Sign in to follow this  
Chic Aeon

Avatar Customization and Sliders - 2022?

Those sliders and other avatar improvements that were supposed to appear "at the end of the year" are no longer on the roadmap -- or at least they moved towards the bottom of the stack.   Neither it seems is the ability to make new skins for the default avatars.   We do have FACE changes which is nice feature, but ----- 

The new focus will be live events (mostly music) and it is hoped that the citizenship will help with that by making their own events.  More partnerships are in the works. Questing (which I really enjoyed) will have a few tweaks in next week's release (like being able to bypass a quest you couldn't finish and get it off of your quest list).  Most of the things on people's "want list questions" received a "no" answer and some of those things were pretty important if you want to be part of a community and not just visit the events.  But hey --- we wouldn't want that roadmap to actually be printed in ink.  

It was a colorful meeting. My earrings looked great in the light and I used my "AO" for the first time in public. 

It was a little jarring with a mostly new crew. Heads spin.

2004051317_meeingnov1-2cropped.thumb.jpg.83f6cc59ae2bf503f90964a0fa52f53c.jpg

Edited by Chic Aeon

I still can't believe 1/3 of LL's workforce are working on Sansar.

Is this really why SL can't get at least one developer to evolve the script library?

☹️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Is this really why SL can't get at least one developer to evolve the script library?

☹️

I am not exactly sure if that is true any longer -- the percentage thing. I can say that lots of small daily things haven't been fixed over the last week (apparently when all the changes occurred). If a project isn't on the current roadmap with the current focus, it pretty much isn't happening.   The changes don't really affect me personally but as I said here I think -- it was an extremely QUIET meeting. And as someone else said when I mentioned that,  "that is NOT a good sign".  There are several long time Sansar creators that this impacts mightily.   Not sure what they will do. 

So we will see what the future brings.  There were a LOT of people (all is relative) in Sansar over the last couple of months but apparently that wasn't enough to keep on with the same plan.   

I did cash out to Paypal in less than a day though. Selling lots of poses (actually emotes timed to resemble poses).  Home and Garden items appear to be almost completely dead (and they sold well last year) which leads me to believe folks aren't making home experiences (now "worlds") any longer. 

One of the few "plus" unveilings from the meeting was that emotes will be getting easier to use and I will be thankful for that. Having to map to a small list of choices and then go out into the world to take your photos is pretty much a pain. So fingers crossed there.

A video of the live stream is on Twitch somewhere should anyone want to watch. 

8 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

It is likely much less today. The rumor is that the staff at Sansar dropped 20 people this week.

3 hours ago, Medhue Simoni said:

It is likely much less today. The rumor is that the staff at Sansar dropped 20 people this week.

It was obvious something was up last week when I was talking with an unnamed Linden. They didn't SAY anything, but the whole feel of the conversation was very forced and so not like they usually act. I thought it was just that everyone was working hard on the update coming out soon. Obviously I got that wrong.   The folks working in EVENTS are now at the top of the food chain.  That can certainly change of course. We have seen the direction shift a few times already.  

It will be interesting to see what little tidbits we get on the update. I really don't CARE about being able to upload a jpg instead of a png file. Unless of course the new avatar texture degrading is so bad that items NEED jpgs. I am shuddering at that thought and I have no way of changing my MD clothing now anyway.   

When I left last time it was because what they TOLD us was going to happen didn't happen that way at all. So to take advantage of what COULD happen (under the new rules) I would have had to reupload MUCH of my home and garden items including houses and houses in Sansar are frequenly  a PAIN to accomplish (not always but certainly sometimes).  I wasn't going to do that. I haven't even opened my BUILD inventory in the last two months.  Been there, done that. Enjoyed the process. BUT ....

So I am sticking around but will be in the dressing room most of the time unless there are some new official quests to partake in.  Since EVENTS are "in" and everything else "out" it seems doubtful that will happen. 

I sincerely hope The Lab gets some success with their end of the year plans (mostly SL) as it is feeling pretty uncomfortable (for me anyway). Of course many of us in the US have felt that way for a long while now, so not a new feeling LOL.   

But thanks in part to  Medhue, I am the current "pose queen" in Sansar. Well I am  the only one MAKING poses so not hard to be queen. I am however getting pretty good at it -- better than lots of poses in my SL inventory. So happy about "new skills". 

It is what it is. And we go forward as we can. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
deleted some info

10 hours ago, Medhue Simoni said:

So where did they go? Get the pink slip? Get moved back to working on SL? Get moved to coffee and doughnut runner?

On 11/3/2019 at 1:54 AM, Lucia Nightfire said:

So where did they go? Get the pink slip? Get moved back to working on SL? Get moved to coffee and doughnut runner?

Some were entirely let go. Seems a good number were moved back into SL.

13 minutes ago, Medhue Simoni said:

Some were entirely let go. Seems a good number were moved back into SL.

