Next theme victorian?

Raspberry Crystal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I go with @Coby Foden and definetely prefer the Verne. I love the porch running around it and that of the two rooms upstairs one is smaller and fit for a bathroom. Shelly is similar but with two equally big rooms upstairs and lots of crooked walls where I could not place furniture,

Doyle is quite nice but has too little room and Hardy has lots too much room for me. I would not know how to fill it and how to use it.

I would not care about the footprint for if the Moles place only half as much nice flowers as in the Reveal region you do not need to do lots of gardening yourself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coby Foden said:

After looking carefully at each house type many times, I think that I would like The Verne house the most. It has the smallest footprint so it leaves the most room for garden. I like that as I have noticed that I spend the most time outside in my present traditional house parcel. If I ever move to Victorian house then The Verne is I most likely which I would choose. To save LI for garden use I might even leave the upstairs rooms empty.

The single story house The Doyle might be nice too, but it actually has a bigger footprint than The Verne.

Totally agree, it looks perfect to me. I'm currently using a Continental/Adams, since they allow lot of space for flowers and gardening. However, I still haven't made up my mind about going for the new Victorian homes. They are lovely, but I got a great location, and maybe I want to see more of the new regions first.

My hubby has been playing with getting and abandoning homes, but we might cancel his premium account, since he's not inworld that much

• Like 2

I really like the new homes coming out, but the location I have now is ideallic so dunno if I'm gonna give it up.... will have to think on it.  And although we had an idea that victorian was gonna be the next round,  I personally was hoping for a year round winter themed neighborhood with cabins and whatnot.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Voshie Paine said:

I really like the new homes coming out, but the location I have now is ideallic so dunno if I'm gonna give it up.... will have to think on it.  And although we had an idea that victorian was gonna be the next round,  I personally was hoping for a year round winter themed neighborhood with cabins and whatnot.

I have two premium alts, and one holds a perfect location for a trad...

So the other one will try for Victorian a few times and if she gets something nearly equally... the one in the trad will abandon, and then be used to try and get something even better... and I'll cycle them like that for a little while until I have the perfect spot... and then the remaining one will likely get used for mainland tier or a camper because there's no point in having both a trad and a victorian. :P

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I have two premium alts, and one holds a perfect location for a trad...

So the other one will try for Victorian a few times and if she gets something nearly equally... the one in the trad will abandon, and then be used to try and get something even better... and I'll cycle them like that for a little while until I have the perfect spot... and then the remaining one will likely get used for mainland tier or a camper because there's no point in having both a trad and a victorian. :P

I said this about my alts - and now I have a Trad that I don't want to give up, a Houseboat that I also like a whole lot, and a Camper that I like quite a bit.  Only one more account left to maybe try for a Victorian.  And what do I do if that one account exhausts their 5 daily tries and I'm still not overjoyed with the locations I've gotten?  I hesitate to bump another alt to Premium since I know that the Premium Plus is coming soon and I'll likely want it for at least this account.

@Patch Linden - Darn you for these difficult decisions I have to keep making.  SL was so much easier before Bellisseria (though, granted, a lot less exciting - at least for me)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I have seen it noted that the new Victorians will let you change wall colors independently.

@Patch LindenDoes anyone know if we will be able to set autoclose differently for each door? Or at least for inside vs. outside doors?

That actually goes a LONG way towards me decided which house I prefer. The sole reason my trad went Adams was no internal doors I would have to click on, so instead I rescripted the doors I added to be collision based. But often I like no inside doors at all - but to keep the outside door auto-closing.

Several of the Victorians have open first floors, but the second floors then have doors I'd like to control differently than the outside.
- In the traditionals the same feature; if it had existed, would have made addon rooms function a lot better.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Leora Jacobus said:

I go with @Coby Foden and definetely prefer the Verne. I love the porch running around it and that of the two rooms upstairs one is smaller and fit for a bathroom. Shelly is similar but with two equally big rooms upstairs and lots of crooked walls where I could not place furniture,

I'm havina LOT of trouble picking...

