Jump to content
FairreLilette

Script Errors...

Recommended Posts

I have changed a few things that were just decor items and had no scripts in them for animation.

I put sits in them.  

Why am I getting a script error message when I try to use a basket with a blanket that I put sit animations in?

I'm noticing this in several objects I have tried to modify....script error messages.  

Snapshot_847 (2).png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's very hard to tell without knowing what your scripts look like.  However, I suspect that the error message you receive says something about not having permission to animate you. If that's the case, your script isn't appropriate for the job (or it is poorly written). You can't just "put a sit in" your blanket to animate it. You have to formally ask the user for PERMISSION_TRIGGER_ANIMATIONS, even if that permission is granted automatically.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

It's very hard to tell without knowing what your scripts look like.  However, I suspect that the error message you receive says something about not having permission to animate you. If that's the case, your script isn't appropriate for the job (or it is poorly written). You can't just "put a sit in" your blanket to animate it. You have to formally ask the user for PERMISSION_TRIGGER_ANIMATIONS, even if that permission is granted automatically.

Okay...I'll try again to see what's going here.  Some objects that I buy allow me to modify them with sit animations without a problem and others are script error, script error, script error.  

The one with the picture above with the blanket...it let's me sit...but gives a script error too.  It's exacerbating because other items work just fine.  

I have some animesh animals and animated skeletons as well which I plan to take up now that Halloween is over...I was wondering if lag from these heavily scripted animesh items was causing some problems.  

Edited by FairreLilette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yes, but how are you modifying them?  What exactly are you doing?

I have a single sit animation avatar system and animations which I took out of an AO.  The sits are copy/mod and I'm just using them for my own use.  I bought the AO because the sits are very cute.  

I'm wondering if I have too many animesh items and then I have animated skeletons I plan to put back into inventory now.  I was wondering if it was lag?  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're just determined to get Rolig to demonstrate the very limits of her phenomenal patience, aren't you? :P

What you're doing is the sort of thing many of us do all the time, so it's gonna work, eventually. And it's very unlikely to be having problems because of lag (and tangentially, Animesh is not inherently laggy -- kinda the opposite in fact -- but of course there are exceptions to every rule, and Animesh certainly can be used in things that are laggy for other reasons).

You're just going to need to tell us exactly what those error messages are, word for word, for anybody to be able to help more, unless maybe accidentally guessing what the problem could be. (And Rolig is quite right to guess permissions, the most likely problem.)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, Qie. 😉

@FairreLilette, It sounds like you are not a scripter, so this was probably not the forum to be asking these questions in.  This is a place for scripters to share discoveries with each other and to moan to each other about how hard it is to write scripts that work.  Since you are here, though, the only way for us to help is you know exactly what you are doing.  If you are just taking anims from your AO and dropping them into an unscripted object, they won't work.  If you are dropping the animations into an object that has a script in it, the script may need other instructions from you, or it may be totally inappropriate for the job.  In any case, we cannot help without knowing a lot more than you are telling us. Ideally, we need to see the script -- if there is one -- but I suspect that it may be no-mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

You're just determined to get Rolig to demonstrate the very limits of her phenomenal patience, aren't you? :P

What you're doing is the sort of thing many of us do all the time, so it's gonna work, eventually. And it's very unlikely to be having problems because of lag (and tangentially, Animesh is not inherently laggy -- kinda the opposite in fact -- but of course there are exceptions to every rule, and Animesh certainly can be used in things that are laggy for other reasons).

You're just going to need to tell us exactly what those error messages are, word for word, for anybody to be able to help more, unless maybe accidentally guessing what the problem could be. (And Rolig is quite right to guess permissions, the most likely problem.)

Okay, I did not pay attention as I happened to be logging off last night and thought I'd curl up in that blanket in the top photo as cat's love blankets. But, yes I was tired.  

It's not doing it now though.  It's exacerbating because it does it at times and I don't mean to exacerbate you as well.  It's random.  What is causing it...I never looked...I just jumped to some assumption that I cannot modify certain items I buy which are copy/mod because it's not understanding the scripts well and these script error things keep going off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Thank you, Qie. 😉

@FairreLilette, It sounds like you are not a scripter, so this was probably not the forum to be asking these questions in.  This is a place for scripters to share discoveries with each other and to moan to each other about how hard it is to write scripts that work.  Since you are here, though, the only way for us to help is you know exactly what you are doing.  If you are just taking anims from your AO and dropping them into an unscripted object, they won't work.  If you are dropping the animations into an object that has a script in it, the script may need other instructions from you, or it may be totally inappropriate for the job.  In any case, we cannot help without knowing a lot more than you are telling us. Ideally, we need to see the script -- if there is one -- but I suspect that it may be no-mod.

