Are there actual fads in SL?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

20 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I still have all my Xcite stuffs, I should break it all out and set it to promiscuous and to chat everything in the open. Because sometimes retro is a thing.

I still have some from... must be 2008 or 2009.  I am sure I spent a skall fortune on it.

I have seen noob freenises that look better.

6 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

I still have some from... must be 2008 or 2009.  I am sure I spent a skall fortune on it.

I have seen noob freenises that look better.

2006 girl-bits, bootie, boobs, mouth, nose, ears, and HAIR! Yes, HAIR!  A script that allowed others to pull your hair (just a click and then it would chat who and what, blah, blah) - still have all of that! Hahaha. Back in the good old days when almost *everything* was copy AND modify.

Oh, to be clear, one puts that script into the prim/flexi hair object. That was MODIFY. Like almost ALL of them. LOL /me sighs and reminisces "those were the good ol' days of SL..."

Edited by Alyona Su

13 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

2006 girl-bits, bootie, boobs, mouth, nose, ears, and HAIR! Yes, HAIR!  A script that allowed others to pull your hair (just a click and then it would chat who and what, blah, blah) - still have all of that! Hahaha. Back in the good old days when almost *everything* was copy AND modify.

Oh, to be clear, one puts that script into the prim/flexi hair object. That was MODIFY. Like almost ALL of them. LOL /me sighs and reminisces "those were the good ol' days of SL..."

I remember adding one of those scripts to my neko tail, and editing the notecard to change what it said.

Perhaps mo-mod stuff IS a good idea after all... 😂

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

To be fair, you can get hair pullers still now as been one made by a brand that more current.

12 minutes ago, MrsSeren said:

To be fair, you can get hair pullers still now as been one made by a brand that more current.

The hair puller script itself wasn't the point. it was that Xcite actually made one and I purchased it. ")

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

I was talking about a CyberGoth Neko\Elf period when I first started. K&L outfits complete with skin and hair, for the complete Cybergoth look the A&Y Cyber locks too with optional mask. Such a cool look. My avatar complexity must have been frightening - lol.

Surprised no one has mentioned steampunk, there is still a presence in world but it doesn't seem to be anything like as big as it was.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

to add...I have all of those, and thighs, tummy (not a pregnant tummy), belly button ring, shoulders too I think (or something along those lines), feet. 

ok, I own a lot of xcite stuff, at the very least everything (female) they made/sold from like 2008 to probably 2011-ish, maybe later, it's hard to remember. Of course none of that has had any use, or need for use I suppose, in many years now, since their rl counterparts are way more fun, and stuff. Back then if you dared check my transparencies, pretty much all of me lit up like a lobster straight out the boiling pot. 

I used to take all of our old TSO refugees to xcite-sometimes on their first day on the grid, priorities you know, lmao. We had field trips and went as a group all the time, because, as you're well aware, getting those things placed correctly was damn near impossible. Then we'd go to the castle yard and work on nipple and bit placement (this was some random castle we found in 2008, vampires lived there, when they were actually home. They were awesome people, didn't care at all that we used their land. We even used to play tag and hide and seek with them. I really need to look up the place, I always forget the name...but I'm rambling again)

6 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

You mean facelights, Xcite, and huggers were FADS?

Good grief, I'm farther behind the times than I thought.

Yes, I agree. I'm not so sure those were fads, by definition. They are all still around. Perhaps not so relevant, but still around.

Here's some I rarely ever see anymore:

Nekos. Modifiable outfits and hair. Stand-alone shopping malls. Truly welcoming groups of people instantly and genuinely welcoming a newcomer into their space.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

Nekos. Modifiable outfits and hair. Stand-alone shopping malls. Truly welcoming groups of people instantly and genuinely welcoming a newcomer into their space.

Modifiable outfits survive in the furry community. I never exactly understood why that divide happened. Granted since we use human mesh bodies a lot of the time, it's not as common as it used to be, but almost every furry who makes clothes leaves them moddable. Especially for non-human bodies.

Hair though? Truth at least keeps theirs mod-enabled, unless it's rigged.

