Areta Narcissus

Looking for rp sim or group that offers more than para rp....

Hi everyone, 

My rl husband and I have been serious rpers for many years. Recently we decided to give sl another shot. The game offers the best "sets" and "costumes" for rp, but it is so large it feels like we are searching for a needle in a haystack. We are looking for rp that is more like a play rather than a novel. Para rp just doesnt feel immersive to us. We think when you walk into a bar, tavern, club, castle, whatever with a group of people there should be more than one conversation going on.  And honestly we get bored waiting ten minutes for a response in a conversation. Does anyone here know of a sim or group that would welcome experienced rpers who prefer to not feel themselves aging in between responses? We don't even care about the genre.

Edited by Areta Narcissus
forgot to mention
  • Like 4

Search Places for role-play, role play, and roleplay <- all three of these spellings can return different results. The only way to find what you're looking for is to go region-hopping, put on an observer tag and go observe and witness. If you see what you like then grab the region rules, RP back-story and get dressed up and give it a whirl.

• Like 2

No suggestions, but I sympathize with your post. It can be really daunting to find a RP sim. I've had luck once or twice, but something always happens and it ends. Like you, para RP doesn't do it for me. My lines are usually quicker, as they happen in the moment, and I've found that the "better" RP sims lean towards para. LoL and exactly to "prefer to not feel themselves aging in between responses." So I'll be following this thread and see if you get any suggestions.

• Like 3

I too prefer quick shorter RP rather than Para RP but it also depends on how experienced and skillful the RPer is. A good Para RPer will be adding to their post as other people post so the only delay before they submit theirs will be their reaction to the prior person in the PO. It only takes one or two slow typers to make a scene that should only take 30 minutes take hours instead. 

I try to keep my posts to what my character can see, smell or hear, and if I want to convey what they're thinking or feeling I do it by describing their body language. I pretty much ignore things my character would have no reasonable way of knowing. 

Edited by brodiac90
  • Like 3

Just wanted to thank those who replied. I know its not a popular topic. I just don't understand how it became considered rude to actually rp and not rude to force someone else's character to become a statue--no breathing, no emoting, no moving-- for however long you like; Just so that you can write, read it over, go make dinner, walk your dog, whatever it takes to feel comfortable about pressing enter. I think best example is someone who took fifteen minutes to post a paragraph of questions for my toon, while I sat there and waited. Are you kidding me?! Why not ask a question and let me answer, then you can play off that answer and no one is left waiting.  Its just really rude to force or expect another rl person to become a statue for you during their limited time of relaxation. Everyone is busy these days, its really not thoughtful to waist another's time.

• Like 4

I am totally with you on this. Para RP is not really RP, it's collaborative writing, and best done over email, over a period of weeks or months. And yes, I have done that. It took us six months to create something equivalent to two chapters of a novel.

But when you are face to face with someone in-world, RP needs to flow much faster than that. More like the sort of RP I used to do in AIM and Yahoo Messenger, back when they were a thing. In that medium, we could write the equivalent of a chapter in one evening.

Two, maybe three lines, are all that's needed. A bit of dialogue and a brief narrative, break it up, keep the action going.

• Like 6

I prefer para rp but my style is normally 5 minutes per post (never ran into the 10 min norm).  I don't think it's the sims but rather the rp partners you are finding.  You should always feel comfortable communicating your preferences in IM to the other player.  "Hey. I like description but can we limit the posts to three sentences or 4 minutes between posts"  or something like that.  If the person doesn't like it then move on....

• Like 1

Personally I think even 5 minutes is too long for PARA RP. Say there are 5 people in the PO, persons A, B, C, D and E. 

I'f I'm E, then I can be begin writing my post as soon as A posts, and then keep adding to it as B and C post theirs. The only delay should be when I am writing my post to D since they are directly before me and I won't have had time to pre-type.  

Likewise, A should have started writing their post as soon as B posted and so on with the rest.  

Hi, i completely agree there ... i'm desperately looking for a RP sim with some immersive casual RP, no para RP !! 'ive found some over time, but ended unexpectedly ..why para RPing is so popular ? i mean it's mostly all rather good and inspired, but so lifeless !!

• Like 2

That's it exactly Tallia. It feels disconnected and not immersive. Why ask me a block of questions, when you could ask one and engage with me instead of at me? Also i dont want to read about your character things my char could not know. I understand why so much para rp is exposition of the background and whatnot of the writers char because if i have to wait ten minutes for the answer to a yes or no question, I'm really never going to ask you about your char.   I'm just not and worse still i don't need to ask about them. Where's the mystery? Where's the discovery?

