I do not think i could eat this ,could you ?

roseelvira

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

I think I'd pass, too, Rose. 

I don't like the scary side of Halloween.  I'm with a friend who says Hallowen can be just as much fun "cute" and PG.   And, I said, even more so.

But to each their own.

I love spiders.  I feel sorry for the poor creature... if it were real!  Of course I would eat the -- whatever it is, as long as it tastes good.  The thing in the body looks a bit like blood... which i can't imagine eating raw, but I assume it's tomatoey something and that definitely is edible.  I'm not into eating things that are wriggling, but i will eat most cooked food... at least once. 

When I was little, I used to have a hard time eating chocolate Bunnies b/c they were shaped like cute life creatures... I no longer eat chocolate, so it's not an issue anymore.  Things that look like creatures I like are the hardest for me to consider eating, tbh.  I don't think i could eat anything pet shaped, no matter what food it actually was.

• Like 1

I'd devour it, Rose.

I've told this story many times before... when I was young, my father would sometimes find a spider (dead or alive) in the kitchen and drop it into the pot of chili he was cooking. I was raised in this environment and thought that was completely normal. It wasn't until my friends learned of our tradition that I discovered nobody else seems to do this.

Oh, this is grand. I just Googled "FDA bugs in food" which takes me to this...

https://www.fatherly.com/health-science/fda-data-food-contamination-family/

Better yet, there's an error in the article that's just perfect...

The Food and Drug Administration maintains a handbook for the sole purpose of listing the minimum amount of mouse poop, insect fragments, human hairs, and corrosive rot allowed in your food.

...swoons.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Wasps.....*shudders*......I hate wasps........we sometimes get one or two wintering in the attic. This means certain death if found. Although I feel a pang of guilt killing one without a fight.

Aerosol lacquer brings one down in flight, if there's nothing around which might not benefit from the fall out spray.

I tolerate spiders for all the previously posted reasons. In fact I like the way when they walk across my hand I don't feel them. They are so light and delicate.

I got bitten once, but in the UK we don't have nasties. I was bitten by a cat once which was way worse. Thankfully here we don't have much feral yard life.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Something like this for me...second one is Frankenstein.

so cute and looks yummy 

Sorry  to hear about your sister  some spiders pack a punch. I just never liked them, I do not kill them just try to guide them out the door  ...

I agree  Halloween is not the same . In my neck of the woods christian/catholic/orthodox/ we all kept sacred All Saints day.  The Little one were allowed with parents to go to a few neighbors to get treats but not the way it is today. 

We were focused on Christmas ,,,, now that was the huge event!!!!

Some of  the  churches would host on the saturday a little party for the kids where they could wear their costumes and get candy and have games . 

Most of the  holidays today be it halloween , Christmas   etc  have lost that special feeling due to the over advertising and super early being christmas lights buy buy buy . July and they are having   Christmas stuff on the store shelves. 

In grocery store and halloween candy  only a few bags but a ton of christmas candy so i will be giving out candy canes.

It is sad how the marketing  dep of companies and ad companies   said this is how to do it .

If they gave it a breather and let there be a time inbetween. they would probably sell more. 

11 hours ago, Tari Landar said:

(minus daddy long legs) 

Same here.  Not afraid of them ( daddy long legs) and never considered them a spider. My dad said they were a bug with  mosqueto legs   and they need to be all around the farm and in the  basement ... We use to name them .

9 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Oh, this is grand. I just Googled "FDA bugs in food" which takes me to this...

https://www.fatherly.com/health-science/fda-data-food-contamination-family/

Better yet, there's an error in the article that's just perfect...

The Food and Drug Administration maintains a handbook for the sole purpose of listing the minimum amount of mouse poop, insect fragments, human hairs, and corrosive rot allowed in your food.

BARFING ,,

Sadly with all the smaller family owned farm being bought up out of business due  the big commercial giants. You could sign a deal with a company and sell your  harvest to them  / but ....  do not get me started ,,,,, 

The milk from the dairy cows   have milk room to prepair to be taken to the plant that is different ,All kids should know how and where there food comes from ,

Or when a developer buys a neighbors farm saying they need homes  which is another false hood   and sooner or later there will be no land for farming only the commercially owned and you cannot eat sheet rock

not the richest who will own the world but  who controls the food and water . 

the big mcmansions are pretty but  how many acres of farmland  have we lost 

Just sad

Edited by roseelvira

3 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

If you don't like food that looks gross/scary, do not google for Thorax Cake. It's an old thing, goes back a long way so most of you have probably seen it before. 

I don't think I would be allowed to post pics of it here. 

Well I did. Some were pretty gross looking but I liked where it led me. Some absolutely wonderful (and some cute) octopus cakes. This one weighed 200 pounds!

octopuscake.jpg

Anyone for baked snail?

breadsnail.0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I hate wasps to death. Last summer I/we left it late to de-nest about the place so I had the job of annihilating them. (mum too old & siss too busy *cough cough).
SO: 3 cardigans, 3 pair of track suit pants, 2 balaclavas, 1 open face helmet, 1 pair of motorcycle gloves, clear safety goggles and a can of long distance death spray, wait until dark and in I went.
Lucky I was rugged up because at least 5 rampaged through the fog of death and tried to sting me through the clothes.

Three took me by surprise before this so it was WW3 as far as I was concerned 😛

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

I hate wasps to death. Last summer I/we left it late to de-nest about the place so I had the job of annihilating them. (mum too old & siss too busy *cough cough).
SO: 3 cardigans, 3 pair of track suit pants, 2 balaclavas, 1 open face helmet, 1 pair of motorcycle gloves, clear safety goggles and a can of long distance death spray, wait until dark and in I went.
Lucky I was rugged up because at least 5 rampaged through the fog of death and tried to sting me through the clothes.

Three took me by surprise before this so it was WW3 as far as I was concerned 😛

Last summer I shot down 2 nests on the rear of my bar. The one that snuck in through the screen alerted me to the nest. After he ate the gnat, I said thank you and squished him and a proper burial at sea aka the loo! Also had one buzzed a patron that wore super heavy perfume.

Edited by Kimmi Zehetbauer
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of my first jobs was on a dairy farm gardening, weed killing & painting things. (and hugging new born calves lol), The farm manager said that bees attack a certain sort of tractor?! The noise of the engine exhaust makes bees really mad or something? o.0 I didn't get a ride on any tractors after that! 😬

• Like 1

I can handle spiders. Now if it had looked like a snake well that's the horse of another color. The waiter/waitress would have ended up wearing the plate. lol I'm just saying. I don't do snakes. It's safe to say I have a healthy Indiana Jones style fear of snakes. In fact we'll just call it the rope from here on out. lol :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

I hate wasps to death. Last summer I/we left it late to de-nest about the place so I had the job of annihilating them.

I climbed a tree straight into a wasp nest when I was little. Fell down screaming as they stung maybe twenty times. It's strange that I never developed any fear or hate for wasps. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.