Mesh Head vs. System

Ajay McDowwll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

possibly those are only available inworld

Not Found has nothing available on Marketplace. 'l Etre has some on Marketplace, but nothing that would work for him.

He likes his SL hair to look like his RL hair, which is to say essentially a flattop or a buzz cut... but only a specific kind.

He'll work it out :)

If he likes a flat-top, that will usually be in two parts; a textured hairbase and a mesh top. The mesh top part is transferable; he can wear that with his mesh head just as easily as he can on his system head, with no adjustments.

For the textured hairbase, he has two options;  One is to go Bakes on Mesh, and keep the same one. The other is to find a substitute. He could either buy a separate hairbase pack, OR he could buy another hairstyle which includes a hairbase he likes (even if he doesn't care for the mesh part of it). As long as the package includes Catwa appliers (which most do, these days). It doesn't matter if the substitute is modify or not; it can always be tinted darker using the Catwa head hud, if necessary. So if his hair is any colour other than black, he should wear a base of a slightly lighter shade, and then tint it.

Stealthic, Modulus and Action are a few stores with lots of these styles.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

If he likes a flat-top, that will usually be in two parts; a textured hairbase and a mesh top. The mesh top part is transferable; he can wear that with his mesh head just as easily as he can on his system head, with no adjustments.

For the textured hairbase, he has two options;  One is to go Bakes on Mesh, and keep the same one. The other is to find a substitute. He could either buy a separate hairbase pack, OR he could buy another hairstyle which includes a hairbase he likes (even if he doesn't care for the mesh part of it). As long as the package includes Catwa appliers (which most do, these days). It doesn't matter if the substitute is modify or not; it can always be tinted darker using the Catwa head hud, if necessary. So if his hair is any colour other than black, he should wear a base of a slightly lighter shade, and then tint it.

Stealthic, Modulus and Action are a few stores with lots of these styles.

Thank you for the ideas -- I really do appreciate it :)  I'll drag him out shopping tonight, once he recovers from the fact that I planted two coniferous forests on our property.

That poor man.  The prim allowance dwindles daily.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CandyCole said:

Why someone spends forever trying to make a mesh head look like their old system head is beyond me.

For me, it's because the general shape and features are akin to my RL version (albeit idealized and stylized), and that was something I wanted to retain.  It's part of my virtual identity; it's not something I wanted to abandon even though I was upgrading to mesh.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CandyCole said:

Why someone spends forever trying to make a mesh head look like their old system head is beyond me.

A mesh head is more refined and has more polygons. While this can mean that it contributes to render lag, it also means that the mesh head looks better quality, even if you manage to achieve the same features.

Whether that increase in quality is worth the cost of the head, is up to the user. For me, it is, but that won't be the case for everyone.

Edited by Matty Luminos
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, CandyCole said:

No need to justify yourselves.

My post was neither a question nor a showing of interest, rather a statement of ambivalence. 

Exactly, which is why I specified why I, specifically, did it, since you made your comment on a thread I created on that exact topic which requested assistance regarding the very matter upon which you just stated you care so very little.

I will confess, I'm a bit baffled why you even felt the need to say anything.  I don't care what other people do with their avatars; it's their choice.  If they do something I don't care about, I just move on.  You felt the need to comment on this particular thread, so I responded with my specific reasons.  No judgment, just my rationale.

Edited by Ajay McDowwll
Grammar.

15 hours ago, CandyCole said:

That is the difference in people. I've noticed some people are constantly making new looks for their avatar. Others create an identity of which the appearance is a part. Changing the appearance changes the identity. So, for some it is a thing not to be changed.

I spent a long time tweaking on my shape and face, over years. So, getting one I liked well I didn't want to change to a face unrecognizable as me.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CandyCole said:

Some people have lived with their system head looks for so long they don't want to look too alien to what they have been used to for years. Certainly when i was looking in to mesh heads the one i chose to buy was the most "me" 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

Some people have lived with their system head looks for so long they don't want to look too alien to what they have been used to for years.

We all change our appearance over time.

Consider it as SL's way of ageing. Perhaps a useful concept to adopt for those who struggle to differentiate between their SL and RL selves.

10 hours ago, CandyCole said:

No need to justify yourselves.

My post was neither a question nor a showing of interest, rather a statement of ambivalence. 

You asked why anyone would, on a public forum. I answered why I did, because I presumed you were interested in the motivations that people might have. I tend to make that assumption, you see, when people make posts on public forums. That's what forums are for.

In any case, even if you are not interested, plenty of other people here are interested. My response isn't just for you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CandyCole said:

We all change our appearance over time.

Consider it as SL's way of ageing. Perhaps a useful concept to adopt for those who struggle to differentiate between their SL and RL selves.

I don't really bother to differentiate between my SL and RL.  They're both part of my life, just different venues.  My husband in SL is my husband in RL.  I have ridiculous numbers of pets in both SL and RL (although in RL I can't literally stack dogs like cordwood).  I have grey hair in SL and RL. This is just how I "do" SL.  No struggle involved.

Everyone uses SL differently.  This is my variant; others' mileage varies.

Edited by Ajay McDowwll

2 hours ago, CandyCole said:

Perhaps a useful concept to adopt for those who struggle to differentiate between their SL and RL selves.

People design their avatars in all sorts of ways.

Some people choose then to be as close to their RL selves as possible.

Some people choose them to be different.

Some people choose to keep them the same all the time.

Some people choose to change them slowly over time.

Some people change them frequently and drastically.

Some people choose things about their avatars that I haven't even thought of.

None of these decisions imply anything about whether they are "struggling" with the differentiation between SL and RL.

If you want to make veiled attacks on me, I do not care. But I do care if you make veiled attacks on other people here, and I will call you out on it.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.