Next theme victorian?

Raspberry Crystal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1589 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

VICTORIAN???? That would be a new housestile I'd LOVE.

Allready now I am VERY tempted to prolong MORE than one of my Premiumaccounts!

They know how to drag the money out of my pocket!! They really do!! *lol*

Well deserved promotion to (what was it?) " Vice President of Product Operations " !! ... Had to look it up!

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Marianne Little said:

If they plan this to be starter homes we move away from, they are doing it wrong.

😍

Although, I am more than ready for modern too.

i love Victorian styles   ,i always rented those  houses in SL  

• Like 2

It seems like too obvious to be a "hint" but then I checked the background of the picture while enlarged, and it does seem to be a neighborhood of homes that don't look like current trads, although they're mostly obstructed by trees. I was really hoping for something a lot different from current, but victorian really is a lovely theme that will be popular! Would I switch to it? We'll see..

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, s2Pandora said:

I'm moreso hoping this is just a new addition to the traditional line.

I'm not sure that's even possible now is it? Forgive me if this isn't what you mean, but are you thinking to be able to be rezzed in the exact same location as where the four current trad styles are?

The "lego" mock-up models that are used in the building process didn't include other builds beyond the styles we currently have which means there could potentially be clipping from trees etc that may need to be edited IF another style was able to be rezzed in where the current 4 trads are able to be rezzed now. Not impossible but not sure the team want the extra work either. Though as to how much work that potentially equates to or if it competes with creating whole separate regions specifically designed for others styles remains to be seen I guess. I'd absolutely love to be proven wrong here since I want to keep my land, dammit!

Of course the builders could circumnavigate that problem by ensuring further styles didn't extend beyond those dimensions used in that mock-up too so... I don't know.

All I can think of is PORCH and am mentally making grabby hands for it already.

Curiouser and curiouser... 🤔

• Like 1

Betcha dollars to donuts that we are not looking at Victorian here.  Or modern.  I'm thinking Great Plains.  Dust off those phrases like "dollars to donuts"!

Think about it. Train tracks are poised to plunge south into the unbuilt unknown of Belli.  Maybe we're heading for a flatter landscape, with wide horizons and amber waves of grain. Remember A. M. Radio?

A place where houses stay where they're put until a tornado comes along (I've been amazed at how well LL has done in placing 20 homes on a bumpy landscape,  RAW files don't have enough resolution to make it easy!).  Where grain silos cluster near to train tracks, and windmills turn lazily.

Great Plains does not mean grey landscapes baking under a brutal sun, Wizard of Oz notwithstanding.  It can mean gracious farmhouses, maybe nestled in a grove of trees.  Long lines of trees for windscreens.  Deep porches with wide floorboards.   Gingerbread touches to the exterior (and interior!  Pocket doors ftw!).  Look behind Patch at the window and the detail on the porch support;  Arts and Crafts meets farmhouse.   If you've ever left the freeway in Kansas and driven through small towns on rural routes, you go through some of the most charming townships you'd ever want to see.  Maybe clustered around a precious creek, every detail in the public areas thoughtfully placed.  Flowering hedges and big beech trees, little town squares with bandstands, homes with trellis arches leading to carefully crafted gardens.

You could order very nice whole farmhouses from early monkey ward and sears catalogs.  Search "vintage Montgomery Ward architecture".

Could there be Burma Shave signs, @Patch Linden ?

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

I'm not sure that's even possible now is it? Forgive me if this isn't what you mean, but are you thinking to be able to be rezzed in the exact same location as where the four current trad styles are?

The "lego" mock-up models that are used in the building process didn't include other builds beyond the styles we currently have which means there could potentially be clipping from trees etc that may need to be edited IF another style was able to be rezzed in where the current 4 trads are able to be rezzed now. Not impossible but not sure the team want the extra work either. Though as to how much work that potentially equates to or if it competes with creating whole separate regions specifically designed for others styles remains to be seen I guess. I'd absolutely love to be proven wrong here since I want to keep my land, dammit!

Of course the builders could circumnavigate that problem by ensuring further styles didn't extend beyond those dimensions used in that mock-up too so... I don't know.

