Jump to content
Areta Narcissus

Looking for rp sim or group that offers more than para rp....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

On 11/10/2019 at 4:37 AM, NerDee79 said:

I understand completely. I too am looking to start/ join a group that doesn't do crazy long para RP. I'm a novice at RP though.

Awesome, keep me posted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone that still learning to rp, and specially when english is not your mother language, I dont feel para-rp as a welcoming rp, so I am more into semi-para. I prefer shorter rp to keep the story going, sometimes para-rp scenes take too long specially if in a group. When I RP I try to RP only actions and thing people can see, and I try to emote emotions through those actions, but most part of para-rp I have experienced people describe a whole paragraph for thoughts of things we wouldn't be able to see or notice, and I am even not sure if this is a thing in para-rp as I am still learning.

And I will follow this one hoping to find a good rp.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with you Daftlyn. I emote actions and things representative of emotions, like shifting around when nervous or look down a lot when ashamed. I really do not want to know anything about another's char that i can not see or possibly know.  No one wants to metagame.  I also can see how it would be easier to translate smaller amounts at a time into another language. 

Edited by Areta Narcissus
typo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 9:58 AM, Syn Anatine said:

I strongly disagree.

Para RP is an evolved form of RP, but RP no less. It is not collaborative writing at all. I'd even go so far as to say Para RP is the real RP. *rping like this* and one liners are so early 2000's.

I can agree with you on this.

Roleplay isn't limited to simply one-liners, semi-paragraphs, paragraphs, or novella. 

I've never heard anyone consider paragraph roleplaying not roleplay. 

I do consider roleplay a collaboration(or co-writing) between two people. 

What you write or enjoy writing is based on preference. 

  • Some people will write one-liners
  • Other people will write paragraphs
  • Some people will do both. 

Note: The above bullets are merely examples. 

Roleplay does make use of: first person point of view, second person point of view, and third person point of view. 

I also think if you roleplay - in text - that you are a creative writer. 

I think my top roleplay pet peeves are:

  •  Too many errors
  •  Lack of chaptalization
  •  Lack of separation 
  •  Unable to comprehend what someone wrote

I think communication beforehand, during, and after is good.  

I also think there's this misconception that you must be fast when interacting with someone. I like to believe that's where the communication part comes in handy.

Edited by BloodSparda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello ; )

I have recently started a rp sim with couple of other collaborators. We have a steadily growing group of people, not all of whom have any real roleplay experience. We are open to posts of varying lengths dependent on where you feel comfortable. We are a sim where roleplay happens and is encouraged but you will not be expected to always be strictly in character.

Kushiel's Legacy novels by Jacqueline Carey is our basis.

We are having a big celebration on the 7th of December with a masked ball and would love to see some new faces there. Please contact me in world for more information.

lilkitty.Feila

732cdd29b7bb0e200683c9556e1ce7db.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 12:58 PM, Syn Anatine said:

I strongly disagree.

Para RP is an evolved form of RP, but RP no less. It is not collaborative writing at all. I'd even go so far as to say Para RP is the real RP. *rping like this* and one liners are so early 2000's.

I was going to comment specifically on this attitude that many RPers seem to have adopted over the past couple years... and then I came across this post which seems to have illustrated the point for me.

I've been back in SL for about a year, but had taken off a couple years before that. When I returned, I discovered this kinda new attitude that for RP to be real and "correct", it could only be "Para RP". I'm descriptive and I enjoy creative writing, but damn... it's like watching paint dry. And its ridiculous.... You really think that its more realistic to be RPing something like a fire or medical emergency, situations that by nature are very chaotic and fast-paced, by standing around and waiting several minutes in between someone posting what they're doing?? ZZZzzzzzzzz...... Boring.

It drives me nuts that some RPers have taken it upon themselves to draw the expectations on what TRUE roleplay is or isn't. I believe this drives away a lot of casual RPers and those who are new and want to try it out but are intimidated by the rules and expectations set by established Para RP groups that preach their way as the only way. 

