Next theme victorian?

Raspberry Crystal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1596 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Chad Marbach said:

I like the new home design and they do seem more spacious. 

The 'Hardy' seems to be best of the four models. 

I could see the rooms being laid out with what I would like as a setup.

Looking from the front of the house :

Front Left as a dining room, front Right as a living room, Rear Left as a Kitchen, Front Center and Rear Center as Foyers.

Upstairs would be 2 bedrooms Master on the right side of the house, 2nd on the left front  and a full bathroom in the rear room.

IMHO.

But I want my Grand Piano? Maybe the big right room could have both the piano and a sitting group. I have also thought about the left rooms as front: Dining and rear: Kitchen. The back entrance to the porch is very nice here.

I want the 2 front rooms upstairs to be Master and bath. The rear room would be the guest room.

The real problem with these houses is curtains. Will I need to use textured prims? Ugh. It is so many windows.

Don't know anything about the curtains or blinds, if any.  The scripted components in the houses did not seem to be active (main control, mailbox, etc.).  As far as curtains, From past experience, they would either have default type window configurations (like they did in the old homes, but you either had no curtains, light weight curtains with no animation or control or blinders also with no control). 

41 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Plantation homes were typically Greek Revival Architecture not Victorian. Townhomes found in cities like Atlanta were just beginning to adopt the Victorian style.

Blush is correct and that makes the idiot double-wrong - once for completely getting the style wrong, and once for being a racist POS. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Chad Marbach said:

Don't know anything about the curtains or blinds, if any.  The scripted components in the houses did not seem to be active (main control, mailbox, etc.).  As far as curtains, From past experience, they would either have default type window configurations (like they did in the old homes, but you either had no curtains, light weight curtains with no animation or control or blinders also with no control). 

I will spend a lot of Li on curtains, that's what I meant. These houses should have curtains. Well, not if you have modern furniture in them. But I am going for a traditional style, and that means I have to be really creative, to hang curtains in over 20 windows.

I am sure they have some sort of built in window cover.

I have decided these are not "Victorian" theme. These are "We are posh above all you poor people" theme. LOL

Holy-smackers, batman, the landscaping is what make these. Otherwise they are stuffy, smelly, *old* houses. But that landscaping... wow. Seriously, the landscaping is what defines these for sure. If these LL Home neighborhoods will be dressed like this... wow. Not much left to do on the outside. One can devote all LI to the inners.

9 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

One can devote all LI to the inners.

With two of them (Hardy & Shelley?) the footprint is so large that you pretty much are forced to cut back on landscaping.  Which, IMHO, should make these regions less laggy than North Belli regions.  Objects inside houses will generally not be rezzed fully unless you cam in, so there will be a lot less resident-owned Skye/Organica/Botanical/Little Branch/Hayabusa/Reid/HPMD/Chez Moi/Laq lalalala pools, hot tubs, outdoor furniture, flowers, trees and grasses to rezrezrez.

7 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Objects inside houses will generally not be rezzed fully unless you cam in

I thought this was only true if you had Object Occlusion enabled in the viewer.  Otherwise, I thought the viewer still fully loaded the object and textures, even if you couldn't actually see it.

I haven't been able to go in-world yet to see the new houses up close, but from what I've seen of the pictures posted, and the things that have been said about them, I am looking forward to them.   I went from traditional to houseboat to trailer, which I gave up a bit ago, because nothing really felt 'at home' for me.  From the pictures, the new ones remind me of old Victorian Era houses I lived in when I was small, up in the old gold rush towns of the Sierra Nevada foothills in California. 

The very first house I bought in SL, when I was only a few weeks old, was a Victorian.  I still rez it out to look at it every so often, but the scale on it is way to big for me and my furnishings now days (and I don't think I want to mess around with trying to scale it down).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

With two of them (Hardy & Shelley?) the footprint is so large that you pretty much are forced to cut back on landscaping.  Which, IMHO, should make these regions less laggy than North Belli regions.  Objects inside houses will generally not be rezzed fully unless you cam in, so there will be a lot less resident-owned Skye/Organica/Botanical/Little Branch/Hayabusa/Reid/HPMD/Chez Moi/Laq lalalala pools, hot tubs, outdoor furniture, flowers, trees and grasses to rezrezrez.

This is actually incorrect. Objects will almost always be fully rezzed regardless of whether they are occluded by something.

7 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I thought this was only true if you had Object Occlusion enabled in the viewer.  Otherwise, I thought the viewer still fully loaded the object and textures, even if you couldn't actually see it.

The Viewer loads objects fully regardless of this option. If an object was rezzed, its "details" such as the resolution of its textures is solely dependent on the importance of said texture on your screen to the Viewer, you can summarize it as "the distance to your camera". 

Also object-object occlusion is kinda wonky and especially with houses and wonky bounding boxes of most items you should be super careful, object object occlusion can occlude stuff but usually does so in a very inefficient way, not only does it have a significant impact on your framerate which needs to be offset with render heavy objects being occluded to make up for the loss, its also quite bad at doing the only thing its supposed to do.

To show you an example of how "effective" object object occlusion actually is:

Off.