All I can think of is PORCH and am mentally making grabby hands for it already.

Curiouser and curiouser... 🤔

I thought perhaps they were trying to come up with a way given they were testing something that messed up the Winchesters on some regions for a bit.

Some think it was something to do with wall colors, which it could of been, but what if it wasn't just that?

Wishful thinking, really. The landscaping just looks similar to what we already have.

Edited by s2Pandora
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

Betcha dollars to donuts that we are not looking at Victorian here.  Or modern.  I'm thinking Great Plains.  Dust off those phrases like "dollars to donuts"!

Think about it. Train tracks are poised to plunge south into the unbuilt unknown of Belli.  Maybe we're heading for a flatter landscape, with wide horizons and amber waves of grain. Remember A. M. Radio?

A place where houses stay where they're put until a tornado comes along (I've been amazed at how well LL has done in placing 20 homes on a bumpy landscape,  RAW files don't have enough resolution to make it easy!).  Where grain silos cluster near to train tracks, and windmills turn lazily.

Great Plains does not mean grey landscapes baking under a brutal sun, Wizard of Oz notwithstanding.  It can mean gracious farmhouses, maybe nestled in a grove of trees.  Long lines of trees for windscreens.  Deep porches with wide floorboards.   Gingerbread touches to the exterior (and interior!  Pocket doors ftw!).  Look behind Patch at the window and the detail on the porch support;  Arts and Crafts meets farmhouse.   If you've ever left the freeway in Kansas and driven through small towns on rural routes, you go through some of the most charming townships you'd ever want to see.  Maybe clustered around a precious creek, every detail in the public areas thoughtfully placed.  Flowering hedges and big beech trees, little town squares with bandstands, homes with trellis arches leading to carefully crafted gardens.

You could order very nice whole farmhouses from early monkey ward and sears catalogs.  Search "vintage Montgomery Ward architecture".

Could there be Burma Shave signs, @Patch Linden ?

Sounds even better. What ever they call it, it looks lovely. The small glimpse we got of it. Looks more like the details on builds from 1 class builders. I haven't thought of the traditionals as more than solid and good, the private home builders have outclassed the trads. But now, this is very interesting. I need a chair with better upholstery when the new style is released. It will be a struggle to get one, bigger than before.

• Like 2

There WERE -- "country Victorians" as described --- especially in the Southern US.   I know because I found them while researching a couple of years ago and built a house based on an authentic country Victorian in Texas.   So not all homes of that time period had tall roofs and tons of gingerbread. And that country style would definitely go well with the trains and such.  

Also it wouldn't be difficult at all to make a new style that would fit into the footprint of the traditional homes.  So that could be a possibility. I am betting on NEW STYLE though as historically Linden Lab doesn't "redo" projects. The Realms (before the complete overhaul) was the only one I can remember that had a retrofit.   

Fun though!!!!

PS.  It could also be something to do with "Super Duper Premium" and larger lots.  I don't really THINK SO, but a possibility. 

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

PS.  It could also be something to do with "Super Duper Premium" and larger lots.  I don't really THINK SO, but a possibility. 

One can hope it will be so. If so, only the premiums who register for this "elite" can try the new houses. Maybe fewer to fight over them. But that depends upon unknown factors, how many is made and how many will upgrade.

If we can see the houses and the parcels on the SSPE regions, we could guess, based upon the numbers of houses on each region. If it's a new release for the "common" premium, there should not be any difference. I have said many times that the "elite" premium need more LI.

Linden called the new premium Elite, have they renamed it? Some thought it sounded tacky.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

One can hope it will be so. If so, only the premiums who register for this "elite" can try the new houses. Maybe fewer to fight over them. But that depends upon unknown factors, how many is made and how many will upgrade.

If we can see the houses and the parcels on the SSPE regions, we could guess, based upon the numbers of houses on each region. If it's a new release for the "common" premium, there should not be any difference. I have said many times that the "elite" premium need more LI.

Linden called the new premium Elite, have they renamed it? Some thought it sounded tacky.

