Are there actual fads in SL?

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Pretty much everything and anything that has ever had a following of more than a couple dozen people, is,or was once, a fad. Few instances do they need to be brand specific, because....lots of brands. Some I partake in, or have, some I do not, never have, and never will :) 

(and before any knickers get knotted in nethers...not all fads are bad, nor would I ever suggest they are...)

Breedables most definitely are-with most brands of such having their own heyday, even those that still continue today are long past said heyday, but still are very much a popular fad all the same

Camping- you can actually still do this in some places (mostly obscure, not frequently traveled places)

mesh bodies-those are probably one of the strongest fads, primarily because they have  a much larger audience by a fairly large margin, than anything else ever has in sl

shoes/heels with feet-although not as common today, I've still seen some around

bits and pieces of the dangly, perky, pointy, wrinkly, bouncy,  extraordinarily oversized and disproportionate, also typically seen as adult and sometimes VERY chatty.. variety

prim babies- be it prim, sculpt, mesh, animesh...they have been a fad for a very long time

bling-no explanation needed

wearable particles-this is a fad of a different color, but still a fad

tummy talkers

conception huds/systems-not the same as the above, although sometimes packaged with

MCs

gambling once was-for some, still is, the current state may be debatable

magic box rentals-and by this, I mean places people could rent to place them -being only 1 prim...those farms were massive lmao

that one oddly bright, kinda pretty, but also sometimes a pain in the ascot cherry tree we all seem to have (it's not even a cherry tree <~~read that in the she doesn't even go here" voice from mean girls)

talking jewelry

I lost my train of thought after the not even a cherry tree thing, lmao. I'll come back if I remember where else I was going with this. 

3 hours ago, DonnaDK said:

Brief 4chan influence for a while, too - singing bananaphones, nyan cats, anon avatars, etc etc. \

Oh wow, I'd forgotten about the bananaphones!  You could almost count on finding at least one if you visited Public Help Island or an Infohub.

I still see the Neko/Furry footprint thingies occasionally.

A current fad that I could well do without...GTFO, or Get The Freight Out.  It's a seagoing shipping game.  I wouldn't mind it so much except that my neighbor has put in a GTFO terminal in next door to the Masocado Resort.  The two styles of seaside builds really clash.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

FAD

noun

an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze.

Can anyone give an example of a fad in SL? I can't think of any but I'm sure there have been some. 

I think of Gatcha is the big SL fad of the last few years, but apparently its never going away, so I guess its not.

Reading all this makes me feel like I'm on the bottom rung, or just out of college, and not getting wtf is going on.

Does any of this make SL better? Like more fulfilling? I've dabbled with bling, and one pair of wings, but that's me done. None of the rest of it would add anything to my self indulgence.

I hate gatchas.....and overpriced FPs.

Just saying. :)

Kemonos and Petites. At least, I’ve hardly seen any nowadays. I recently went wandering using both (was feeling nostalgic), and didn’t run into any fellow Petites. 😭 I did find some fellow Kemonos but there was a language barrier. 😅

~Vael

Kemono bodies live on in the furry community, they're still the only way to get that toony body shape.

As for fads... Zion Chickens (iirc) would be the best example. One of the earliest breedables, now used by absolutely nobody.

Or for one that's not a specific product, "Sad baby" ads for products, as described by Arduenn. My friends and I still laugh at those at events.

Gachas seemed to be a fad. But it now seems to that residents love gambling for their purchases, so it's probably not fair to refer to them as a fad any longer.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Is Xcite still a thing? It had a habit of shouting out its updates as it went through various naughty body parts, and to be fair, a lot of people were genuinely embarrassed when they realised it was actually in local.

Xcite does still exist but they lost pretty much the entire market to VAW and Aeros, as well as smaller businesses. Mostly cause of that kind of thing and refusing to update or improve.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Oh wow, I'd forgotten about the bananaphones!  You could almost count on finding at least one if you visited Public Help Island or an Infohub.

The peak of noob hilarity back then 😕 I'm well guilty of it though 😄

9 hours ago, Morena Tully said:

Going way back here, but BIG Boots used to be everywhere in SL.. It was definitely a fad, and one I still think is kinda cool.

Stomp boots 😍 SO much easier than fiddling around with heels and alphas. Additional rave lights a definite plus.

3 hours ago, Emma Krokus said:

Wings!

2009 ish - Used to wear them all the time

I'd forgotten about these! So popular they even put on "Best In Wings - 500L"-type  contests. Along with 'Best In Boots'. Which was another reason to buy stomp boots 🤩

• Like 1

Right now it seems like doll-like kawaii/lolita avatars are very popular thanks to the release of the genus baby face -- I'm an adopter of the style too. It has a completely different feel to it than a standard, anime avatar -- the clothing is lolita, but the faces seem influenced by Korean and Chinese makeup. It used to be a niche style, centralized just within the Asian community in SL, but it has since branched out to westerners.

Many models and creators on flickr follow the trend now, and make apparel and cosmetics for the genre.

49012662928_47545e7edc_k.jpg48997596393_3864c094a2_k.jpg

Credits to Nekotto and Akiyo Noguchi on Flickr

Unknown K-Pop Idols below, for comparison

The-20-Most-Popular-Idol-Girls-Picked-By-Female-Netizens1.jpg

Gesturbating? - Maybe I just spend time in different sims these days, but a few years ago I'm sure gestures were way more popular and accepted (albeit always annoying). Now it feels embarrassing when one slips out. 

Bloodlines - Nobody has asked to steal my soul for a long time now.

Hug & Kiss HUDS - Remember these? Delicately positioning your avatars to sort of look like you're kissing?

Giant avatars - When I first joined, all the ladies were about 8ft tall with 100 inch legs.

Tiny avatars - Then a couple of years later everyone was small and curvy. This also accompanied the PhatAzz and Lola Tango craze.

Sandboxes - Nobody seems to use or need them these days?

6 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Is Xcite still a thing? It had a habit of shouting out its updates as it went through various naughty body parts, and to be fair, a lot of people were genuinely embarrassed when they realised it was actually in local.

Although I didn't use their stuff --- I was in their support group at the insistence of someone for the comedy value. I remember ROFLing when someone would post in the group that their naughty part got put on the floor instead of the avi, especially in front of others around!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Although I didn't use their stuff --- I was in their support group at the insistence of someone for the comedy value. I remember ROFLing when someone would post in the group that their naughty part got put on the floor instead of the avi, especially in front of others around!

I still have all my Xcite stuffs, I should break it all out and set it to promiscuous and to chat everything in the open. Because sometimes retro is a thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Reading all this makes me feel like I'm on the bottom rung, or just out of college, and not getting wtf is going on.

Does any of this make SL better? Like more fulfilling? I've dabbled with bling, and one pair of wings, but that's me done. None of the rest of it would add anything to my self indulgence.

I hate gatchas.....and overpriced FPs.

Just saying.

That makes you and me both.  I was rezzed at the tail end of the double-namer generation, so I'm too young to have shared memories with others on here.  It's fun reading about all the aforementioned things that happened before our time.  I feel like a kid sitting around listening to oldbies tell these stories from days of yore.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1612 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.