Inactivebystander

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That is not a bad idea. Some are skybox dwellers. They do not need or want landscaping.

I am not sure that I would want a plot on no-rules mainland. I enjoy ground living. On Belli, we have protected land to act like a buffer zone around the plots, and rules.

But I am sure someone want a plot for whatever house, shack, junkyard, treehouse, garage or castle, or a secluded place in the sky for free. It would appeal to them.

It would not make mainland prettier. LL has rejected the idea to beautify empty mainland before.

They can change that, of course, if they decide to.

Interesting idea! They could for example offer a 1024 plot as an alternative to getting a new Premium home on 1024 or the campers 512 with 512 land. I'm sure some people would like the option to just have land to build whatever they want. Not convinced LL would do this though, and then there's the question of is there enough abandoned land to satisfy any demand.

I'm sure someone will argue though that if someone just wants land they can get abandoned land anyway:) That's true. But I think having dedicated plots for Premium members as an option might be a nice idea. There are large areas of abandoned land that could be carved up into smaller 1024 plots. Maybe it could come with a content pack (like the trads etc. do) with a choice of little houses or other bits and pieces in.

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Knutz Scorpio said:

I suspect a too strong influence of a land barons lobbying group that prevents the Lindens from doing something like this.

In a video they did say that their goal was to move away from Land as a big income source and more toward content (if I remember correctly), so doing something as suggested in this thread might line up with that.

2 hours ago, Inactivebystander said:

Make abandon land great again!

Benefits: 

• It will save on server hosting cost!  
  • It could help keeping cost low for SL users? 
  • Update mainland
  • Attractive mainland

this post doesn't belong in the Linden Home section, but in the general mainland discussion topic.
second: this is all in residents hands, all residents can request to buy abandoned mainland.  Landbarons have no role or part in this mechanism.

1 hour ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

Interesting idea!

I'm sure someone will argue though that if someone just wants land they can get abandoned land anyway:) That's true. But I think having dedicated plots for Premium members as an option might be a nice idea. There are large areas of abandoned land that could be carved up into smaller 1024 plots. Maybe it could come with a content pack (like the trads etc. do) with a choice of little houses or other bits and pieces in.

Yep here's one ... totally disagree
Turning more mainland into Belliseria Dictatorship?... no thanks. Stay where you are behind the walls of those continents. Because reading that last line you'r wanting that.
Thank god they can't even keep up with demand there, the mainland won't be turning into such gettos in the next ten years.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Part of the fun is the random allocation of plot, I did find myself wondering what would happen if our refreshers moved on to the wider grid. The trouble I see is that a localised covenant doesn't really cover the longest draw distance, unless the abandoned land is large enough. You could still see the low slung skyboxes, and full bright wotsits in neighbouring regions.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

this post doesn't belong in the Linden Home section, but in the general mainland discussion topic.
second: this is all in residents hands, all residents can request to buy abandoned mainland.  Landbarons have no role or part in this mechanism.

Yep here's one ... totally disagree
Turning more mainland into Belliseria Dictatorship?... no thanks. Stay where you are behind the walls of those continents. Because reading that last line you'r wanting that.
Thank god they can't even keep up with demand there, the mainland won't be turning into such gettos in the next ten years.

I don't know why you think that SL isn't big enough to hold both mainland and another mainland. It makes me wonder if you are the dictator, deciding that people who want some rules, can not have it.

Buy abandoned land is just that.... BUY. It is not a Linden home without any cost, and a Linden part of land could easy be an alternative. That Linden land could have some rules.

Abandoned land does not give me protection from one who will set up a 200 m high wall on the border next to me. Or have his skybox 50 M over the ground. Anyone can run over others and the only way to deal with it is mute, derender and lock yourself in a fortress to hold out others. Is that locking others out or seal yourself in a prison? If derender worked so well that I could choose the land and derender all on it in one click, it would be more interesting.

More choices isn't removing peoples freedom, but adding more options. It would be 2 options without more cost than the Premium membership, without removing the option of buying mainland without rules, or renting from landbarons.

I do wholeheartedly agree that it must be 2 different continents. Mixing up it would be a virtual Balkan Peninsula.

• Like 3

MAKE ABANDON LAND INTO PREMIUM LAND

Abandoned land is already PREMIUM land.  It is Mainland and you cannot own Mainland without being Premium.

2 hours ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

They could for example offer a 1024 plot as an alternative to getting a new Premium home on 1024 or the campers 512 with 512 land. I'm sure some people would like the option to just have land to build whatever they want.

This is already an option.  Any Premium member can go get a 1024 or smaller plot of Mainland in lieu of a Linden Home.  And they can do it with abandoned land by just asking LL for the land.  As long as it is not a highly desirable piece of land that would sell well via auction, LL will sell it to any Premium member that asks.  Maybe they just need to advertise it more.

They aren't going to go change existing abandoned land into Linden Home areas because there is no control over what happens on the areas that are not abandoned next to the abandoned areas.  Not too mention that the abandoned land is scattered throughout the mainland and lots of it is not even full regions. 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This is already an option.  Any Premium member can go get a 1024 or smaller plot of Mainland in lieu of a Linden Home.  And they can do it with abandoned land by just asking LL for the land...LL will sell it to any Premium member that asks.