I like the large open first floors of all of the 2-story houses. I'm not too fond of porches so the Hardy edges ahead here, but it has more upstairs rooms than I know what to do with, so then the Shelly and Verne take over...

This time around I'm not fond of the one-story building because it has lots of internal doors. But logically... it's about the amount of space I would use - everytime I rez out multi-story buildings on my mainland I find I ignore all but one story... but the story I end up spending all my time in is usually the one with the least walls / doors.

I predict that I will be flipping between the choices a LOT early on...

• Like 2

When I was touring the homes the day they opened the ONLY one that was easy to walk around in was the pink one :D . I liked the other too but even with my view set to a more navigable settings I was looking through wall every time I turned around. So IF you (that big you) only cammed into the buildings, a walkthrough (literally) would be a good thing. Even the tiny one had movement issues.   

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

When I was touring the homes the day they opened the ONLY one that was easy to walk around in was the pink one :D . I liked the other too but even with my view set to a more navigable settings I was looking through wall every time I turned around.

What are your camera settings?

These are what I use:

https://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/getting-started-in-second-life/#Camera_Setup

- and they let me move around accurate scale buildings, which are about 65%-70% the size of the 'giant sized' ones in the Linden Homes.

LindenHomeCamPerspective_002.jpg

LindenHomeCamPerspective_001.jpg

Maybe the issue is here:

LindenHomeCamPerspective_003.jpg

"Allow Camera to move without constraints through prims"

- I have that unchecked.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

When I was touring the homes the day they opened the ONLY one that was easy to walk around in was the pink one :D . I liked the other too but even with my view set to a more navigable settings I was looking through wall every time I turned around. So IF you (that big you) only cammed into the buildings, a walkthrough (literally) would be a good thing. Even the tiny one had movement issues.   

Do you remember the Low Li curtains thread? Even with 1 Li curtains, it will be over 20 Li for a house. I think the Hardy has 27! I was counting the windows, can't remember the number 100% , but it was over 20.

So, if you could make a rough model of the rooms with prims when we get houses, and place the curtains as they will be for each window, and join them in Blender before upload, would that not be lower Li? A room with 6 windows, could that be 2-3 Li if the curtains was joined?

It would have to be sold only for these houses, since the curtains can't be unlinked.

The windows in the round and octagonal turrets, how about a premade set for them at least?

I was reading about making curtains in Blender (augh) I am not in the mood for really trying to learn it....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Do you remember the Low Li curtains thread? Even with 1 Li curtains, it will be over 20 Li for a house. I think the Hardy has 27! I was counting the windows, can't remember the number 100% , but it was over 20.

So, if you could make a rough model of the rooms with prims when we get houses, and place the curtains as they will be for each window, and join them in Blender before upload, would that not be lower Li? A room with 6 windows, could that be 2-3 Li if the curtains was joined?

It would have to be sold only for these houses, since the curtains can't be unlinked.

The windows in the round and octagonal turrets, how about a premade set for them at least?

I was reading about making curtains in Blender (augh) I am not in the mood for really trying to learn it....

I don’t mind leaving windows un-curtained. If the decor is right, the windows can remain nice and open as this:

8A12EFB9-02F8-4752-8165-5EFAC54ECF19.jpeg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I was very "unsociable" and allready when waiting on the bridge muted anyone around me, later every ava that came in sight. Then when it opened I FLEW right over the region to the last white house. Had no difficulties at all walking through the houses and taking photos though I bet my computer is much weaker then yours.

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

I was very "unsociable" and allready when waiting on the bridge muted anyone around me, later every ava that came in sight. Then when it opened I FLEW right over the region to the last white house. Had no difficulties at all walking through the houses and taking photos though I bet my computer is much weaker then yours.

I was there REALLY early (and have been back a couple of times). No issues with lag or anything just the smallness of the rooms -- which actually is typical for me when I have lived in "proper" Victorian houses in the past.  I haven't changed my viewer settings in almost a year and they work fine in all the other houses that have.  Not a computer issue. Glad it works for you.   :D.   I won't be moving so it isn't a big deal for me and they definitely are built on regular house plans. The pink one worked fine for me so that would be "my" choice (not the pink though) LOL.   