Were these people programmers or graphic designers or QC or engineers or what?

1 hour ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Were these people programmers or graphic designers or QC or engineers or what?

Apparently one of them was a Senior Software Engineer. Here's the screenshot of the Glassdoor review.

f758be968b3ad312c23c2b6522dbaeee.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Kurshie Muromachi said:

Apparently one of them was a Senior Software Engineer. Here's the screenshot of the Glassdoor review.

Those Glassdoor and BBB posts seem to follow a pattern on what the real problem is, heh.

• Like 2

Well the PIVOTS point is certainly correct. You don't need to be INSIDE the company to know that. 

This could be a positive thing for Sansar as an eventual profit center:

• If management has finally gotten past the sunk-cost fallacy and are directing future efforts to a roadmap with real prospects of adoption and business success, and
  • If future technical direction will be driven by demand for features native to Sansar use (mass events) rather than backfilling Second Life features it lacks

This outlines a product direction that would be based on Sansar business opportunity rather than Second Life technology gaps naively perceived as insurmountable because large, complex software systems are large and complex.

It seems clear that creators have only the future defined by demand from that mass event market. But at least it might be a market, eventually.

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

I wonder what the ramifications for Second Life will be, if any.

Hard to say at this point, but I noticed that the server deploy is taking forever today.   Haley (and reportedly a few others but I have no way to confirm) have moved back to SL.  

There are five jobs listed on the LL website but they don't say for which company.  Two could be for Tilia. 

On the plus side I guess they just announced a Sansar contest with a Dec 5th deadline :D.   

• Like 1

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding things but how does shifting to focusing on events going to bring in any significant revenue?

They're struggling to bring in new users as it is.

What kind of entertainment is LL going to be able to book that would interest completely new people into creating an account, associate a payment method and pay to see said entertainer(s)?

How often do major events need to occur to be profitable?

This sounds like major last ditch territory to me when the best they've offered so far are DJs and comedians few people, if any, have ever heard of.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2019 at 2:57 AM, Lucia Nightfire said:

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding things but how does shifting to focusing on events going to bring in any significant revenue?

There was supposed to be a partnership with some major promoters in the future, I heard something like LiveNation at one point (but again Sansar is still Beta).

They're struggling to bring in new users as it is.

This is cause Senior Leadership at LL is blind/deaf to what users are asking for. Willfully.

What kind of entertainment is LL going to be able to book that would interest completely new people into creating an account, associate a payment method and pay to see said entertainer(s)?

A event ticket section added to the Sansar Market is what I could see... with prices equaling content streaming subscription prorates...

How often do major events need to occur to be profitable?

This sounds like major last ditch territory to me when the best they've offered so far are DJs and comedians few people, if any, have ever heard of.

Depends on how many LL can get to the said event. We all know the limitations for SL is ~100 due to region limitations. I'm not sure about the Sansar Area Limitations, but I imagine it isn't much better. Also to your last point, it all depends on the performer/event attraction. And I concur with your final thought. 

I will add this, it seems Sansar is an outlet for technology LL wishes SL could implement. Beyond that its focus seems to be more conservative and prudish that SL's original design. That isn't going to work if they ever want to achieve what they once had with SL. First rule of marketing, "Sex Sells."

Oh, I believe that it is a wee bit more prudish than just not allowing sexual content on Sansar.  I don't think it's going to succeed or fail based on just that - I have done fine in SL as a user and a creator without ever having to consume or create sex content.

A large issue with Sansar that is very different than SL is their goal to create a 'safe space' for users - but to the point that their discipline and execution of said methods has been draconian. This has been driven in part by users who cannot handle problems on their own, or get offended at everything and everyone for one reason or another. Trust me, if you open your mouth in Sansar, you are bound to offend someone...

This gets turned into "If you don't do anything to stop him from offending me again, I will leave Sansar" or "I am demotivated" and even as far as one user saying "I will kill myself". This puts undue pressure on Staff, who might mean well (I hope) in their efforts, but become a totalitarian parental overseer that won't let the kids settle on their own, and instead have to break up every fight - which then goes unresolved and festers even more.

I'm hoping that with recent staff changes, that this kind of thing does not continue - I've noticed staff back off a bit and I appreciate it - answering every little sneeze and wiffle is not the way to go, and frankly new users want to act like jackasses for a bit, then they will settle down. It's almost like new users want to test the community - and up until now at least, the community is failing because they have no patience at all - and quickly execute and call for sitewide bans on individuals they consider as 'bad apples' or 'rubbing people the wrong way'.

Read some of the Steam reviews and many recent ones directly address the current community as being toxic.

No surprise to me, because when I first joined, I overheard members of what they now call themselves "the Core Group", were lamenting the growth of Sansar at the time, and how they would 'like to keep it small" - presumably for their own benefit and to ensure their own status as big fish in a little pond.

• Like 1