So I found this funny article complaining about Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The water in the game is not even real water. It is just a decal and you cannot swim AT ALL! This is inexcusable since games which were released years earlier allowed you to swim (for example Super Mario 64 and Half-Life).---its like:In SL you can t poop,but in Bobby Bob game you poop all the time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, SamMoon777 said:

The water in the game is not even real water. It is just a decal and you cannot swim AT ALL! This is inexcusable since games which were released years earlier allowed you to swim (for example Super Mario 64 and Half-Life).---its like:In SL you can t poop,but in Bobby Bob game you poop all the time.

That's odd. There are swim HUDs out there that people use for swimming in SL all the time and I've never seen real water in any game. Real water only exists in the real world. 

oops

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I pride myself on my Toxic credentials.

"Why it sucks....(14)" Its dangerously addictive.......

No S**t Sherlock  (as we say here)...... Really? And thats why it sucks???

I need to recalibrate my expectations.

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 2

It does remind me a bit about what the place was like as a first time total noob, though, and even the most die hard of us must admit that it can seem...perplexing at first.

I brought an RL friend in back when it was in the news a lot and I was starting to feel it out. He wasn't impressed but his comments were worth preserving. An edited paragraph (I've posted this before):

"What is this pixellated hellhole? Some twit here thinks he's Julius Caesar. What is wrong with these people? What's this Gor bollocks thing I'm seeing everywhere? You know every single one of these slaves is actually a hairy, 30 stone trucker called Derek, right? Even the ones who really are women. In fact, especially them. All right, I'll go to that place you suggest...I've just fallen through the floor. No, now I'm stuck on the wall. Yes my legs are walking but I've gone right through the wall and then pinged back in again. Oh ffs, send me somewhere else. Thank you. This is a mountain range. I can't walk up these things and I can't fly either. This place is awful. No, wait, the graphics are actually making me a little bit nostalgic for 1996. Amina, what is wrong with these avatars? Have any of these people ever actually seen a human being? They're like genetic experiments gone wrong. All the men are literally ten heads high and the women's legs are twice the length of their torsos. And arms like T-rexes. I've just fallen through the floor again. Is this actually the pinnacle of human progress today? I hope a meteorite wipes us all out. Oh sod this for a game of soldiers. I'm going down the pub."

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

16 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

It does remind me a bit about what the place was like as a first time total noob, though, and even the most die hard of us must admit that it can seem...perplexing at first.

I brought an RL friend in back when it was in the news a lot and I was starting to feel it out. He wasn't impressed but his comments were worth preserving. An edited paragraph (I've posted this before):

"What is this pixellated hellhole? Some twit here thinks he's Julius Caesar. What is wrong with these people? What's this Gor bollocks thing I'm seeing everywhere? You know every single one of these slaves is actually a hairy, 30 stone trucker called Derek, right? Even the ones who really are women. In fact, especially them. All right, I'll go to that place you suggest...I've just fallen through the floor. No, now I'm stuck on the wall. Yes my legs are walking but I've gone right through the wall and then pinged back in again. Oh ffs, send me somewhere else. Thank you. This is a mountain range. I can't walk up these things and I can't fly either. This place is awful. No, wait, the graphics are actually making me a little bit nostalgic for 1996. Amina, what is wrong with these avatars? Have any of these people ever actually seen a human being? They're like genetic experiments gone wrong. All the men are literally ten heads high and the women's legs are twice the length of their torsos. And arms like T-rexes. I've just fallen through the floor again. Is this actually the pinnacle of human progress today? I hope a meteorite wipes us all out. Oh sod this for a game of soldiers. I'm going down the pub."

That's a pretty good parody!  

I tried to bring someone here too once...a male...I was constantly saying "are you listening?"...I was trying to get him to just learn how to move...when I walked into the other room...he was watching football.   I was so mad at him.  

It was terrible...he wanted to get to the "you know"...I kept telling him "you need to know how to walk first".   It was hopeless.

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

That's a pretty good parody!  