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I was thinking about you and your curtains last night :D.   And yes, curtains are "really hard" (for me anyway).  I only made them that once when I had the Victorian home.    I don't know for sure how much that making them all "one" mesh would help. It would certainly help on the lower LOD costs because the item would be much larger so wouldn't break up as easily. BUT there would be one big problem and that would be triangle count. You can only upload 23,000 or so (forgot the actual count as I never get close to it  -- ah wiki now says 21,844). So the best you could do would be to make clusters I think. 

I have a friend in my group who is going to try for a Victorian so likely I can experiment and see if that would work -- or how well.  If it did she would then have free curtains  LOL.   Since there are apparently going to be SO MANY houses released I suspect that she will be able to get one. So when the time comes I will give it a try.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Then I misunderstood you. So you were talking of the viewer angle.

It wasnt easy to get good inside shots but I managed allright. Here are some of my favourite house the Verne :

Well your viewer setting is different from mine certainly but I am not going to change mine LOL. And since I am not moving it doesn't matter :D. But typically mine works well in most houses :D.    You are further away and looking down more at yourself than I am.  :D.  I hope you have a super fun time decorating.  My friend bought a ton of stuff at Apple Fall's so hopefully she will also.   I got quite a few things too, just not for the new Victorians.  THAT timing was good.    

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Wouldn't the drapes in the turrets hang from ceiling to floor?

The idea of creating curtains/drapes for these is a good one. I'll tap the shoulder of my business buddy and ask him if he's willing to do some. If he agrees, can I bump heads with you in world or PM here about it? (For your input on how they should be constructed, and whatnot) :)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Wouldn't the drapes in the turrets hang from ceiling to floor?

The idea of creating curtains/drapes for these is a good one. I'll tap the shoulder of my business buddy and ask him if he's willing to do some. If he agrees, can I bump heads with you in world or PM here about it? (For your input on how they should be constructed, and whatnot) :)

I would be sure to buy them for any reasonable price ... if they look reasonably good!

And I am sure lots of people would!

ONE big wish: they should be modify and you can just drag textures onto them out of yor inventory!!

Or if that iis asked too much at least white and tintable!

Alternately or PLUS some chintzy patterns that come with them.

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

I would be sure to buy them for any reasonable price ... if they look reasonably good!

And I am sure lots of people would!

ONE big wish: they should be modify and you can just drag textures onto them out of yor inventory!!

Or if that iis asked too much at least white and tintable!

Alternately or PLUS some chintzy patterns that come with them.

We made complete inners for three campers and they are fully modify. We also include all the original textures with them, too. I did the same with my Bellisseria Winter Windows (the iced-over window add-ons) - fully copy and modify and include all the texture files, as well as several "prefab" versions. :)  I've already sent the idea to him. Though he's a total recluse and usually comes into SL at weird times of day LOL. But always looking for these kind of projects to keep him busy.

My "Winter Windows" kit is already updated to include these Victorian backgrounds (so for anyone who already has grabbed them, go to your Purchase History and grab a redelivery) :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I tested this idea just now using my seven curtains in my Peony home.   It worked --- but no help on the land impact. In fact the seven curtains were 10.  So EASIER to set up but no savings on LI. That is partly because of that 1.4 equals 1 bonus.    This was on MY curtains which were already very low poly.    So I guess you better just designate that amount of LI for the curtains.  Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Leora Jacobus said:

While being modify "may" let you drag textures onto the curtains, it is not a guarantee. Would depend totally on HOW the curtains were mapped in the 3D software.  They could have been made so that any patterns will not match well at all.   So if that is important, better ask the creator. Also in adding your own textures you will automatically lose all ambient shadows and the fabric will look "flat".  Just a warning :D.

Meanwhile while you are here. Yes, I was talking about view angle. This is what I see when I log in so this is my default angle and has been for many months. Before that I use the LL default mostly so that I could see how things looked at LEA for the "new folks" and anyone using the default setting (which is a lot of people).  

image.thumb.png.16a49db31c5076a19540579d7e6c68a7.png

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.