Okay, I didn't know what part of the forum to use.

However, I put a full single sit avatar system in them and the animations.  I even tried to alter a swing that had animations in it by taking their whole animation system out and putting my own in as well as my own sits...and I get script errors.

I was just wondering why all these problems with copy/mod objects to change it to animated and/or to change the whole animated system because Dinkies don't use cuddle animations very well...so I needed to change it to single sits.  But, it's just an ordeal.   

I use this avatar animation system:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Full-Perm-Single-Sit-Multi-Animations-System-Script-Builders-Kit/2280422

Edited by FairreLilette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, that's much better.  Thank you.  😉  Please do NOT try to post any of those scripts here.  That would violate the agreement you have with the creator.

However, please do take time to follow the instructions that came with the system, specifically ...

How does it work?
Video Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blCrFfwmbLw

The Marketplace listing tells you that 

There are two scripts and a config file; These and animations are put into root prim. When
the object is touched by the owner, an intuitive menu appears guiding you to set up your
animations’ positions. A complete instructions manual comes with it.

My guess at this point is that you have been adding the animations but have not been modifying the config file as you are supposed to. Again, it's a guess, but it's the best I can do.  If you read the manual carefully and watch the video, you can probably figure out how to make the system do what you want it to do. If you have further questions, it's probably wise to ask the merchant who sold you the system.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

OK, that's much better.  Thank you.  😉  Please do NOT try to post any of those scripts here.  That would violate the agreement you have with the creator.

However, please do take time to follow the instructions that came with the system, specifically ...

How does it work?
Video Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blCrFfwmbLw

The Marketplace listing tells you that 

There are two scripts and a config file; These and animations are put into root prim. When
the object is touched by the owner, an intuitive menu appears guiding you to set up your
animations’ positions. A complete instructions manual comes with it.

My guess at this point is that you have been adding the animations but have not been modifying the config file as you are supposed to. Again, it's a guess, but it's the best I can do.  If you read the manual carefully and watch the video, you can probably figure out how to make the system do what you want it to do. If you have further questions, it's probably wise to ask the merchant who sold you the system.

 

Okay, Rolig I will check the #pose config card.

However, I have used this system hundreds of times on items I make for my store and on those items there is no script error.  So, I know how to use the system.  It's just copy and modify items that do this.

I will try making one again after lunch since it's a copy & modify item and see what the script error message actually is.  

But, meanwhile...thanks Rolig and Qie!  I will find that script error and see what's going on here with it because I would really like to be able to modify some items I already have and figure out how to do it correctly.  

p.s.  And, I put the animation system in the basket with the blanket weeks ago and it was fine...and then it script errors again.  That's why I need to understand why this is happening.  And, it's random.   However, my avatar sits fine....as shown in pic #1...so there is no actual sitting error.  What's error-ing....I don't know.   I'll do my best to find out.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a free pose script for you by some who stands high in the community. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, thanks Erwin.

Okay, made a new basket...and it seems to be working fine now.  

I did not get a script error this time.  

And, with edit linked I checked all parts of the objects I've already modified to see if there was a hidden script anywhere...I could not find a hidden script anywhere.  

 

Edited by FairreLilette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Okay, thanks Erwin.

Okay, made a new basket...and it seems to be working fine now.  

I did not get a script error this time.  

And, with edit linked I checked all parts of the objects I've already modified to see if there was a hidden script anywhere...I could not find a hidden script anywhere.  

 

Usually, script errors concerning animations have to do with short-cuts in handling permissions, the taking of specific shortcuts. 

Such shortcuts are particularly insidious because permissions are tacitly granted by sitting, and a scripter who did it wrong--in just the right way--will appear to have done it right the second time you use the script.  Such a scripter is less likely to have an on_rez clean-up event in their script, leading to a situation where the script that you take back into inventory retains permissions when you re-use it in another object and does not throw an error when you reuse it in another object.  

The symptoms you describe are a lot like that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Erwin Solo said:

Usually, script errors concerning animations have to do with short-cuts in handling permissions, the taking of specific shortcuts. 

Such shortcuts are particularly insidious because permissions are tacitly granted by sitting, and a scripter who did it wrong--in just the right way--will appear to have done it right the second time you use the script.  Such a scripter is less likely to have an on_rez clean-up event in their script, leading to a situation where the script that you take back into inventory retains permissions when you re-use it in another object and does not throw an error when you reuse it in another object.  