*steps down off soapbox and retreats to her solitary corner of the grid...* 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PandoriaMoonshadow said:

I was going to comment specifically on this attitude that many RPers seem to have adopted over the past couple years... and then I came across this post which seems to have illustrated the point for me.

I've been back in SL for about a year, but had taken off a couple years before that. When I returned, I discovered this kinda new attitude that for RP to be real and "correct", it could only be "Para RP". I'm descriptive and I enjoy creative writing, but damn... it's like watching paint dry. And its ridiculous.... You really think that its more realistic to be RPing something like a fire or medical emergency, situations that by nature are very chaotic and fast-paced, by standing around and waiting several minutes in between someone posting what they're doing?? ZZZzzzzzzzz...... Boring.

It drives me nuts that some RPers have taken it upon themselves to draw the expectations on what TRUE roleplay is or isn't. I believe this drives away a lot of casual RPers and those who are new and want to try it out but are intimidated by the rules and expectations set by established Para RP groups that preach their way as the only way. 

*steps down off soapbox and retreats to her solitary corner of the grid...* 

Just for your information, I don't rp in SL, but I do every day over e-mail/discord. This isn't an attitude either. It was said 'para rp is not real rp', I disagreed.

So take your high horse and go have some rp fun in world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Syn Anatine said:

Just for your information, I don't rp in SL, but I do every day over e-mail/discord. This isn't an attitude either. It was said 'para rp is not real rp', I disagreed.

So take your high horse and go have some rp fun in world.

So you don't RP in SL, but you still find it necessary to respond to a post on the topic of SL RP and make judgement on what is and isn't "real" RP? Hahahahaha yeah.... You're still driving home my point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PandoriaMoonshadow said:

So you don't RP in SL, but you still find it necessary to respond to a post on the topic of SL RP and make judgement on what is and isn't "real" RP? Hahahahaha yeah.... You're still driving home my point.

9_9

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been away from this thread for a while, but now that i'm again looking for a RP sim to enjoy playing immersively i wanted to check how this discussion evolved ....

Yes, para RPing is for people who like it (i'm quite good at it, but i don't like it). For some reason many RPers considers it's not good if you do'nt fill your 5min turn with plenty of words about every aspects of why you take a second beer at the bar while keeing a hand on the handle of your weapon or whatever ... but hey, in "Role play" there's the word "play" !!! reading or writing a story is not playing, it's an enjoyable hobby, but not playing 😛

So in the end, what about a sim, (sci fi or med fan) where you can live IC, immersively, when you're there, like using Unity system to sandbox around in some everyday duty, and react live using emotes and direct speech when you meet someone ...you know  like .. "playing" :)

i haven't found such a sim yet .. does any one did ?

i'd be eager to help in building one .. if some sim owner wants extra insipration :)

 

just now, while thinking of it all , I imagine a land, a sea shore on one side with nice underwater scenes, where untold creatures might lure .. some fisherman shack at one hand, a hidden smuggler grove or cav on the other end .. a forest with a road from the fishemen village to a little town ... and a couple misteries and dangers for those who dare leaving the road ...  the little town : small farms, a walled center with houses and workshops ... next to the town, a fort on the hill above where the lord lives and tries to rule over the land...

Above that, magical flying islands, where winged creatures live and look down to the  crawlers beneath ...

And above that ... a space station, a pre apocalyptic remnant ? a lost time traveler ? an alien device ? filled with droids and cyborgs as well as various muted creatures ... and inhabitant of the land below who where taken there for study and might have settled there afterwards ...(and why not some Nanite System devices)

Each layer mostly ignoring the other layers, but leading to surprising encounters once in a while ...

 

About RP rules :

- you can make a paragraph when you enter the game, because no one waits for you before that, then you mostly one-line your rp with some emotes so it's fast paced and alive, and fun for every one :), one or two minutes max between replies seems ok to me, if having most of them fusing in no time :)

- when in the sim, you're supposed to be IC, if not then rather station at the landing area, same if you intend to be afk for an extended time.

 

Who wanna play there ? who wanna build it ?

 -> i'd love to do both  ♥ who else ? i have plenty of ideas :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...