I tried to bring someone here too once...a male...I was constantly saying "are you listening?"...I was trying to get him to just learn how to move...when I walked into the other room...he was watching football.   I was so mad at him.  lol

SL can be an incredible place, but it does take a while to learn the ropes and it's really not for everyone. 

The first ten items seem a bit more spot on than the ridiculous complaint about not being able to swim. 1 & 10 and 3 & 4 are the same complaint, but come on, is there anyone who has played SL for more than a few minutes in the last ten years who disagrees with: "Horrible optimization. The game lags even on modern PCs, most notably when there are a lot of effects on-screen. It also crashes at various points in the game for no reason. In fact, the optimization is worse than Garry's Mod."

6 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

SL can be an incredible place, but it does take a while to learn the ropes and it's really not for everyone. 

Yeah, I know.  Plus there are sports on all weekend in America and then errands, house cleaning, laundry, yard work, cooking dinner, taking care of pets, calling your Mom and Dad.  

If he couldn't give up sports for one hour...we were never going to have a Second Life together...cause there is just too much other stuff to do on the weekend that needs to get done.   

He was glued to the football even though he said he would like to go on SL with me.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mygoditsfullofstars said:

This made me laugh:

They just had to go there... lol.

To be fair he’s probably not wrong.

we’re all in the woodworks scurrying about, waiting for the population of noobs to vanish so we can reclaim the popular info hubs and social islands

you just wait /s

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

he wanted to get to the "you know"...I kept telling him "you need to know how to walk first".

Do you, though? Does it involve much walking these days?

The real challenge is matching the color of your attachments! Most can't do that. 

• Haha 3

A lot of the issues raised by the article are things that are complained about on these forums over and over again!  However the one about not being able to swim is obviously untrue and furries these days seem to be a minority in SL, at least in places where all types of residents mix freely.

I think the biggest problem SL has in relation to retaining residents is performance.  After 16 years, shouldn't we expect almost instant loading of scenes and avatars and hardly any lag or screen freezing?  I never forget how grateful we should all be for how Linden Lab made all this possible in the first place and how they've improved it a lot over the years.  Many of the performance problems in SL can be blamed on residents, including creators.  But LL have given us free rein.  Maybe my suggestion that landowners can set a maximum avatar complexity for visitors to their land would help.

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Conifer Dada said:

A lot of the issues raised by the article are things that are complained about on these forums over and over again!  However the one about not being able to swim is obviously untrue and furries these days seem to be a minority in SL, at least in places where all types of residents mix freely.

I think the biggest problem SL has in relation to retaining residents is performance.  After 16 years, shouldn't we expect almost instant loading of scenes and avatars and hardly any lag or screen freezing?  I never forget how grateful we should all be for how Linden Lab made all this possible in the first place and how they've improved it a lot over the years.  Many of the performance problems in SL can be blamed on residents, including creators.  But LL have given us free rein.  Maybe my suggestion that landowners can set a maximum avatar complexity for visitors to their land would help.

Yeah, Conifer...free reign...it's true!   Is it rein or reign?  Oh, not really important.

But, this thing with complexity.  I have gone from human Classic to Mesh Avatar with about 80,000 complexity on average...and had to have jelly dolls and could rarely enjoy the other avatars.

I became a Dinkie on September 6, 2019.  Since that time my Second Life has changed completely in regards to lag.

My Dinkie avatar runs about 25,000 in complexity now and I can rez most things and no more jelly dolls.

I think I was the cause of my computer's lag and none of you were....you all were part of it, but not the main part...I think it was myself that slowed my computer.  

It's peculiar and I'm not sure what to make of it?

I suggested that some of you experiencing lag get a low complexity mesh avatars (there are lots available under Complete Avatars) and go exploring and see how the world and others are rezzing when you are wearing a low complexity mesh avatar.  You can purchase a complete mesh avatar for a nickel or a dime BUT use it on your main account where you may have more items as some have suggested too big an inventory causes lag...so don't use an alt when trying it.

Edited by FairreLilette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.