llDialog wiki page: error in caveats

KT Kingsley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The last of the caveats on the llDialog wiki page states:

If the script generates button labels from outside sources like inventory or object names, take care to avoid the special string "!!llTextBox!!". This text, in button 0, will cause llDialog to behave as llTextBox instead.

My own tests suggest that that text in a button label in any position will cause the llTextBox behaviour. I don't have wiki editing access, but I'm also not sure if this is an error in the wiki or a bug. Or maybe an error in my thinking or my test:

{
    touch_end (integer count)
    {
        llDialog (llDetectedKey (0), "llTextBox!! test", ["This", "That", "!!llTextBox!!"], -999);
    }
}

I remember seeing that note and thinking that it's strange to warn scripters to avoid a rather rare (and unlikely) string "!!llTextBox!!" as a button label. I can't imagine that it's a situation that many scripters will blunder into, so my guess is that some clever person discovered it as a hack in the days before llTextBox was introduced.  The revision history for that wiki page doesn't hold any clues that I can see about who put the caveat there, or why.  I'll test it myself when I get a chance and update it if necessary. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I remember seeing that note and thinking that it's strange to warn scripters to avoid a rather rare (and unlikely) string "!!llTextBox!!" as a button label. I can't imagine that it's a situation that many scripters will blunder into...

*Sets display name to !!llTextBox!!*

Also:
cf034a4a3e.png

Edit: Unfortunately "!" is not an allowed character in display names...

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.