Which viewer is best to have multiple accounts logged in at once.

GrayNathan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, MarissaOrloff said:

It all depends on your computer and GPU. If youre using a $400 laptop from Walmart... multiple accts logged in at the same time are not going to work. If youre using a desktop with one of the new AMD R9's (12 and 16 core) with a RTX-2080ti and 64GB of ram or more then the sky is the limit. 

Wouldn't your Internet bandwidth be the limit? Just saying. LOL

Edited by Alyona Su

2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Wouldn't;t your Internet bandwidth be the limit? Just saying. LOL

No. The moment your internet connection would result in not being able to connect with multiple sessions at the same time is the moment you'll not be able to stay online in a single session. SL uses incredibly little, next to nothing when not currently downloading stuff. Really the only limit in almost all configurations will always be your RAM, no more RAM no more Viewers.

30 minutes ago, NiranV Dean said:

No. The moment your internet connection would result in not being able to connect with multiple sessions at the same time is the moment you'll not be able to stay online in a single session. SL uses incredibly little, next to nothing when not currently downloading stuff. Really the only limit in almost all configurations will always be your RAM, no more RAM no more Viewers.

According to others, SL is about average 1GB an hour. So it still seems your bandwidth could be a limiting factor.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

According to others, SL is about average 1GB an hour. So it still seems your bandwidth could be a limiting factor.

Because the Viewer is downloading gigabytes worth of textures and data with people coming and going, idling at a place and not doing much besides talking with the same people around will basically cost you next to nothing. These extras are not necessary for SL to function though, SL prioritises the bandwidth it needs to stay alive over additional things like downloading stuff. So the moment you have logged in successfully you're safe unless you lose connection for ~30-60 seconds in a short timeframe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Watching a 720p video on Youtube for an hour costs you about 1.2-1.5 GB. When it's 1080p, you're looking at 2-3 GB.

11 hours ago, NiranV Dean said:

Because the Viewer is downloading gigabytes worth of textures and data with people coming and going, idling at a place and not doing much besides talking with the same people around will basically cost you next to nothing. These extras are not necessary for SL to function though, SL prioritises the bandwidth it needs to stay alive over additional things like downloading stuff. So the moment you have logged in successfully you're safe unless you lose connection for ~30-60 seconds in a short timeframe.

These are already known. So let's get back to the subject: It was stated that with the right equipment, the sky is the limit. To which I stated, that the actual limit is bandwidth. In other-words, you'll hit the limit to whatever bandwidth you have long before you ever reach the sky. Even in other languages, the context should have indicated "humor" was the goal here.

The viewers your subjects are in can be running with most of the settings at the bare minimum. The only copy of the viewer that should be using many resources is the one you’re taking the picture from. The rest will be background tasks and use very little in the way of CPU, memory, GPU or bandwidth. If you’re running 5 viewer on ultra, you’re doing it wrong. Firestorm is probably a good choice for your subjects because you can set things lower than in the Linden viewer without using debug settings.

• 1 month later...

First, my setup is gaming desktop (Win 7) with twin 27" monitors running full screen (designed for flight and train simming), which I use to run my primary avatar.  It is wifi coupled to a gaming laptop (Win 10) which (usually) runs my wife's/partner's avatar.  If you want to run multiple avatars I would recommend this type of setup.  Running multiple avatars with a single computer is a royal pain, and nearly impossible with a single monitor.  Second, you need a good high speed internet connection with comperable wifi.  I have tried both the S L viewer and the Firestorm viewer in various combinations, and I have found that Firestorm on both computers works the best.  You might get different results.  The bottom line is speed and horsepower.  I hope that this helps.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.