What do you love/hate in pg furniture animations & menus?

Eidolon Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Thanks for this, going to make things a lot easier :D

On 10/25/2019 at 2:54 AM, Cinos Field said:

I really dislike it when furniture adjusts my camera angle. Almost universally, the camera will go into a wall or something because my home has a different layout.

I like it when the helper function of avsitter is left enabled, because being a smaller avatar, I have to adjust all the poses to fit me anyway, and the regular adjust menu is way too slow

The camera angle you're describing is not the furniture, it's the way the viewer works: your camera stays behind you. You *want* the furniture to adjust your camera so it stays in front of you in some fashion rather than putting it behind the wall that sofa is against, outside your house staring at the siding.

On 10/25/2019 at 2:40 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

That's why you just trigger them and let the individual head maker answer the callout.

And if it goes badly because the head is not compatible, you get the angry response because it's *your* creation that's doing it? No thanks. I am anexpert AVsitter creator and I refuse to do faces for this very reason. Never had a complaint that the faces are not animated. As for Bento animations? Only where they make sense, otherwise they don;t exist or too costly and near impossible to find similar animations compared to the 16 years worth of variety already created. Just saying.

2 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

I'm sure there are more singles using furniture than creators realise, even couples will use their furniture as singles, it feels like a neglected area.

This is a really good point, though very good singles animations are a bit farther between and harder to find, but still a really great point. One thing to consider is that sex sells, so the more there is the more sellable the item is because people want large counts, even though they'll likely never used the majority of them. And notecards have a memory limit and so do the scripts. I create some AVsitter items that are so packed they take literally 15 minutes to read and load the notecard. But that system has more features and better built than over-priced Dutchie (yes, really.) :D

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

How about realistic transitions instead of having your avi go from the bed, to the floor,or to some random unrelated pose whenever you click the next animation. Nothing is more annoying then to be cuddling on a bed and want to shift into something heated and the very next pose take you to the floor or something. My other biggest gripe is when really great animators decide to throw in some seriously goofy sex positions into what could have been an top notch piece of furniture. I literally taught myself how to tear apart a script just to remove them because when a guest uses the menu and accidentally chooses it thinking its steamy it just totally ruins the mood. Mocap is your friend. Please keep it realistic and don't turn us into floppy dead dolls.

• Like 1

Face animations aren't a "built in" thing, at least not in a standardized way where the heads listen to some kind of communications. Usually they're individual animations played by the furniture (or whatever HUD you use to animate your face). So if a furniture maker puts them in they're going to look good on one brand but not the other. Catwa animations for example, look absolutely dreadful on Slink heads.

I buy PG furniture for my home because I'm a kid avi and have an SL family. I find a lot of 'PG' furniture still isn't really appropriate for kids even if the more adult stuff is removed. 

If you want to see PG furniture done correctly then have a look at AR Status. They have furniture which can sit up to four people (2 adults and 2 kids, with poses and animations where you can sit and watch TV together, or do daft things like have pillow fights, play patty cake etc. Basically fun things a real family would do together. 

791d7ed1902ded1c314b3ac68f8e0f22.jpg

On 10/24/2019 at 7:48 PM, Eidolon Aeon said:

I'm looking for input about what you love or what drives you nuts about how pg furniture is animated. Anything is welcome, and I'd specifically be interested in things like camera angles, props, his/hers vs. unisex, couples anims, adjustments, menus, etc.

The one pose I hate on any furniture is this one where the male especially gets really down low on the couch and looks glum and furtive -- and this is sometimes combined with an actual smoking animation. It's the Russian gopnik pose (hoodlums). If I wanted to play Russian gopnik, I would buy a couch called the Russian gopnik couch, and yes, there are some in SL. But I don't want every couch to be doing that.

The other thing I hate is "cuddle" on PG furniture merely because most of where I am placing furniture is in public places, hangouts, forests, cafes, etc. It's fine for a private home to have either "cuddle" on PG and of course adult, and I place a lot of those, too. But I think people who are coming to a public meeting and a public place don't want "cuddle" as an option.  I wonder how a couple can even fit on some of these narrow chairs in which "cuddle" has been placed. So far, the only solution I have for this problem is to gut the furniture and put in my own animations with Sit Target Helper II which is a godsend and works great. BUT sometimes constructions have that message "there aren't enough prims for all the avatars to sit". Then it's a massive mess-up I have to leave alone.

I just think two levels of the menu have to be made (ideally), one in which male and female sits for singles are the first cut, with no "swap" requirement (another annoyance) and then click further on the screen and "cuddle" becomes an option.

I agree with Raspberry Crystal that there are more singles using furniture than creators realize. And that's not only because there is a LOT of hanging out in groups in public or semi-public places, and because if you go on a date, to a hangout or even to your own house, you don't want to "open with" a cuddle, you want to work into it. I think the reason B&Bs work in my rentals is that people have a place to go initially to hang out where a bed or adult anims are not looming in the corner scaring off the acquaintance, but they are in a normal living room or dining room where they can sit and interact sociably and opt to a retire to a skybox if the situation warrants it.

