What are Second Life Families? What are your thoughts on them?

LuxuriousSin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Like others have said, I get the feeling a lot of people doing family RP in SL are in some way trying to fill something missing IRL. And I get that. Just like a lot of us decorate the SL homes we will never have IRL.

It's more than just for fun, I think, when you've had a broken family IRL or are staring at a lifetime of apartment rental. Even if you don't consciously think about it that way.

I won't lie, family RP does not appeal to me at all, and sometimes I am inclined to think of it as, well:

On 11/3/2019 at 5:48 AM, Syo Emerald said:

Creepy and a pool of drama.

But someone like me who is not a part of that scene is likely to only hear the really scandalous kind of rumors that break through the bubble.

I do think it's the sort of thing that deserves a bit of scrutiny, as for obvious reasons it seems ripe for really creepy stuff. Though, again, I'm sure most people are into it for reasons not really more sad/crazy than most of us getting wish-fulfillment through SL. 😛

Family communities have a lot of fun activities going on. October to December is especially enjoyable in those neighborhoods with all the holiday events. I used to rent a house every October just so I could go trick or treating and often stayed through Christmas. Much cozier than living in the sky alone lol

I have no desire to be part of one, but i view it as adults playing "house", similar to how children play it.  One kid would be daddy, another mommy, and others as kids.  It's just not my thing, same for vampire bloodlines.  

Depends on what kind of family. People roleplaying house, with childavs and whatnot - yeah well, if it's handled well, like most rp in sl isn't, then it's fine. But since most RP'ers in sl kinda have trouble separating IC from OOC, it's mostly drama. (Using online RP as a means to compensate for something where there is a void in someones life is mostly a bad idea, and should be avoided, btw. That almost always backfires.)
The other kind of SL-families, where the members are more like friends and visually around the same age, I find very weird. It's mostly just regular online-friendships, some are even close - so why not just call it that.

I've never had a desire to have a partner, let alone kids and such in SL.   RL provides that for me.

But...Second Life is such an amazing place for the most part.  I mean...I know ppl with severe social angst in RL that thrive in SL.  Yes...SL has a-holes as well.  But you can mute/block/ban them.  

I don't do the family/kids/partner SL thing, but I fully support the ability to enjoy that.   As long as its' not destructive/illegal, go for it.   That's what SL is for.

I don't really role play  family relationships, but among the people I hang out with, we jokingly refer to each other as our sl family. There a woman  many of us call Ma or Mama, which came about because she DJs and sometimes calls us her babies on mike. Then there's the guy I host for who calls me his little sis, and he calls the woman I call Mama his soul sister, so she is both my mother and my sister. The other folks she calls her babies are my siblings, and as many of them call others, the family grows.  It get even more convoluted than that, not quite making anyone his own Granpaw but close.

Really all it means is we love each other and we have for years now.

Edited by kali Wylder
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.