1024 Texture Size Limit Pixelated Details

Tessy Taffler

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1638 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm working on my first skins and pubic hair and understand there's a limit of 1024 for textures in SL. My stuff looks really pixelated compared to the skins I already use which I could swear seem like higher resolution. I've been using lossless png files as output but just not enough information there for the details I'm trying to achieve. How is it that with my Catwa head the lipstick and makeup seem so smooth, almost no pixels detectable even up close, like a vector?

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

35 minutes ago, Tessy Taffler said:

I'm working on my first skins and pubic hair and understand there's a limit of 1024 for textures in SL. My stuff looks really pixelated compared to the skins I already use which I could swear seem like higher resolution. I've been using lossless png files as output but just not enough information there for the details I'm trying to achieve. How is it that with my Catwa head the lipstick and makeup seem so smooth, almost no pixels detectable even up close, like a vector?

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

You can UPLOAD a 2048 texture that "becomes" a 1024 texture. So four times more clear? Probably not. But there was a long discussion on this maybe six months ago with several of us testing. The results were surprising (to me anyway). For a long while we were told that we should resize our larger working texture (could even be a 4096 for some people) down to a 1024 and THEN upload as the uploader made things more blurry as it turned our texture into a JPG2000 texture (hope that is correct). 

The test showed that uploading the large texture actually produced a more finished looking and sharp texture than preprocessing in a graphics program.  There are of course differences depending on your graphics program and settings (I use Corel) but that would certainly be a starting place for testing. 

Good luck. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling

8 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

You can UPLOAD a 2048 texture that "becomes" a 1024 texture. So four times more clear? Probably not. But there was a long discussion on this maybe six months ago with several of us testing. The results were surprising (to me anyway). For a long while we were told that we should resize our larger working texture (could even be a 4096 for some people) down to a 1024 and THEN upload as the uploader made things more blurry as it turned our texture into a JPG2000 texture (hope that is correct). 

The test showed that uploading the large texture actually produced a more finished looking and sharp texture than preprocessing in a graphics program.  There are of course differences depending on your graphics program and settings (I use Corel) but that would certainly be a starting place for testing. 

Good luck. 

Thanks for the reply!

Ok good info but I should have mentioned that I have already been uploading the textures at 2048 because the template I'm working with is that size. I haven't actually tried to upload at 1024, might have to try and see what happens.

It has me stumped how my catwa lipstick looks so clear and vector-like though, or how clear the details are on the skins i have now. Even when i play with sharpen or blurs in photoshop the result is unacceptable at this resolution, just not enough pixels. Part of it could be that I've never looked so close because I was just buying skins and haven't noticed or am being overly critical of my own work.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1638 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.