• Like 2

I'm sure that it's been said somewhere, but I'm not quite awake enough yet to have cognitively read every post.

Please, furniture creators, quit using ancient animations and charging a premium for your furniture.

Getting a nice looking couch, sitting on it and having my hip twist inside my body is not what I like to see after I spent a mint. And if it's no mod? I'm not buying anything of that product, ever again. If I have to rebuild the animations myself out of stuff that I already have, (Thanks AVSitter!) I better not be paying premium for a prop I put together myself.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

And if it goes badly because the head is not compatible, you get the angry response because it's *your* creation that's doing it?

That's not how it works and not what I described.

7 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

So if a furniture maker puts them in they're going to look good on one brand but not the other. Catwa animations for example, look absolutely dreadful on Slink heads.

That's STILL not how it works and STILL not what I described.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

4 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The other thing I hate is "cuddle" on PG furniture merely because most of where I am placing furniture is in public places, hangouts, forests, cafes, etc. It's fine for a private home to have either "cuddle" on PG and of course adult, and I place a lot of those, too. But I think people who are coming to a public meeting and a public place don't want "cuddle" as an option.  I wonder how a couple can even fit on some of these narrow chairs in which "cuddle" has been placed. So far, the only solution I have for this problem is to gut the furniture and put in my own animations with Sit Target Helper II which is a godsend and works great. BUT sometimes constructions have that message "there aren't enough prims for all the avatars to sit". 

I have chairs AND pillows with drinking animations in them.   The pillow is what contains the avatar animations.  I made these avatar animation pillows so people could have drinking animations in any chair of their choice by simply placing the pillow into any chair.  

I know it's an extra prim, but animated pillows could be a possible solution for you.  I do not do anything PG or adult as my items are geared towards the alt market - those who need time to be alone or to just perhaps have a cup of coffee/tea/wine with a friend and sit and chat.  

I make single sit avatar items only and use this system:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Full-Perm-Single-Sit-Multi-Animations-System-Script-Builders-Kit/2280422  

I don't know if it would work for you better than Sit Target though....?

Edited by FairreLilette

7 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I have chairs AND pillows with drinking animations in them.   The pillow is what contains the avatar animations.  I made these avatar animation pillows so people could have drinking animations in any chair of their choice by simply placing the pillow into any chair.  

I know it's an extra prim, but animated pillows could be a possible solution for you.  I do not do anything PG or adult as my items are geared towards the alt market - those who need time to be alone or to just perhaps have a cup of coffee/tea/wine with a friend and sit and chat.  

I make single sit avatar items only and use this system:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Full-Perm-Single-Sit-Multi-Animations-System-Script-Builders-Kit/2280422  

I don't know if it would work for you better than Sit Target though....?

That sounds like a great idea, I'll look into it. I sometimes put the animations in the pillows, too, so I can have different ones on a couch.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

It was a rhetorical question. I still have never heard a complaint from anyone to any creator that did not include face animations in their furniture. So that extra work (and it is a lot of work) is not what I'm willing to go through because it is barely a selling point; just another bullet in the list. Though you stated that it is among your favorite features (I get it,) you also did not say a lack of that feature is a sales deal-breaker. :)

On 10/27/2019 at 11:42 PM, Pussycat Catnap said:

That's STILL not how it works and STILL not what I described.

I'm sorry, but I've never seen a piece of furniture or any facial animation thing that works the way you described. :(

3 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

I'm sorry, but I've never seen a piece of furniture or any facial animation thing that works the way you described. :(

Put on an LAQ head, go sit on some furniture that has AVSitter faces set up. Done.

It will play LAQ animations, because you have an LAQ head on. It will play them according to the 'internal animations' the AVSitter system calls - matching them across to LAQ animations designed for the purpose.

This stuff is all over SL. It's super easy to use...

I've given you all 4 choices of HUDs or heads to try it with - one of which is even free. WTF is the problem?

WTF is this mental hangup where you all think that when I wear a Catwa head it's going to play LAQ animations? Or a LAQ head will play Catwa animations? Or it will play the 'internal animations'? No... it will play the animations in your HUD or built into the head itself...

Instead of sitting around in denial, try the stuff.

And exactly how the heck could it even manage to play animations it doesn't have and you don't have in the head you wear at a given moment?

Like... WTF

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

I'm totally out of touch enough not to know about it, even if half the grid is wearing these scripts.

I'm also not sure if that should be a worry, performance-wise. I've written attached scripts that update a few times a second. Not animations, usually no list intersections, so very low script time... so maybe these are okay too. 

But why didn't the heads come with this built-in as a toggleable option, along with all the "moods" and stuff? (Or maybe some do? Maybe I should fish that new Slink demo out of the Trash?)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.