Sign in to follow this  
SleazyWhippet

Mischief night

Just a heads-up to everyone, I saw a bunch of people in the sandbox earlier and they said that tonight is Mischief Night, they are going to spend Saturday night on SL crashing sims and especially targeting events. I thought I would pass this on, please be safe inworld tonight. 

Just now, SleazyWhippet said:

Just a heads-up to everyone, I saw a bunch of people in the sandbox earlier and they said that tonight is Mischief Night, they are going to spend Saturday night on SL crashing sims and especially targeting events. I thought I would pass this on, please be safe inworld tonight. 

That's when you AR their local chat.  Nothing we can do on the forums.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

That's when you AR their local chat.  Nothing we can do on the forums.

I didn't AR in case they got into trouble, worked out it was me and came after me for revenge. I don't want my graphics card fried.

• Confused 1

@SleazyWhippet

I have repeatedly heard that devices exist that can "fry your graphics card."  However, every such rumor has only been of the "someone told me that someone told them that..." variety.  I have never gotten credible first hand evidence of such a device, or a report from someone I trust that had it happen to them.

There ARE devices ("graphics crashers") that show your viewer objects with incredibly high complexities...in the millions.  This can cause your graphics card to choke, and can crash your viewer.  But, as far as I know, it can NOT physically damage your graphics card.

Protect yourself against graphics crashers by setting your maximum Avatar Complexity slider to anything lower than "unlimited".  (Most crashers are objects worn by the attacking avatar.)

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mischief night is November 4th in the UK, but has fizzled out under relentless hype over Halloween, which is not widely celebrated hereabouts.

5 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

@SleazyWhippet

I have repeatedly heard that devices exist that can "fry your graphics card."  However, every such rumor has only been of the "someone told me that someone told them that..."  I have never gotten credible first hand evidence of such a device, or a report from someone I trust that had it happen to them.

There ARE devices ("graphics crashers") that show your viewer objects with incredibly high complexities...in the millions.  This can cause your graphics card to choke, and can crash your viewer.  But, as far as I know, it can NOT physically damage your graphics card.

Protect yourself against graphics crashers by setting your maximum Avatar Complexity slider to anything lower than "unlimited".  (Most crashers are objects worn by the attacking avatar.)

Agreed 100%.  There has been a lot of improvement in that now we can restart our Regions in Safe Mode from our SL Web Pages.  

Edited by Erwin Solo

ARs are private and indiscreet, especially in a sim full of other users -- there is no way for them to exactly pinpoint who sent it -- it goes directly to LL.

Your computer's hardware cannot be affected by things within SL -- the most damage that could be done by a troll is being timed out of a single session due to sim crashing, which can be caused by a high-complexity or heavily-scripted item.

A hardware failure to such an extent would require a direct download of malware to your physical PC, wherein that would disrupt the OS and other functions... There is no item in SL that can infect a computer, and links to infected pages are no more a threat than any other pop-up online -- you just need a decent antivirus and to avoid sketchy websites and links.

I've filed multiple ARs in the past and it has had no significant impact on my SL experience. I think the paranoia comes down to rumors or people running on older or weaker devices -- crashing a resource intensive app like SL can make an older computer run a little funny, but a restart should be all that's needed to fix it.

Edited by KirinGale
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Mischief night is November 4th in the UK, but has fizzled out under relentless hype over Halloween, which is not widely celebrated hereabouts.

Not where I live.  Mischief Night or Mizzy Night is the night before Halloween.  The local paper was stuffed full of shameful acts which were way more than the simple knock and run mischief I was involved in.  Fires started purely so they can throw fireworks at the attending emergency services,  car windscreens smashed,  every window in an assisted living complex smashed.... I could go on but it was a dreadful night

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, SleazyWhippet said:

I didn't AR in case they got into trouble, worked out it was me and came after me for revenge. I don't want my graphics card fried.

D38A8BB6-921E-4A98-A5E3-F9F07F061F7F.jpeg.e846d82d4246ed19d2fab67e54ad75b9.jpeg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, SleazyWhippet said:

If you AR someone the AR is private and discreet the person you AR won't know it was you. While i don't personally know of anything that would fry a graphics card there are people out there that use extremely high complexity only visible to Ctrl + Alt +T highlight transparent mode mesh objects designed to lag or graphics 'crash' you out of SL for the purposes of griefing. While a few instances of this won't do any harm. If it's happening multiple times daily over a sustained period i believe over time it has a detrimental effect on performance. In theory setting a low complexity should prevent the crashers in reality i've found people above a set complexity don't jelly doll fast enough to stop it