The symptoms you describe are a lot like that. 

Okay, thank you.  

This is the first time I've attempted animating copy/mod objects and it's been baffling.  I usually animate full perm objects.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Okay, thank you.  

This is the first time I've attempted animating copy/mod objects and it's been baffling.  I usually animate full perm objects.   

I hope what I said was 100% correct.  Here's what is documented, and lots of times there are things that aren't documented: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlRequestPermissions .

There are lots of ways to do it wrong, and really only one way to do it right, but some of the wrong ways still work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Erwin Solo said:

There are lots of ways to do it wrong, and really only one way to do it right, but some of the wrong ways still work. 

Yep. A no-mod script is a black box, needing to be tested in a whole bunch of ways to gain confidence it won't start throwing errors when a user stumbles on that sneak path to perdition.

I realize @FairreLilette has been working with this script a long time, so unless somebody knows this specific script has a hidden bug, it's hard to know what to suggest. Just glancing at one of my own sit scripts, I might try testing with an alt, specifically the case where the sitter leaves the sim (or logs out) while seated and another avatar tries to sit where the now absent avatar had been sitting; this CHANGED_LINK race condition is pretty rare, but it's the sort of thing that might escape testing by the owner alone. But really, with a no-mod script, there's just no telling.

In passing: I'm not a huge fan of needing two scripts to animate one avatar; it's my pet peeve about the ubiquitous AVsitter -- otherwise I might suggest it here, just for compatibility sake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

In passing: I'm not a huge fan of needing two scripts to animate one avatar; it's my pet peeve about the ubiquitous AVsitter -- otherwise I might suggest it here, just for compatibility sake.

I used to use AVsitter a lot, and still do for couples animations.  For complex arrangements of singles animations I prefer SimpleSit .  Search terms for your favorite internet search engine: 

Second Life SimpleSit Positioner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

I guess we will never get the error message...

Let's see if I can slide this one past the censor-sensor...

It could be the OP is embarrassed to post a message of the form "Error trying to play animation 'Deep-Eye-Watering-Bert-Fork' because ...."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Let's see if I can slide this one past the censor-sensor...

It could be the OP is embarrassed to post a message of the form "Error trying to play animation 'Deep-Eye-Watering-Bert-Fork' because ...."

It could be, but you can just "censor" the problematic text section :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I got the script error message.

It's this:

 llDialog: button labels must be 24 or fewer characters long

 

______________

Okay, I am putting scripts in non full perm furniture.  However, when I do this with non full perm furniture, I get script error messages.  

Now, I had already put about 7 sits in a non full perm chair.  The chair was working fine until just now when I put another sit in it and the script error keeps going off no matter what I do and then it looked like something about debug setting but that debug setting comes with a warning that you could lose inventory if used.  

And the sit animation I just put in is less than 24 characters long so I don't even know why this error is going off nor what it's about?  It happens a lot with non full perm furniture...these script error message.

I am using a sitting system I use all the time with full perm furniture so I know how to use the animation script system.  

I'm not sure if re-logging will make it go away but I'll try.

But, it is concerning to me because I don't want to lose inventory to use the debug setting.  

Edited by FairreLilette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2019 at 2:16 AM, Kyrah Abattoir said:

I guess we will never get the error message...

I had to wait to get the error message as it's interment with non full perm chairs I have been putting animations in...it's here now and will not seem to go away at all.  

It took me awhile to find an animation for tinies that was actually animated and not just a still sitting pose. 

I'm adding some Tiny animations in now with script errors again.  

Edited by FairreLilette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's impossible to know how to answer without peering into the script.  The message you are getting is a basic LSL error message, telling you that the label that you are trying to put on one of the buttons in your dialog is too long.  It's not necessarily the name of the anim that you just added.  Without looking to see where your script gets button labels (or how it constructs them), we really can't guess.  Again, this is not really what this forum is here for.  This is a place for scripters to share ideas with each others and moan about why their own scripts don't behave.  

Edited by Rolig Loon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2019 at 2:18 AM, Qie Niangao said:

 

I realize @FairreLilette has been working with this script a long time, so unless somebody knows this specific script has a hidden bug, it's hard to know what to suggest. 

I

Apparantly, it's some kind of a "bug"...I thought it said in the window where the script error message was...I need to use the debug setting.  After reading the debug warning, I don't want to do that at this time.  

Edited by FairreLilette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...