Next theme victorian?

Raspberry Crystal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

I think these will be really popular. Good job if they are doing one massive relase, I think they'll be all snapped up so fast! I'm not taking one though...quite happy with my houseboat, Victorian style not really my thing, but I think they have been beautifully done with the landscaping and all.

What you see now is a showcase sim, so the real live release will have loads more home and not as spaced out. I think 20 homes to a sim is quite a lot 

• Like 2

I've lived in a RL victorian, and one important thing to remember is that the style is REALLY friendly to updating.  Starkly modern decor plays really well in Victorian homes, particularly if the floorplan is more open than in the Traditionals.

Also, if you walk around Victorian neighborhoods in the Southern US and New England, the people are not dressed in costume lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

if they are doing a massive release  i have to wonder if  the landscaping and placement will be all the same unlike the time and attention they gave to the campers and beli homes  just wondering.   

I was in shock !!!   i grew up on a farm and a few farms over  my grand parents farm and two of  the new homes  if you put them together looked just like  my grandparents victorian farm house ,,, even the outside color ,,,,, and i remembered omg all the summers bailing hay   ,,,,  at their farm  and also the bailing of hay at  my parents  farn   and then we would have to go the  aunts and uncles farms ,,,,,,,, as kids summer we worked   ,,   yes i had a flash back and yes i did peek to see if they had a tractor in back  ikr ,,,,,

Edited by roseelvira
keyboard and not all words showing
  • Like 3

Also, LOL, I see that there's a temporary 10% discount on new premium memberships, coincident with this impending release of Victorian homes "very soon".

SOOOO we have our answer on how LL feels about making premium alts to get multiple homes.  Hope we don't hear any more dissing of that practice ever again!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

I've lived in a RL victorian, and one important thing to remember is ...

In RL:

• All your windows are custom made so good luck if the glass breaks.
  • No double paning because... custom made
  • Drafty because... things have settled in 130 years.
  • Wiring inside is a mess because... what is this infernal sorcery that captures lightning and puts it in wires in defiance of god?
  • You get 1 room, and share a bathroom and kitchen with 5 neighbors because the landlord sliced it into 5 units 50 years ago. There's a 6th guy in the basement but don't tell anyone he lives down there because that's no up to code...
  • You can hear your neighbors breathing because even paper is thicker than these walls.
  • The wood creaks anytime a mouse walks by
  • That black mold is toxic... don't breath in the hallway and you should be fine. Here, sign this waiver...

In SL:

- you can have the dream, and not the nightmare. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

1 minute ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

In RL:

• All your windows are custom made so good luck if the glass breaks.
  • No double paning because... custom made
  • Drafty because... things have settled in 130 years.
  • Wiring inside is a mess because... what is this infernal sorcery that captures lightning and puts it in wires in defiance of god?
  • You get 1 room, and share a bathroom and kitchen with 5 neighbors because the landlord sliced it into 5 units 50 years ago. There's a 6th guy in the basement but don't tell anyone he lives down there because that's no up to code...
  • You can hear your neighbors breathing because even paper is thicker than these walls.
  • The wood creaks anytime a mouse walks by
  • That black mold is toxic... don't breath in the hallway and you should be fine. Here, sign this waiver...

If you luck out and get one that WASN'T reno'd 50 years ago, you get:

No black mold, because balloon framed.  HAH!

Wiring a mess?  Not after you spend $25K to yank it all out!  OMG, in mine the 2nd floor electrics had been run up through the old gas lines to the original wall sconces, which each had a screw-in plug with a single outlet.  Which went down to a power strip and a rats nest of extension cords.  Code?  What's that?

Zero noise between rooms because horsehair plaster lathe throughout, very sound-deadening.  But a total BEAR when you want to take down a wall.

The windows are so drafty that you have to get a balloon loan and replace all 6 million of them, except the stained glass ones (which you end up putting storm panes on the outside of) because otherwise you WILL need a nuclear power plant to pay for the heat.

No hope of A/C because radiators throughout.  Unless, of course, you want to get a BIGGER balloon loan.

So, yes, 99$/year is a bargain for living in a Victorian!

• Like 3

Some chat observed at the Linden Reveal today:

[06:35] Patch Linden: They will be available Really Soon™
[07:03] Pandora (s2Pandora): Patch said it will not be today, but will be sooner than the 15th
[07:26] Patch Linden: Very Soon™
[07:26] Patch Linden: And it will be MASSIVE
[07:26] Dreamer Pixelmaid: next week?
[07:26] Patch Linden: Maybe
[07:27] Patch Linden: The release count will be in the thousands

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

[07:03] Pandora (s2Pandora): Patch said it will not be today, but will be sooner than the 15th

It'll be like a Christmas present to us before the 15th -- excited to see how they look in a real Belli region! One plus is we don't have to use prims for wraparound porches anymore :) I also love the bay windows/circular rooms.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

If you luck out and get one that WASN'T reno'd 50 years ago, you get:

No black mold, because balloon framed.  HAH!

Wiring a mess?  Not after you spend $25K to yank it all out!  OMG, in mine the 2nd floor electrics had been run up through the old gas lines to the original wall sconces, which each had a screw-in plug with a single outlet.  Which went down to a power strip and a rats nest of extension cords.  Code?  What's that?

Zero noise between rooms because horsehair plaster lathe throughout, very sound-deadening.  But a total BEAR when you want to take down a wall.

The windows are so drafty that you have to get a balloon loan and replace all 6 million of them, except the stained glass ones (which you end up putting storm panes on the outside of) because otherwise you WILL need a nuclear power plant to pay for the heat.

No hope of A/C because radiators throughout.  Unless, of course, you want to get a BIGGER balloon loan.

