Inventory Lost?

Sabrina Metaluna

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

I often have things missing in inventory when using Firestorm, but they almost always are there with the official viewer. If I log out of Firestorm, log into the official viewer and Rez or wear the missing item, then switch back to Firestorm it will be there.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Talligurl said:

I often have things missing in inventory when using Firestorm, but they almost always are there with the official viewer. If I log out of Firestorm, log into the official viewer and Rez or wear the missing item, then switch back to Firestorm it will be there.

Is why Catznip Viewer FTW. Just saying. :)

On a serious note: I have almost 150k inventory and I never run into this issue on any viewer. Just wondering if it has to do with my having deep folder structures? I put everything into its own folder and folders inside of folders inside of folders and such. My Objects folder is near empty (except for some folders LOL) - could that be the cause? I see @Whirly Fizzle and others often hyping on "Keep your inventory *organized* or suffer the SL Glitch-Gods."

@Alyona Su I suspect it is the high number of folders you have that keeps you in tact. So... is it shoes filling up your inventory?

Oz and other Lindens have explained that at startup the viewer reloads a copy of inventory "folder-by-folder". A single folder with 10k items is VERY likely to time out and mess up the inventory load even on a great connection. Weak connections start to have problems around 5k in a folder and lower. Most people are between the two for where they might see problems.

I think the most I have in a single folder is is about 600 items. I too have lots of folders. With my lite inventory of 50k items... I haven't seen this problem.

48 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

@Alyona Su I suspect it is the high number of folders you have that keeps you in tact. So... is it shoes filling up your inventory?

Oz and other Lindens have explained that at startup the viewer reloads a copy of inventory "folder-by-folder". A single folder with 10k items is VERY likely to time out and mess up the inventory load even on a great connection. Weak connections start to have problems around 5k in a folder and lower. Most people are between the two for where they might see problems.

I think the most I have in a single folder is is about 600 items. I too have lots of folders. With my lite inventory of 50k items... I haven't seen this problem.

I have folders in folders in folders - some are ten deep. My *fear* is how deep can I go? (Serious question) - I think the most populated single folder I have contains, maybe, 50 or 60 items inside it? I am radical-demon for organizing stuff into folders. Even if it's a folder called something like "Look at this stuff later" :)

The Wiki Limits page provides the only list of limits on inventory. There is no known limit to folder depth nor to the total number of items one can have in inventory.

Presumably something like 5,000 folders, or some number near that, in a single folder could be a problem. But, I doubt it. References are made to folders being items, which makes sense to me. 

My clothes folder has 21,000+/3,700+ Elements according to the Firestorm viewer. But, that is only 56 subfolders in Clothes. In those 56 I have Basic, Dresses, Hair, Shoes, etc. that each have a dozen to 3 or 4 dozen sub folders. So, I find the FS numbers a bit confusing and not really useful until I get to the bottom level. [The FS number is ITEMS/FOLDERS within the selected folder.]

I suspect the code that reads the folders into the inventory list is recursive, a guess. If that is the case, it fits with what we see. So, code would start reading inventory and see a folder, start reading that folder until it sees a folder, and so on until it doesn;t find a folder and reads in the individual items. When It finishes it backs up one level and starts reading again finding a folder or items. So, 10 levels deep is nothing. Even 50 or a 100 is practically nothing. As each folder would cause a recursive call and start a timer, likely restart the timer, and it takes several thousand items and a slow connection to cause a time out... lots of folders and few items would likely never get near the time out.

I go 4 to 5 folders deep. I was curious how deep my folders go. I think it is 5 levels. There might a folder or two 6 levels deep. On average I would guess majority of mine are 3 levels deep.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1624 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.