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Like 1

There used to be facelights in just about everything.  Facelights on mesh doesn't look good.  It just looks like your face is glowing.  The lumi lights that surround your avatar for photography are cool though but you can make your own set if you know how to work the basic SL tools and not spend 3200 linden or something like that for lumi lights.  I have some for free that I made if anyone wants a set...just IM me inworld.  

• Like 1

Don't forget the spankers and titlers as fads. There was a time you couldn't go anywhere without hearing a smack and "so and so spanked so and so".

And titlers- where other people could put a title over your head - naughty titles and such - 

Just cringing at the memories!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

I have never heard of them. What do they do, other than emit light?

The one I am thinking of has various lights that attach to the avatar that are movable via a hud. You can change color and intensity and position via the hud. It’s useful for photographers because it can be attached rather than rezzed. It’s a neat product, but too rich for my blood... very pricey.

ETA: I still see (read) those spankers all of the time. Probably three times in the past week at events, and I can never figure out how to block them. Is it even possible? 

Edited by Eva Knoller
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

I have never heard of them. What do they do, other than emit light?

I forgot the name whether it was lumi lights or lumi balls but I saw them on Marketplace and made my own.  They are for photography.  You wear them and then position them around your avatar where you like the lighting effect.  You can wear one, two or three depending on how you want the photograph to be lit.  

They are lights that are used in rl for photography and film...like the schematic below and are basically key light, fill light and back light.  There are many different kinds on MP with a gadget (push button kind of stuff) but if you know how to use the built-in SL tools you can move them around your avatar.  I made mine by rezzing balls and then I set either full bright or glow and move them around my avatar.  You have to make each one wearable.  I'm not putting down other's work who have made some of the gadgets for SL photography as their's do more but I thought my free ones were sufficient for what I needed and they do make very interesting SL photographs.   If you know how to use the built-in SL tools built into every object in SL, you can color your own by clicking on the texture tab of the edit menu and then open the color picker palette by clicking on the oblong box below the word color.  To make a projector, check the LIGHT box area found in the Features area of the edit menu. 

The most important thing about lumi lights is you need patience and a darkened environment setting as dark as you can get.   It mostly resembles moonlight.  But, you can always experiment.  

Edit:  Below is a picture I did using lumi lights.  After you position the light balls around your avatar, you then turn them transparent so the lights can't be seen but the light is still there.  There are huds with buttons that will do all this for you; however, the built-in SL tools do the same thing...you just need to locate where the tools are in the edit menu.   The lights are awesome for black and white photography...though I always preferred black and white photography...so it could just be me and my preference.  (Sorry pic looks cruddy here but not elsewhere...but I think you can sort get an idea.)

lumi lights.jpg

Snapshot_2078 (10) copy.jpg

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, BelindaN said:

@FairreLilette Now that pic^^^^^ is in my top five best faves. I want to dress up like that. The outfit is just right, fab wings, and really matched hair. 

I've gushed enough. 😊

Oh, thankies!  

The flowers are from Lode Juliette

The hair is Rae in blondes (I can't remember if I got the light or dark blondes - I think I got both)

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AD-rae-blacks/8105743

Just Because Sammy Gown - White (I love Just Because Gowns for my Fairies and Angels - they have an ethereal quality)

The wings I cannot seem to find on Marketplace.  I may have gotten them inworld.  They are by Nomiki Creations - Misty Fae Wings / Starlight Silver and were free.  I have the add in the folder with the wings.  I may have gotten them at this place:  A Medieval Fantasy Elven Fairy Dress & Gown Clothes Market inworld.  

p.s.  Sorry the photo is grainy.  It's one of the largest photos you can make inworld via changing the settings.  That size does not fit on the forum.  Thus, I guess, that's why many go to Flickr.  The large photos cannot be downloaded here.

Flower link here...I spelled it wrong but it's these:   I think the correct spelling is Juliet for the roses.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/search?utf8=✓&search[category_id]=&search[maturity_level]=GMA&search[keywords]=Lode+Juliete

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.