10/27/2019 12:02 SLT: Trouble logging in?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Nope, not for a good 20 minutes...was working on a build and made the mistake of trying to relog because things were getting weird and laggy and, well, now I just have my face pressed on the glass. 

https://status.secondlifegrid.net/incidents/82f56mnkm8lt

"Investigating - Some Second Life services are currently experiencing an outage. During this time, some Second Life services may be unavailable including, but not limited to: logging in, and object rezzing. Please refrain from rezzing in-world, in addition to transacting in-world, on the Marketplace, or on the Lindex during this time.
Oct 27, 11:48 PDT"

Edited by Katarin Kiergarten
added status message
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Eric Castanea said:

I can't.

🤨

Oh, interesting. I'm trying to do so as we speak, and I can't get in either. And yes, just saw that grid status.

I wonder if this is connected with what happened a couple of days ago?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Katarin Kiergarten said:

I wondered that, too. Both the new one and that one flipped to yellow at the same time about half an hour ago when the new one was posted. The 10/25 one was black before that.

Concurrency is dropping, as one might expect, but only quite slowly, so it would seem that people aren't actually being booted off the grid.

It's very annoying, really. I hate what I was wearing when I logged off, and it's distressing me no end that I can't change into something that looks decent.

🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Concurrency is dropping, as one might expect, but only quite slowly, so it would seem that people aren't actually being booted off the grid.

It's very annoying, really. I hate what I was wearing when I logged off, and it's distressing me no end that I can't change into something that looks decent.

🙂

Yeah, I wasn't booted, but it was about to become impossible to rez anything and that was the only thing I needed to do just then. 

Also had to leave the build in a weird state unsupervised. At least I was dressed as I intended. 🙂

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Eric Castanea said:

I can't.

🤨

"Despite our best efforts..." says the message.

And friends and tenants ask me, "Why?"

For a time, the word on the grid was "Because they are moving to the cloud." But they weren't moving to the cloud.

My own speculation rests on all this tinkering with the sky. My SL sky looks like it's on an LSD trip much of the time and I haven't changed any settings. Tinker with the sky, says the gods of the Internet, and a messed-up ground and inventory are sure to follow.

Thoughts?

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

People must be giving up or trying that fruitless relog pretty quickly, though: In-world is 33,088 right now. It was around 42,000 an hour ago. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

For a time, the word on the grid was "Because they are moving to the cloud." But they weren't moving to the cloud.

My own speculation rests on all this tinkering with the sky. My SL sky looks like it's on an LSD trip much of the time and I haven't changed any settings. Tinker with the sky, says the gods of the Internet, and a messed-up ground and inventory are sure to follow.

Thoughts?

I think you may be over-complicating this. Katarin's point, that the notification from Friday flipped over to yellow again (assuming it was marked as resolved before -- I didn't notice) would seem to suggest that this is related to the inventory issues they were having then.

Which is not to say that I don't wish that they wouldn't hurry up and fix EEP. It's annoying that the night sky is still kind of borked.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Which is not to say that I don't wish that they wouldn't hurry up and fix EEP. It's annoying that the night sky is still kind of borked.

Not even gonna get started about EEP. But we have no reason to think it's connected to this, no, until someone with firsthand knowledge shows up to say so.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Thoughts?

Yeah.  Don't overthink this. "Unscheduled maintenance" just means "something broke."  It could be something as deadly as a DDOS attack -- pretty common in the Bay area -- or as simple as the janitor tripped over a cable someplace in the basement.  Anyone who has been in SL for a few years can tell you that things used to break a lot more than they do now, but well.... it happens.  Sadly, it seems to happen on weekends when most people have more leisure time to log in and while a lot of Lindens have days off to be with friends and family.  I think Murphy had something wise to say about that.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Yeah.  Don't overthink this. "Unscheduled maintenance" just means "something broke."  It could be something as deadly as a DDOS attack -- pretty common in the Bay area -- or as simple as the janitor tripped over a cable someplace in the basement.  Anyone who has been in SL for a few years can tell you that things used to break a lot more than they do now, but well.... it happens.  Sadly, it seems to happen on weekends when most people have more leisure time to log in and while a lot of Lindens have days off to be with friends and family.  I think Murphy had something wise to say about that.

At one of my jobs we used to say that Dyadya Vanya had unplugged the computer in order to run the vacuum cleaner.

It's not just on weekends. And it's way more often. And it's inventory. And so this is related either to the cloud or some other handling device that they changed. And as you know, changing one thing can have unintended consequences. My firm belief is that the sky-tinkering is having unintended consequences.

I don't believe it's a DDoS attack, although of course those happen and happen more in Silicon Valley for obvious reasons but it's been awhile since SL has had those kind of concerted attacks by griefers or competitors described as griefers. It's either the cloud, or the sky. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

They are linked. Linked in a cosmic way you may not fathom.

That's just mystical mumbo-jumbo and nonsense. Surely you can find a more rational explanation?

As for me, I'm pretty sure it's the Deep State at work.

Again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

For those playing along, for whatever reason, now today's status is orange instead of yellow. I guess that means they're frowning harder, or they know we are. /facetious

More seriously, it appears to correspond to the "partial outage" status described here (though "degraded performance" is the most serious status listed for any single component from SL's main status page, which is a yellow status), though the company doesn't explain the colors themselves explicitly: 

https://www.statuspage.io/features/core

Edited by Katarin Kiergarten
punctuation
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.