It's not called elite, that was just a thought mentioned in a meeting. The most recent official reference to it I remember was "Super Duper" and even that was tongue in cheek. As for the double parcel size, that's also is only a guess, since it's not officially announce, no one rally has a clue what it would include, though I presume double land-use waiver for up to 2048 m@ because without some kind of bonus in land holdings, it could be a real deal-breaker for potential buyers of it.

As for the new theme, that's a real toss-up, but I *believe* I recall mention of "rural-is"h and possibly "urban-ish" themes, though I don;t recall if any of those mentions were by any indens, Moles, or residents (it's all becoming a blur, now.)

As for the new @Patch Linden snapshot, is it announced as theme teaser or is it just another Patch-Pix? Because he does put one up there unrelated to LL Homes once in a while, and this could just be his Halloween contribution (though it *does* look like a teaser picture). 

Actually, I'd love to see other themes, like traditional Mediterranean homes or mountains ones. Many of us are not living in Northamerica, SL is made up of many different nationalities and cultures, and it would be nice to have something different.

I love the trads and campers, but what about some white and brick homes, or old country style? Of course you cannot please everyone, but  some diversity would be welcome

casa_medi.jpg

casa_montana.jpg

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

If they plan this to be starter homes we move away from, they are doing it wrong.

Heh.

That said, home makers like Trompe Loell put out some amazing stuff that give me good motivation to have some mainland.

As far as styles, I want fantasy village and cyberpunk sprawl. And maybe a sky city... somewhere between Jetsons, Empire Strikes Back, and space port. And an underwater theme, with mermaid 'campers' and sea pods.

I don't expect to ever see any of those themes, but I can wish.

One of the coolest sims I ever saw was a rental sim that had set the water level to maybe 100 or something way higher, and it was a giant 'hamster build' under water. With the rentals being rooms here and there. Bad idea for rentals - so the sim only lasted a month or so - but very neat concept. I'd love to see an extremely deep sea environment.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

There WERE -- "country Victorians" as described --- especially in the Southern US.   I know because I found them while researching a couple of years ago and built a house based on an authentic country Victorian in Texas.   So not all homes of that time period had tall roofs and tons of gingerbread. And that country style would definitely go well with the trains and such.  

Also it wouldn't be difficult at all to make a new style that would fit into the footprint of the traditional homes.  So that could be a possibility. I am betting on NEW STYLE though as historically Linden Lab doesn't "redo" projects. The Realms (before the complete overhaul) was the only one I can remember that had a retrofit.   

Fun though!!!!

This just posted in SSP thread, where he used the word "wilderness" - and since there are no train-control whatevers on those tracks (we cannot use them yet) "wilderness" wouldn't apply to what we see if using them. 

Patch and Moles are EVIL. I hope they never stop. LOL

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

No, some of us have been calling the upcoming feature "Super Duper Premium" for a long while. I think a Linden may have said that in jest long ago and other picked it up (no video footage :D).   Personally I think the new Elite will have some surprising inclusions, not just bigger lots in Belli.  I think these  new styles could easily fit on a  1024 parcel. They  could be BIGGER than some of the other themes and still fit just fine.   Not sure that "bigger" is what The Lab wants though, certainly not what they said when Belli opened. 

You could have this STYLE and still be small. We can't tell how big anything really is from that photo (purposefully I suspect) .

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Heh.

That said, home makers like Trompe Loell put out some amazing stuff that give me good motivation to have some mainland.

As far as styles, I want fantasy village and cyberpunk sprawl. And maybe a sky city... somewhere between Jetsons, Empire Strikes Back, and space port. And an underwater theme, with mermaid 'campers' and sea pods.

I don't expect to ever see any of those themes, but I can wish.

One of the coolest sims I ever saw was a rental sim that had set the water level to maybe 100 or something way higher, and it was a giant 'hamster build' under water. With the rentals being rooms here and there. Bad idea for rentals - so the sim only lasted a month or so - but very neat concept. I'd love to see an extremely deep sea environment.

It will be hard to move back to Mainland.

Reasons I could do it:

1: Mainland 2.0

- With better landscaping and more protected land around the parcels. This stops a neighbor from putting up things on the edge of my plot. He can of course still use his plot as he wish, but there will be a buffer zone.

