Next theme victorian?

Raspberry Crystal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

2 hours ago, KoralTearDrop said:

i dont like the short door frames

The door frames are actually very well done. Have you checked your avatar height?

https://www.jbkind.com/info-centre/standard-door-sizes

Metric sized internal doors are becoming increasingly popular and are most commonly used in Scotland and Europe.  The main difference being an increased door height of 2040mm and door thickness of 40mm.

But: https://build.com.au/standard-door-sizes

Standard door height

As you can see above, the height of a 'standard' door in Australia is 2040mm. A lot of new homes are being built with taller (e.g. 2700mm) ceilings these days though, and for that reason many people are opting for taller 2340mm tall doors. While these taller doors are slightly more expensive, many people argue that they look better with a taller ceiling.

https://www.doornmore.com/help/what-is-the-standard-size-for-residential-homes.html

Exterior Doors

The standard size for an exterior door is 80 inches by 36 inches which is 6 ft, 8 inches by 3 ft. 96 inches or 8 ft. is now very common for newer homes and stock exterior doors are also commonly available in 30 and 32-inch widths. Some door manufacturers sell doors in 7ft & 8ft heights and door widths from 24 inches to 42 inches. The height for fiberglass or steel doors are fixed at 6 ft. 8 inches tall and 8 ft. tall. The standard door thickness is 1 ¾ inch.

And:https://homeguides.sfgate.com/typical-door-heights-openings-interior-framing-76126.html

The height of common doors is 6 feet 8 inches. The standard height of the rough opening for a door is the door height plus 2 5/8 inches. The additional room allows for a 3/4-inch top jamb, a shim space above the door jamb and the thickness of underlayment and finish flooring. If you are using pre-hung doors the opening should be 1/2 to 3/4 inch taller than the door and its jamb plus the thickness of any underlayment and finish flooring.

USA seems to normalize on 6'8" which is 2.032m.

But we basically have a range from 2.03 to 2.34

But what about Victorian era doors?

https://www.building-supplies-online.co.uk/doors/door-styles/victorian-doors.html

https://www.building-supplies-online.co.uk/doors/door-styles/victorian-doors/xl-joinery-victorian-4-panel-internal-white-moulded-door-with-forbes-glass.html

XL Joinery Victorian 4 Panel Internal White Moulded Door with Forbes Glass 1981 x 610 x 35mm (24")

Even smaller than modern ones.

As you can see, the doors of the Victorians are absurdly, silly huge

3.08795m

DoorHeights_003.jpg

DoorHeights_004.jpg

3.05889 - exterior door is oddly smaller than internal.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I'm not sure the purpose of so much rhetorical information, as only whatever applies to SL is all that matters, and you've pretty much reiterated my initial comment. :)

7 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I'm not sure the purpose of so much rhetorical information, as only whatever applies to SL is all that matters, and you've pretty much reiterated my initial comment. :)

Exactly. The other person said they're too short. I wanted to cite all the proof as to how insanely wrong that is.

They're almost 1.5 times too big.

It just took me a couple post edits to get them ALSO quoted in there... :)

2 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Exactly. The other person said they're too short. I wanted to cite all the proof as to how insanely wrong that is.

They're almost 1.5 times too big.

Yes, I have been using "Amazonian Freaks" for years and I've decided whatever, it is what it is. Hahahaha!

12 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Yes, I have been using "Amazonian Freaks" for years and I've decided whatever, it is what it is. Hahahaha!

This sort of thing drives me nuts... :) Note my proportions guide in my sig... ;)

On my mainland I use scripts to fix the scale and proportions of buildings I buy, often also cutting their land impact in half. If I could do that to my house on Bellisseria I could gain back about 30-50% more 'lawn /water space'... But it's also one reason why I like my houseboat more than my traditional. In addition to preferring water... I don't have as much mental reference for a houseboat so other than the door being almost twice my height I don't keep noticing how big everything is... I am more able to ignore it.

In the traditional because it looks like something I know from my own life experience... everytime I'm in it it's jarring to me visually. It triggers "Uncanny Valley" on me (link for those readers who don't know what that is).

Thus why it will be my alt that goes for a Victorian and not 'me'... Because I won't "SL live in it", I'll just visit it to play around with.