So, yes, 99$/year is a bargain for living in a Victorian!

We have an almost 100 year old Craftsman with Victorian elements.

Spent a fortune on updating it, still looks pretty much original though. Had nearly all the knob and tube replaced - very little remains but there is some here an dthere. 

NO NOISE AT ALL! Those walls are thick as a brick. In fact they ARE brick.  Our house is not wood frame, it's made of terra cotta brick - with plaster & lath over. Sturdy AF and quiet as they come. If you close one of those original solid core doors you hear nothing in the rest of the house. Bliss if you are sleeping!

But yes draft windows - we had them all replaced but not with those butt ugly modern looking ones. Tried to do it as sensitively as possible - wood on the inside at least to match the original baseboards, etc.

We have radiator heat too. I like it for the most part. We splurged for retrofitting central A/C into the house though because I can't live without it. Lost some closet space here and there but hey, there wasn't much to begin with LOL. The people living there prior to us had ONE built in a/c unit in the living room which is ancient that we left in the wall because we have hand done plaster walls and who knows anyone that can replicate that now? It actually has come in handy at the height of summer when the central can't keep up with the heat outside most especially if our Viking oven is running!  (being retrofit - this can sometimes be an issue in old homes). It may be old but it can crank out a frigid arctic blast!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

It may be this awful cold I've got, but I'm struggling to find my enthusiasm for these.

I'm sure that when I see photos of decorated interiors this will change. 

Still got fingers crossed for some modern style models in the future.

Could be the weather hehe. The expo sim is amazing, we just need to see the real setting once it's revealed. and it might not be for everybody.

Also, we are coming from a different place now. Before, we just had the old linden homes, and we were moving to something exponentially better with 1024sqm. I guess that was what caused all the rush. Now, some of us have home in lovely spots, so the feeling is difference; I'm never letting my trad go. I've been so lucky with the region and the neoghbours...

I'm considering creating an alt or using hubby's account for the Victorian, but I know my search won't be as intense as it was when trying to get a new linden home. I 

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 1

The flowers and trees in current Belli are not what you would call low LI.  Is it possible that some of the new landscaping elements are lighter weight?  With less open water per region than in North Belli, and exquisitely manicured landscaping in the preview region, I'm wondering how they're doing it.

30 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

The Hardy is so big inside, I can not imagine what the need should be for more rooms.

If I was after one of these homes this would really make me happy. I loved the spacious feel inside this one. But part of the reason I'm not sure I'd be happy in one is exactly because there are so many rooms - I wouldn't know what to do with them all lol. And I probably wouldn't even 'use' most of them. I think the roominess of the Hardy but as a single story like the Doyle would be nice.

But I'm sure these will make lots of people happy:)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

The flowers and trees in current Belli are not what you would call low LI.  Is it possible that some of the new landscaping elements are lighter weight?  With less open water per region than in North Belli, and exquisitely manicured landscaping in the preview region, I'm wondering how they're doing it.

I was wondering this too when I saw everything. The SSP regions look pretty cramped.

I think some people are going to be pretty disappointed too by how little inland water there is, and pretty much everybody looks like they are going to have a view of neighbors all around unless you luck out on the coast.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

IIf you are talking about the large circle in the middle of the below picture, my guess is some sort of park or community area.  If you are talking about the grey oblong stuff, that is the large boulevards and bridges that are shown in Pussycat's picture above.

image.png.91dffee6578dc92e64d1801bae3ada53.png

I was talking about the grey oblong stuff ... and I cannot imagine them to be boulevards or bridges.

The round I take for a fountain - perhaps surrounded by flowers.

Edited by Leora Jacobus

19 minutes ago, Evangeline Arcadia said:

If I was after one of these homes this would really make me happy. I loved the spacious feel inside this one. But part of the reason I'm not sure I'd be happy in one is exactly because there are so many rooms - I wouldn't know what to do with them all lol. And I probably wouldn't even 'use' most of them. I think the roominess of the Hardy but as a single story like the Doyle would be nice.

But I'm sure these will make lots of people happy:)

The Hardy has over 20 windows! Oh, we really need low Li cortains now.

I doubt I will take the Hardy. I don't like sparsely furnished rooms. Each room must have furniture, flowers, decor, curtain, lamps, rugs....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

What you see now is a showcase sim, so the real live release will have loads more home and not as spaced out. I think 20 homes to a sim is quite a lot 

The current Traditional and Houseboat regions have an average of 20 homes each and the Camper regions are likely more than that since the plot sizes are only 512.

1 hour ago, roseelvira said:

if they are doing a massive release  i have to wonder if  the landscaping and placement will be all the same unlike the time and attention they gave to the campers and beli homes  just wondering.   

We can already see much of what it will look like from the SSP regions.  It does look like they cloned some of the regions, but have placed them in such a way that I don't think anyone will be able to notice except when looking at a large area via the map.

1 hour ago, Coby Foden said:

My super super rough count of the SSP southern Belli area doesn't look like it contains more than 1000-1300 homes, so if there are "thousands" (plural), then they must have another area hidden off somewhere that we don't see.  Or they are going to place another full copy (or two or three copies) of that southern Belli area somewhere else, similar to what they did with the old Linden Homes.

For the "Really Soon" and "Very Soon" part, it is possible that the release could happen as early as next week.  That will have given folks today through Sunday to have scoped out the Preview first.  If not next week, definitely the week of the 16th, right after the Expo ends.

33 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

I was talking about the grey oblong stuff ... and I cannot imagine them to be boulevards or bridges.

The round I take for a fountain - perhaps surrounded by flowers.

If you look look at the grey oblong pieces and then look again at Pussycat's pictures, I'd bet money on the grey parts being the boulevards and bridges and other roadway parts.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
typo
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.