   (Rez item, pop up window comes up, option of "Apply Credit" and the pull price (or a percentage of the pull price) would be added to your store credit. )

the whole point in this scam system us to get you to keep plunking your money in why would they give you credit. This is the biggest scam going.  by definition it IS a fad. but you knock yourself out with it, its your money. ; )

• Like 1

One of the most popular modern day fads has got to be pressing F5 repeatedly (within set limits, of course) to refresh the Land page in the hope of getting one of the new Linden Homes.

However, the "fad of all fads" award, at the moment, surely has to go to abandoning a new Linden Home, then pressing F5 repeatedly in the hope of getting a better new Linden Home!  (Lazier Craftier players of this have discovered the joys of auto-refresh functions.)

Lots of folks, who haven't yet succeeded in getting one of the new homes, will be praying that this will soon rate as a "short-lived" fad, I'm sure!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.