26 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

This sort of thing drives me nuts... :) Note my proportions guide in my sig... ;)

On my mainland I use scripts to fix the scale and proportions of buildings I buy, often also cutting their land impact in half. If I could do that to my house on Bellisseria I could gain back about 30-50% more 'lawn /water space'... But it's also one reason why I like my houseboat more than my traditional. In addition to preferring water... I don't have as much mental reference for a houseboat so other than the door being almost twice my height I don't keep noticing how big everything is... I am more able to ignore it.

In the traditional because it looks like something I know from my own life experience... everytime I'm in it it's jarring to me visually. It triggers "Uncanny Valley" on me (link for those readers who don't know what that is).

Thus why it will be my alt that goes for a Victorian and not 'me'... Because I won't "SL live in it", I'll just visit it to play around with.

If LL ever gives us modern homes, like old industrial builds renovated, you could put in more floors and have double the size to use.

So if I have a trad, i will have to abandon it to get the vic?  This info about current home is only for those models? Please note also that Linden Lab may offer new house models or upgraded versions of existing ones from time to time. When that happens, current residents will be notified. You may choose to use the mailbox to select a  new model or upgrade at any time. So can we upgrade to the Vic?  it doesn't seem like it

5 minutes ago, Dame Roxan said:

So if I have a trad, i will have to abandon it to get the vic?  This info about current home is only for those models? Please note also that Linden Lab may offer new house models or upgraded versions of existing ones from time to time. When that happens, current residents will be notified. You may choose to use the mailbox to select a  new model or upgrade at any time. So can we upgrade to the Vic?  it doesn't seem like it

You cannot upgrade to a Victorian home.  The Traditionals and the Victorians are two different themes.  You will have to abandon your Traditional or use a Premium alt to get a Victorian.

• Like 1

• Moles
1 hour ago, Dame Roxan said:

This info about current home is only for those models? "Please note also that Linden Lab may offer new house models or upgraded versions of existing ones from time to time. When that happens, current residents will be notified. You may choose to use the mailbox to select a  new model or upgrade at any time."

Yes, as LittleMe says, that information refers to changing the model of home on your parcel ( swapping a Winchester for an Adderley, for example, or a Wallower houseboat for an Evening Star ) or -- in the rare case when we issue a brand new model or an upgrade for the same model you are already using -- rezzing an upgrade to replace your old one.  The House Controllers do not allow you to rez out of theme, though, so you cannot rez a camping trailer on a traditional home parcel.  If you want to have a home that is in a different theme, you need to abandon the one you have and request an entirely new one in the new theme.

Edited by Dyna Mole
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

12 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Y'all are just jealous that our doors are bigger than yours...

🎵  I like big doors and I can not lie...

• Like 2
  • Haha 25
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

On my mainland I use scripts to fix the scale and proportions of buildings I buy, often also cutting their land impact in half.

I have done that as well, have to stop short of proportional though due to camera clipping (I'm sure that could be fixed just haven't got around to it!).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

Y'all are just jealous that our doors are bigger than yours...

🎵  I like big doors and I can not lie...

Damn you, evil, eeeviiil. Now I'll have an ear-worm for the rest of the day and it will have doors in it. Hahaha! (I am NOT kidding!)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

due to camera clipping (I'm sure that could be fixed just haven't got around to it!).

Yes, camera clipping can be fixed with:

https://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/getting-started-in-second-life/#Camera_Setup

AND,

making sure 'Allow the Camera to move without constraints through prims' is unchecked:

LindenHomeCamPerspective_003.thumb.jpg.2888b99710508bf0d9c027c337fb026a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Yes, camera clipping can be fixed with:

One can also reverse the setting that allows camera to clip through objects. Just saying.

I've also looked at your camera settings, they're good, though may be too low for some. I keep mine just a little higher. So for anyone looking to adjust their camera, do Pussycat's or you can try mine, which I've used since the beginning of my SL: https://my.secondlife.com/alyona.su/picks/7d86213c-a8c1-ef4b-1cf7-90392fa83d49 (This angle makes shopping and interacting with objects placed high still efficient.)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

One can also reverse the setting that allows camera to clip through objects. Just saying.

Thus the screenshot, unless there is an additional setting beyond just "removing" 'Allow the Camera to move without constraints through prims'?

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.