Snapshot_019.thumb.png.bcca0ac1614aa8f0e69ee6626d536049.png

On.Snapshot_020.thumb.png.07f84864162650f479601f8b61f4cb1a.png

I enabled the occlusion debug rendering for you to see what is being occluded, everything red is occluded by an object but not yet culled, everything that isn't visible anymore is culled. The difference between on/off is basically 1-2 items.

Just because a tiny bit of one of the trees is poking out of the corner of the wall, you can imagine how this goes with buildings that have holes in them such as doors and windows.

Edited by NiranV Dean
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Colette Meredith said:

Does anyone know when LL is making these available? I live in Australia so it can be tricky to coordinate things. We are +10 UTC in Victoria, and I tend to miss out. :(

Noone knows we can but guess and speculate. I would tend to this scenario:

Sometimes in the very near future (I would guess Wednesday at 10:00 am SLT) they will start to releaese the first (say four) regions of Victorians ... as soon as they are consumed the next four and so on. They MAY also release all named ones at ONE BIG BULK ... In any case it will take at least 48 hours till they are all taken, maybe several days? a week? or even longer depending how many people like this style. You will be able to get one 24 hours a day for several days.

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Sometimes in the very near future (I would guess Wednesday at 10:00 am SLT) they will start to releaese the first (say four) regions of Victorians ... as soon as they are consumed the next four and so on. They MAY also release all named ones at ONE BIG BULK ... In any case it will take at least 48 hours till they are all taken, maybe several days? a week? or even longer depending how many people like this style. You will be able to get one 24 hours a day for several days.

Thanks very much :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2019 at 5:38 AM, Elena Core said:

@Pussycat Catnap, please don not let someone with such a sad spirit get to you. Some people have trash on their souls and they need to throw it to the world, so other people have the same garbage on them.  Those Linden Victorian homes are made with love, to begin with. 

When I posted it about my ideas on having Mediterranean style houses, someone came to me saying that style was part of a culture that invaded and destroyed the former Southamerican civilization... And I was just showing pictures of homes....

Plus, that person really needs to read and investigage a bit more on History. Even me, on the other side of the Ocean, can tell the difference.Please, we really need more reading in this  modern era...

I'm going to reiterate this.

/rant on from someone who works in architecture (without getting all pedantic about it

Victorian does NOT equate to a plantation home.  Victorian originally meant built during the reign of Queen Victoria during the industrial revolution, and obviously, therefore, originated in Great Britain. They were built in enormous numbers because duh - industrial revolution and the need for housing and also led to improved conditions for indoor housing like indoor plumbing for instance. 

Victorian houses were built everywhere, and encompass numerous styles of architecture (Queen Anne, Italianate, Stick, Arts & Crafts, Gothic Romanesque, Revival, etc.). Just because some plantation owner happened to build a house in one of those styles is just coincidence. There are probably more of those houses in some form of  Colonial or Greek Revival style than Victorian.

There's no reason to feel that this style is solely reflective of a time period that enslaved people. There were millions who lived in these style homes that were of the general population both overseas and here in the US once the style became popular. You make of it here in SL what you want to make of it. There are Victorians in metropolitan cities of several countries, sea-side areas towns, suburbs of big cities, mountain enclave villages and yes, there are some plantations in this style also. It was popular because it's beautiful and varied and is still wildly desirable today as it was generations ago.

Enjoy and embrace your love of it if that's what you want. Screw those who try to tell you otherwise. 

/rant off

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was very sceptical about the new theme and didn't think I would give up my Trad. So today I gave them a visit and holy-frey-holy... 😮
There really wouldn't be a big need for add-ons since the floor plan ist very good there. I like the fact that now you could easily put all the common rooms in there without having to waste LI for add-on rooms. Also, the new wall colors are amazing. The purple-ish and dark grey-ish had me at 'hello'. 😄

There's no confirmed release date yet, right? So it could be any day now?

Well, I guess I should box up all my furniture now... & sit and wait in an empty house until release day. And probably miss all of it. 😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Leora Jacobus said:

If they do a bulk release, I doublt it will last as much as 24 hours. People was not prepared for the April release. So many don't read forums or blogs. Now the word has spread.

The campers were different. The 512 size was to accommodate those who donate 512 to a group, or who have a store on a 512 parcel. They could not be so very many. There has been releases of one region where the campers was caught and abandoned for over an hour after. And that's what, 20 campers?

If we have 24+ hours for a bulk release, we are lucky, I would say. I see they are still making Trads. That surprises me a bit. But the Trads are better for outdoor swimmingpools and not so oldfashioned. They have the small rooms though, maybe good for some...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

If they do a bulk release, I doublt it will last as much as 24 hours. People was not prepared for the April release. So many don't read forums or blogs. Now the word has spread.

The campers were different. The 512 size was to accommodate those who donate 512 to a group, or who have a store on a 512 parcel. They could not be so very many. There has been releases of one region where the campers was caught and abandoned for over an hour after. And that's what, 20 campers?

If we have 24+ hours for a bulk release, we are lucky, I would say. I see they are still making Trads. That surprises me a bit. But the Trads are better for outdoor swimmingpools and not so oldfashioned. They have the small rooms though, maybe good for some...