• Like 1

the best thing, in my opinion is to have your caracter background ..well .. in the background ! governing almost in secret the decision  we make and our reactions. And sometimes, after a drink or two, or whatever oportunate condition, reveal part of this background. Some of the background should even be hidden from our character as well, so well, noone can know .. except if expectially investigating (and this could be a RP story on its own).

Well, to come back to the initial topic ? is there such RP sim anyone is aware of ?

(personnaly i'm rather into medieval, fantasy or scifi, but in the end whatever will be fine lol)

• Like 1

While I left this sim due to some issues that may or may not still be present there which I'd rather not get in to on the forums the most immersive RP I found for someone wanting to live the part per-say was a Star Trek RP sim called Triscalia. I still have a lot of good friends that go there and still manage to enjoy it and if you can once you work out who the idiots are you can pretty much stay clear of them and have a very enjoyable experience on that sim. Not sure if that is what your looking for, but that is the only long time running RP sim that I presently know of that has been active. So if you like or don't mind Star Trek give them a shot. You actually go threw an Academy and everything. lol Piece of advice though. Just don't mention you heard about it from Lt. Kerang and you should be all right. lol Being Klingon I took a huge poo in more then a few Cheerios on the way out the door. Lmao!!!! :D

• Like 1

Full disclosure:  I own and operate The Wastelands.  We're a post apocalyptic themed community and residential estate. 

Because some of you are looking, The Wastelands has the short form call and call-back style RP you're looking for.  I think that's the best description I can give it (an old example here).  Some other things to note about how we do things that some people don't like, but may be your cup of tea:

• Role play is not mandatory, but opt-in.  As such, we allow visitors to come dressed as they are; so instead it's up to the role players to signify that they're in-character with the word "Ruin't" someplace in their group tag.  If someone doesn't have the tag on, just ignore 'em (or remind 'em).
  • If you RP, you're expected to only say or do other things people can witness, not what you're thinking or feeling.  Role players can't act upon those things. So if you're angry, do something that expresses anger, like flipping a table.  If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands.  etc.
  • You also cannot force another role players actions without prior consent from that RPer.  For instance, you can't say you break someones hand because they wronged you.  You can however raise a hammer up with malice and rage on your face.  It is then up to the person you're addressing to resolve it.
  • Most RP is spontaneous green-dot-gatherings, but there are usually one or two scheduled RP events per week.

Those few points are what some people get hung up on.  However if you like those things, let me drop a few more bullet points your way:

• We've been around since January 2007, so we've got almost 13 years of lore built up.
  • We're 10 regions big, but with 20+ regions of area to explore.
  • If you like reading, we've got a wiki to detail many aspects of the estate, with dedicated categories for role play.  A visitor center RP orientation area is currently being worked on, for those who don't like reading and want to just jump in.
  • We've also got a blog with all sorts of useful info and coverage of some of the bigger developer sponsored RP arcs.
  • While it isn't mandatory, we also have a completely free scavenging/crafting/combat game (and mini-games) to help augment RP.  It has NPCs who have their own backstories, lore, and rumors.  Some of them will send you on a quest or task for game loot rewards.  If you're interested there's even an inworld tutorial to cover the basics.  Some objects are a bit dated in appearance (since 2007), but new features, content, and updates are constantly being added.

That's about the gist of it, if you have questions or need help please feel free to ask here, or contact me or Aposiopesis Fullstop inworld for more info.

Edited by NeoBokrug Elytis
Minor fixin's
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/6/2019 at 2:56 PM, Areta Narcissus said:

This sound interesting! I"ll have to check it out. Thanks Neo! And thanks Velk!

Your very welcome. Anytime. :)

On 11/6/2019 at 2:09 PM, NeoBokrug Elytis said:

*Points up at the original description.*

Your sim don't sound to bad at all mate. Those rules some people get hung up on actually seem very fair to me. I am actually thinking I may have heard of it before and may have even been there before. If I am thinking of the right place you all did an impressively bang up job on setting that place up. ;)

• Like 1

Any one looking for good Star Trek role play the UFS group is still going strong. Come join attend the Academy and become a Star Fleet officer on one of the many ships or stations available.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 8:55 PM, Matty Luminos said:

Para RP is not really RP

I strongly disagree.