- Banlines not allowed and a limit on orbs, setting 10 or 15 seconds as minimum.

- Skyboxes under 1000 m not allowed.

- Splitting up parcels in small slices and abandon them not allowed. You buy, sell or abandon your parcels in the sizes they come in.

- Groups will get more LI when they purchase land, no need to buy land in odd sizes to get LI. This will get rid of all the slice and dice up land, and land in x, y, and z shapes.

This will keep Mainland 2.0 neat and tidy.

2: If nothing changes in Mainland, I could use derender and block ugliness as before if Mainland users get more land and LI than Bellisseria land holders. Let us say Super Premium get 2048 without paying land use fee, but only on Mainland. Of course this about Super Premium is pure speculation from me.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 5

A Victorian or Steampunk theme crossed my mind recently whilst looking at the developments in the SSP areas, as the new showings on the map and from 83X up the top doesn't look as though there are traditional roads (see my posts in the SSP thread for screenshots), so something perhaps more rural, but I was thinking about Patch mentioning a theme that's very much in keeping with trains in meet the Lindens this year...hence me thinking of Victorian. And the railroad from camper areas is being extended down into the new area on the SSP map... so it would fit nicely. 

I doubt it would be Steampunk thought as that's too niche, so a Victorian vibe might make sense. And if the shapes on the LH Dev regions are actually builds of the homes already released (campers and trads) and of those yet to come, it could fit in terms of size by looking at Patch's image (i.e. similar to traditionals) .

Well that's my theory lol. I kinda hope not though. It's not much variation on the traditionals really. I would like to see something different, in the same way as there was a variety of themes in the first gen homes. Unless of course there are going to be enough themes to provide a real variety when all the homes are finally finished.

The guessing game continues!:)

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

It will be hard to move back to Mainland.

Reasons I could do it:

1: Mainland 2.0

- Banlines not allowed and a limit on orbs, setting 10 or 15 seconds as minimum.

- Skyboxes under 1000 m not allowed.

- Groups will get more LI when they purchase land, no need to buy land in odd sizes to get LI. This will get rid of all the slice and dice up land, and land in x, y, and z shapes.

Yeah.

Groups do get more than, but maybe you mean even more than the 10% bonus.

My zoning rules would be similar but a little different:

I would say 'make banlines only work above 3500m'

and for orbs I would say '10-15 seconds if below 2500m. or behind a solid or locked object - such that you can bounce off the object and not get hit, and have to 'break in' to encounter the orb.

And then limited themed skyboxes above 500m, presentable from 1000-2500, any skybox above that.

3500m+: anything goes - I think a zone where orbs work at 0 seconds is a good idea. A zone of true privacy. This is an air space where you can expect to not be bothered.

2501-3500 - instant zapping of stalkers, but no banline markers. Can put a 'solid box' or wall around plot. Shops allowed.

1001-2500 - skyboxes, no banlines, and maybe a rule about 'keep it looking presentable from the outside', no 'walled boxes' - everything should look like it fits in the air. Like space stations, sky islands, etc. Stores allowed

0-500m - buildings either attached to ground and no more than 50m up from ground, or open air. Some sims are store / club free.

501-1000m - open air or a mesh 'sky island' that looks like a floating island or floating 'sky-pad'. No stores allowed.

I use 0 second banlines on mainland. I put them behind solid & opaque walls or behind locked doors. You have to teleport through the wall to get zapped. Personally I think that's reasonable.

I think it's good to be able to have a space where people who enter it get zapped so fast I don't even know they were there. As long as I make it so they have to purposefully do abnormal things to get in. You can go to my mainland home build and run all around it, bounce on the roof, and so on... and the door, won't even respond to touch. Bounce against it and it will tell you it's locked. TP inside and you get sent to my landing zone - which is a box in the sky and a long warning timer.

So... if you do figure out how to get inside that building... you get instant zapped out with no warning. Because it's not possible to end up in there by accident.

I take the opposite approach with my Bellisaria home. Open access doors and no orb rezzed.

Anyway... getting off topic here... If someone wants to make a 'Mainland 2.0 wishlist' thread I'm there, but I'll try to stay off this side-topic here. :P

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1589 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.