Yes, I know, I've done that myself in the past.  I think what the OP might be suggesting is that it comes as part of the Premium perks, i.e you get the land, or you get a linden home - so you wouldn't be buying the land, as you have to do now if you want abandoned land.

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

Yes, I know, I've done that myself in the past.  I think what the OP might be suggesting is that it comes as part of the Premium perks, i.e you get the land, or you get a linden home - so you wouldn't be buying the land, as you have to do now if you want abandoned land.

Unfortunately, that would probably result in situations like what First Land was like waaaayyyyy back when.  If you could get land for free and then sell it, you could possibly make enough profit to justify the cost of Premium.  If such were to be done, they'd probably have to restrict it to only one abandoned plot per Premium account, ever - to prevent the abuse.   Or somehow put a restriction on it such that you cannot sell it, but only abandon it back to LL.  Not sure how easy or hard it would be to code the selling restriction into the current system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

I'm thinking use abandon land for Linden homes and upgrade the look; update the landscape, for example roads, trees, nature, with option to pick a Linden home or business build?  Maybe make it themed area's? Possibilities for other residents that don't want a Linden home being able to buy land around the Linden homes to adopt the style? 

Why leave all of it empty its only costing and a lot of mainland needs serieus updating. That could be a solution!

Just trowing in a subject to brainstorm about

Edited by Inactivebystander

13 minutes ago, Inactivebystander said:

I'm thinking use abandon land for Linden homes and upgrade the look; update the landscape, for example roads, trees, nature, with option to pick a Linden home or business build?  Maybe make it themed area's? Possibilities for other residents that don't want a Linden home being able to buy land around the Linden homes to adopt the style? 

Why leave all of it empty its only costing and a lot of mainland needs serieus updating. That could be a solution!

Just trowing in a subject to brainstorm about

Not going to happen for a variety of reasons.  Unless an entire region is abandoned, LL cannot control the parcels and associated LI as easily.  Even if they have an entire region abandoned, they just aren't going to go create the pretty stuff in the middle of what can very easily turn into a major eyesore.  Most people that go for Linden Homes do so because the want the rigid control of the areas around them. LL can't give them that by just creating homes in random abandoned spots.  They still have tons of work to do on the new area, so they don't have the resources to go play with mainland areas that folks may or may not even want.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I don't know why you think that SL isn't big enough to hold both mainland and another mainland. It makes me wonder if you are the dictator, deciding that people who want some rules, can not have it.

Buy abandoned land is just that.... BUY. It is not a Linden home without any cost, and a Linden part of land could easy be an alternative. That Linden land could have some rules.

Abandoned land does not give me protection from one who will set up a 200 m high wall on the border next to me. Or have his skybox 50 M over the ground. Anyone can run over others and the only way to deal with it is mute, derender and lock yourself in a fortress to hold out others. Is that locking others out or seal yourself in a prison? If derender worked so well that I could choose the land and derender all on it in one click, it would be more interesting.

More choices isn't removing peoples freedom, but adding more options. It would be 2 options without more cost than the Premium membership, without removing the option of buying mainland without rules, or renting from landbarons.

I do wholeheartedly agree that it must be 2 different continents. Mixing up it would be a virtual Balkan Peninsula.

Hard agree. Mainland living holds zero appeal to me, for just those reasons. I've rented estate land for the past 10 years, and only this month went premium for the advantages of estate living for a slightly less expensive rent.

This is pretty interesting. I was thinking of starting a thread something like "What would it take to get you into some Mainland today?" This thread is better.

I was thinking of it as an additional, super-Premium perk, something you'd get in addition to the existing, one Bellisseria parcel land allotment, but maybe that's wrong, or too limiting. An alternative to Bellisseria would be a valid use case, too.

A caveat: it's likely that "server hosting cost" won't need to be such a big consideration once SL simulators move to the cloud. Or maybe it'll take an extra year to take full advantage of virtualizing the sim. The point is, a mostly empty sim shouldn't cost much to host on AWS (or wherever) once it's efficient about running idle. A few years ago the Lab developed a simplistic "idle" mode for sims, but I expect they'll take this much further once they're paying for cloud capacity.

Still, it would be a win if they could lure more people to own land, or to own more land, or to spend more on their subscriptions to get more land -- not just because the land+subscription itself generates revenue, but because a parcel is almost as good as an avatar at selling more virtual content.

Very interesting:

5 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

Part of the fun is the random allocation of plot, [...]

So yeah, what if another option for abandoned land, in addition to auctioning it off or selling it on demand, is to get a hunk of it for use as an "unfurnished Linden Homes parcel" (or something like that) which you could do with as you wish under Mainland covenant, then abandon back into the pool (not sell)? Let a special team of Moles farm some Mainland sims to form these parcels with just enough landscaping between them to encourage community spirit among neighbors, and maybe at most a choice of optional builds just to get things started.

Set the regions to the Bellisseria rules and covenant about scripted security, access control, all that jazz.

I bet they've learned plenty from Bellisseria to know what works and what doesn't.

• Like 3

if was me, then with mainland parcel ownership I would be thinking about how to get more people to prepay

currently to get 2048 tier at the lowest cost then we open 2 separate accounts and prepay $US99 for each one - total $US198

what I would consider doing is selling a Premium Double package for say $US180 (10% discount). Get 600L stipend and 2048 tiers

and maybe a Premium Quad package.  1200L stipend. 4096 tiers. For $US320pa prepaid (20% discount)  

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.