Para RP is an evolved form of RP, but RP no less. It is not collaborative writing at all. I'd even go so far as to say Para RP is the real RP. *rping like this* and one liners are so early 2000's.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just to add my two lindens:

Paragraph RP is most definitely, by large, a form of roleplay. I'm not writing books with anybody here, or fanfiction stories or whatever else. I'm moving a play between myself and the other participants along. Yes, it can bog things down if the participants aren't speedy typers or are (like me) a fiend about making sure everything is edited correctly before they send. * *, /me, and other variants are also roleplay even if they're not appealing to everybody who comes across them. I have met plenty of people over the years since the 90s who write in styles other people would consider garbage and get along fine, because in the end that's not hampering their personal enjoyment. Hell. My only "requirement" for roleplay is that I can understand the basics of what you're trying to get across.

@NeoBokrug Elytis Thanks for sharing about your community! I passed on the information to my bestie in the hopes she'll find it as interesting as I do and want to come poke around. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/1/2019 at 9:35 AM, Areta Narcissus said:

Just wanted to thank those who replied. I know its not a popular topic. I just don't understand how it became considered rude to actually rp and not rude to force someone else's character to become a statue--no breathing, no emoting, no moving-- for however long you like; Just so that you can write, read it over, go make dinner, walk your dog, whatever it takes to feel comfortable about pressing enter. I think best example is someone who took fifteen minutes to post a paragraph of questions for my toon, while I sat there and waited. Are you kidding me?! Why not ask a question and let me answer, then you can play off that answer and no one is left waiting.  Its just really rude to force or expect another rl person to become a statue for you during their limited time of relaxation. Everyone is busy these days, its really not thoughtful to waist another's time.

I know para RP'ers that run two or three avatars on two or three different SIMs at the same time.  That way they have something to do during the long periods of waiting.  Para RP has to be the most boring thing ever invented, but three simultaneous sessions is only one third as boring as one. 

• Haha 2

City of Roseville - An RP Family Living Community.

We are a family friendly role-play community that offers a quality community. We offer role-play in PD, FD, Medical, shops, park and much more.

Stop by inworld and visit at

The City of Roseville is a California based community that is very active with RP. We have home's and Shop's available for rent and both city features and small town features.

Our FD has a Real Life Firefigher as the Assistant Chief to have the most effective role play experience here in SL for those of you who dream of people a police officer!

Properties Available: https://www.casperpanel.com/rentals/0lOexb0XexUPMa7B/available

Now Hiring:
✱ Chief
✱ Fire Fighter
✱ EMS/ Ambulance Driver
✱ Doctor
✱ Nurse 

LANDMARK: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Cinnamon Twist/113/136/32

d8e35ad4a497466b65359e3618968c05.png

I understand completely. I too am looking to start/ join a group that doesn't do crazy long para RP. I'm a novice at RP though.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2019 at 12:58 PM, Syn Anatine said:

I strongly disagree.

Para RP is an evolved form of RP, but RP no less. It is not collaborative writing at all. I'd even go so far as to say Para RP is the real RP. *rping like this* and one liners are so early 2000's.

You're entitled to your opinion, but that's not what this thread is about. It's about looking for a group of people who do not share your love of para rp.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 4:59 PM, miaminightmare said:

Just to add my two lindens:

Paragraph RP is most definitely, by large, a form of roleplay. I'm not writing books with anybody here, or fanfiction stories or whatever else. I'm moving a play between myself and the other participants along. Yes, it can bog things down if the participants aren't speedy typers or are (like me) a fiend about making sure everything is edited correctly before they send. * *, /me, and other variants are also roleplay even if they're not appealing to everybody who comes across them. I have met plenty of people over the years since the 90s who write in styles other people would consider garbage and get along fine, because in the end that's not hampering their personal enjoyment. Hell. My only "requirement" for roleplay is that I can understand the basics of what you're trying to get across.

@NeoBokrug Elytis Thanks for sharing about your community! I passed on the information to my bestie in the hopes she'll find it as interesting as I do and want to come poke around. 😊

It's great you are open to rping with everyone regardless of their style of writing. I don't think there's a real debate about what para rp is or isnt, but more some people just dont enjoy it. If you do, I think you'll find plenty of people to rp with in that style. This thread is really for those who don't enjoy it. 

• Like 1