Help needed using the houseboat texture pack!

JackieTeal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,

I've been lucky enough to get a new houseboat today - yay, I'm so happy!! 😄

I've changed some of the colours and textures of the houseboat via the redecorate option on the control panel.  However, the houseboat also comes with a Content Creation pack that includes an additional texture pack.  Being still something of a newbie, I don't know how to use the texture pack to change the appearance of the decking etc.  Could anyone explain to me (in very simple terms!) how to use the textures in the texture pack?

Thanks!

If you look by your door (while inside the houseboat) that control panel is what you would use to change the textures for the houseboat itself. The textures in the pack are the same ones and can be used by you, like if you wanted to make a wall, or a larger deck, to match.

Edited by Zoya McDonnagh

2 hours ago, Zoya McDonnagh said:

If you look by your door (while inside the houseboat) that control panel is what you would use to change the textures for the houseboat itself. The textures in the pack are the same ones and can be used by you, like if you wanted to make a wall, or a larger deck, to match.

Yes, I've already changed the textures for the houseboat using the control panel by the door.  The textures in the pack look a bit different to the ones on the control panel - there is a white one for the deck that I wanted to use.  The white texture on the control panel looks grey, whereas the one in the texture pack actually looks white.  But I can't see how to apply the white texture from the texture pack to the deck - the only way I seem to be able to change the deck texture is via the control panel.  I tried right clicking on the deck to see if I could edit the texture that way, but it wouldn't allow me to edit it.

4 minutes ago, JackieTeal said:

Yes, I've already changed the textures for the houseboat using the control panel by the door.  The textures in the pack look a bit different to the ones on the control panel - there is a white one for the deck that I wanted to use.  The white texture on the control panel looks grey, whereas the one in the texture pack actually looks white.  But I can't see how to apply the white texture from the texture pack to the deck - the only way I seem to be able to change the deck texture is via the control panel.  I tried right clicking on the deck to see if I could edit the texture that way, but it wouldn't allow me to edit it.

that texture pack is meant to adjust or create your own objects to add to the boat/house, it will not work on the actual textures on the build.
You only use the boat/house, you'r no owner and can't change it except with using the scripted texture changer in the controlpanel.

• Thanks 1

The texture pack is used to texture objects you create to add on to your build/house boat. They aren't used to change the walls or deck or anything else (UNLESS as said you create add-ons for it as some of us do). The only way to change textures of walls, floors, windows, roofs, and decks in houses, house boats and campers is by using the control panel. That's it.

IF you want to change the texture to something else you will need to create something to go over the existing deck and use one of the textures in the texture pack OR a different texture - and you can upload those or find many for sale on the Marketplace. But as you're new I'd suggest don't go crazy with any of that just yet unless you really wish to explore building. And by all means, you certainly can.

Unfortunately as many of us have discovered that the textures we get in the texture pack aren't 100% identical to the ones we see on the builds. The ones on the builds have been "baked-on" most likely using the building program that the creator used to make the builds. There is NO way currently to replicate that effect in Second Life. It's just not possible. And the creator of the build WON'T share the exact textures. So the textures provided in the texture pack are the next best thing.

So to simplify: again, the only way you can change the deck is to use the control panel UNLESS you build over the top of the existing deck (and use a texture on what you build). That's all you can do.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your replies - I've got it sorted now.  I just created a new deck to lay over the top of the existing one, and changed it to the white wood texture that I wanted.  I knew there must be a way to do it, because the neighbouring houseboat has a white deck, and I wanted mine the same.  It looks great now! 😃

• Like 6

• 1 year later...
17 minutes ago, Atiya Tearfall said:

Where can I find that texture pack for the LH-houseboat-Windlass? I have been looking on MP and in world and I haven't been able to find it. Any help would be appreciated :)

You can only get it if you currently 'own' a houseboat. Click on the life preserver, and below the different houseboat type options there is an option to obtain the LH Houseboat Content Creation pack. You'll need to unpack it, and it'll contain some objects, textures and a security system you can use.

• Like 2

The baking on some of the houseboats (and trailers) are actually shadows optionally applied to the mesh when it is created, which will darken the corners and edges.  You can get a very similar effect by using a 'vignette' filter in a graphics package like Gimp or Photoshop.  I did that with the Sunflower (yellow/orange) houseboat texture, when I needed to add walls to a Wallower.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.