What are the hardest things about Second Life for new players?

LuxuriousSin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1573 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I first joined SL in 2004, no one helped me. I had to learn it all on my own, yet, I'm still here.

Patience is a virtue that is hard to come by. Something people half my age (and younger) don't seem to have much of these days.They're looking for instant gratification, which pretty much does not exist in SL. 

Being in SL takes the 5 P's: Patience, Persistence, Perseverance, Passion, and Purpose. The first 3 being the most important. If a resident doesn't possess those, nothing LL does will increase retention.

• Like 6

The forums are a significant resource for help and advice. Without a doubt coming here made a huge difference to the pace at which I progressed, although I was fortunate in finding in world mentors at the same time.

But most new people are unaware of the forums or just dont regard them as being of any value. That's just the way it is.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2019 at 12:40 PM, LuxuriousSin said:

Hey! I wanted to ask the community what you think is the hardest thing for new (and older) players about second life!

I think SL can have a difficult learning curve for new players, so I am interested to see what everyone thinks!

The fact that the edit box on anything you are trying to edit opens OVER the object you are trying to edit, so you can't see it, and have to push it away. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Inventory management is tedious. 

Looking for things under search.  Not the act itself but you get locations that no longer are there or are something completely different now than what they used to be because nothing is ever weeded out or updated if it changes ownership.   This makes things hard to find for new (and old) players.

Editing prims (from way back before mesh).

Getting things to fit properly. 

But overall I would say finding a niche here is the most difficult.  It's fine if you have some creative ability or talent that you can market.  If you don't though it's hard to find things to really do here.  It makes it boring, and then SL just becomes a chat room or just limited to shopping (if you have the Lindens).   

On 10/25/2019 at 3:26 PM, FairreLilette said:

Ten days is a little early to be on a nude beach...did you even have 'adult verification'?  I am just curious about that.  But, no, I do not hate newbies nor do a lot of other people on SL...many volunteer in Firestorm Support Groups, Building Groups, and volunteer on newbie areas as well as on the forum to help.

I agree.  Just new on the grid and already seeking out the nude places lol

When I was 10 days old I was still trying to figure out avatar appearance. 

• 3 weeks later...

I love SL but I would hate being a complete newbie today with how complicated and potentially expensive it is to put together a decent looking avatar.

Even after an absence of only a couple of years I still had to rely upon a friend to help me figure out all the new stuff with appliers and bento heads. And it's not cheap either. You used to be able to put together what was considered a good looking avatar for less than $20. Now that's the price of a head alone! Then you need mesh body, skin, hair, AO ($40?).

Of course I realise you can still pick up stuff cheaply via marketplace, freebies, group gifts, discounts, sales, events, hunts, and that is definitely part of the fun! And don't get me wrong, working on, putting together and dressing up my avatar is one of my favourite things to do in SL! I just wish it wasn't so pricey, complicated and inaccessible for newbies. :( 

PS - I realise not everyone who comes onto SL cares that much about how they look, but I still think it's an issue that this isn't made easier for new residents. 

Edited by MayaSmit
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure that I would agree that SL is a "bargain", but I agree that SL is not necessarily expensive.  Or at least, looking at it another way, SL is no more expensive than you want it to be. Certainly, you can spend lots of money on land, clothing, mesh objects, and various entertainments, but you can also choose not to spend it.  Most of us are supporting our SL indulgences with discretionary money, the same way that we would pay to go to a movie, buy a new hat, or go to Disney World.  Put your own word on it, but this is a "vacation," "hobby", "recreation", "getaway" that we can enjoy because we have set aside money that we don't need for meeting basic responsibilities in RL and are committing it instead to be kind to ourselves.  Our vacation here can be as lavish or as frugal as we choose, as long as we stay within budget.  As John Lennon almost said, "[Second] Life is what happens when you're not too busy doing other things."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1573 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.