If they release all of the Victorians and all of the other new areas we have spotted during the same release, it could go past 24 hours.   Especially if LL does what they did with the Campers and controls the number of new regions actually available during the day / early evening of the release day.  The initial Camper release ended up spanning something like 8-10 hours.  I could see them doing something similar with this, and then once they get into the evening, making all the rest available.

• Like 2

If they release all the new outlying Trad/camper/boat regions intermixed with the Victorian release, it will be madness I tell you, madness lol!

There are a lot of abandons happening right now, but there will be more during the Victorian release.  If you pick up a Trad then, will it be an abandon from April, or on a cute little clump off Belli, or scary (delightfully?) close to Jeogeot [DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO PRONOUNCE THAT? The wikis are curiously silent on that point!]?  Most folks won't know about these new outlier areas, and if they get a home on one may be completely bewildered.

/me is gonna keep my head down and only click on Vics that day!

I hope everyone who's going to abandon their existing parcel does it this weekend, lol.  Maybe Monday too.  But I woudn't bank on abandoning Tuesday, if you want to keep your 5 acquires/releases for Vic release day. 

Tho still no 8-ball pic from Patch.  Which might indicate he's not sure yet of the release date, OR .... it may indicate nothing at all.  Busy guy nowadays, maybe he won't do that this time around.

Edited by Nika Talaj
spelling!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

With two of them (Hardy & Shelley?) the footprint is so large that you pretty much are forced to cut back on landscaping.  Which, IMHO, should make these regions less laggy than North Belli regions.

I agree with you for a different reason.

Tree merchants have been slow to transition into mesh.

A -LOT- of people are using sculpties for trees. One brand I will not name is often recommended in Bellisseria groups and sells '1-land impact sculpty trees'. This is the very brand that near killed my -region- in 2009 when I bought up a stack of them and then started wondering why I couldn't top over 5-10fps in SL... I blamed pretty much everyone on my sim -region-... until the day I got fed up and took down my garden and saw my FPS jump up about 10-20 more fps...
- that brand is still selling the same old sculpty trees... and they're infecting Bellisseria.

And it's not their fault. All sculpty trees do that.

With less space for plants... there will be less sculpties out... Lag will improve.

/me holds up fanatical sign that reads "Death to Sculpties !"

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Haha 1

I think it is smart of LL to release as many regions as possible before the New Year. It is a 10% off for 1 year premium, and it will tempt people to go Premium, buy Premium as gifts, upgrade an alt to Premium. And for a whole year. That's safe money for LL.

But people will not do that for nothing. LL need homes for them.

What I would do, if I were LL, is dividing it in 2 - 3 or 4 bigger releases.

Go for half of the regions in the first, and 1/4 in the next two, and then finish the last regions they can get ready, and release the scraps on Monday 23. Dec. A big release, then people who missed it, will be told: We have just as many ready, and will release them before Christmas. That will sound good.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

In my head, I pronounce it "YO-GO" LOL Maybes the Asian-ness in my head for a very not-asian word.

Well, Jeogeot was originally spoken of as "the Korean continent", for reasons that now appear puzzling.  Perhaps, if that is an Asian pronunciation, it is "right"!

5 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Well, Jeogeot was originally spoken of as "the Korean continent", for reasons that now appear puzzling.  Perhaps, if that is an Asian pronunciation, it is "right"!

Found this on the innerwebs... 

17aa993f723c1c6955a5b4f581072b0a.png.53f22d259c9e3bae7fc6ef2ccbb3b0bb.png

I've always thought of it as "geo-gut". Apparently it means "stuff or that stuff". 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Found this on the innerwebs... 

17aa993f723c1c6955a5b4f581072b0a.png.53f22d259c9e3bae7fc6ef2ccbb3b0bb.png

I've always thought of it as "geo-gut". Apparently it means "stuff or that stuff". 

Korean is my second language. The pronunciation on that is NOT juh-guht. At least NOT as an American would pronounce a 'uh' sound. It's hard to write in English characters because Korean has 2 'o' sounds that to a western ear can sound almost identical. It took me a few years living in Korean and developing a Seoul accent to be able to get them apart, and I still mix them up much to the humor of the Koreans in my life...

One is the ㅓ and the other is ㅗ .

ㅗ  is easy, it is a hard o: oh. Like in:

ㅗ kay boomer.

The other is -sometimes- a good fit for:

I love this sㅓng dude, this DJ Rawks! 100L on the board... but with a little bit more 'oh' in it than an American would typically use.

Next...

is more if a 'k' than a 'g', but a soft k, with a little bit of 'g' in it... if Kenny G was named Kenny K, it'd be how we said his name - soft and smooth... ㄲ  is the hard 'k'... A Vi ㄲ ing way of saying it... :P

is normally an 's', like: Let's all ing a ong. But at the end of a syllable it can be a 't', unless the next syllable begins with a vowel, in which case it becomes the leading 's' as it moves to the next syllable.

is usually a 'j', but with a slight hint to the fact that is the same 'ch' found in a game of eckers.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1596 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.