lots of abanded land on clearbrook

monkstripes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ugh, I just remembered one of the reasons I believe Mainland need to be redone to Mainland 2.0 with some rules. I teleported there and was flying up and around to take a look, and was immediately sent home by an orb with zero seconds warning.

Ironic that the text is "You shouldn't be here, please leave" when you are already sent home. Who are you kidding, it is no "please" here. It would be more fitting to say "Muahahahah!"

Bellisseria has spoiled me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 10/25/2019 at 3:43 AM, Marianne Little said:

Ironic that the text is "You shouldn't be here, please leave" when you are already sent home. Who are you kidding, it is no "please" here. It would be more fitting to say "Muahahahah!"

Orbs that send you home without a nanosecond of notice are rude. The text should read "I'm a sad, angry douche"

• Like 4

A reminder especially to the oldbies in this thread that a group of us appealed to Philip Linden at the dawn of time and asked him to DEPRECATE the teleport home orb script. 

After hearing how aggressive orbs ruined exploration, travel on waterways, travel even near Linden Land he eventually said he would do so.

The Lindens come from gamerz' culture, and therefore the early ones delighted in the idea of teleporting people home when they "died" or were "wounded in battle," i.e. had the temerity to try to sail past somebody's house on Linden water.

But Philip actually wasn't a gamer; he was an engineer and a visionary, and he saw the point. So he said he would deprecate -- i.e. retire from, and not allow in Second Life, the bounce script.

Next, several die-hard gamer and open-source Lindens came forward and screamed about Philip's pledge. They said this "couldn't" happen. Because...because...it would harm the possibility of having...elevators in Second Life. (They didn't try to tackle the issue on libertarian grounds then, because they knew public sentiment was really against this constant bouncing and TPing home stuff).

At that time there were....eight elevators in SL.

None of them were used.

OK maybe there was that one guy who came on a sim with a gigantic tower and took that slow creaking thing to experience elevator-ness. But it really was not used.

Then another thing happen. The company that had the biggest market share and made the most money from orbs and which sponsored a very vocal third party forum site of oldbies said this could not stand, they had to be allowed to have the creativity of elevators in SL (although we can fly, of course) and that PS people should have their privacy.

That you could use ban lines to have privacy wasn't enough of a solution because ban lines tap out after X meters and a skybox then can't make use of them. That was actually merciful because then even if you were banned, or there was access only, you could at least fly over the problem to...for example...get back to YOUR OWN LAND on a sim where all your neighbours had these infernal devices.

Over time, there was a concept that developed of "OK, have orbs, but don't have them TP you home". Just have them bounce away -- gently. Or better yet, require that they must have a 10 second warning.

So the more civic-minded orb manufacturers, seeing how public sentiment was going, even if not Linden law, began to add these features: choose how many seconds of warning to give, starting at 10; choose whether to bounce or TP home. And then owners and rentals agents could have a policy: you can't TP home. You have to give warning. (As I and others do).

Fast forward in time, and the Lindens, who finally have a world they can put their governance philosophies to test in, because they've a) overcome the wild sectarian and hedonistic impulses of their early technocommunist/technolibertarians; b) need to sell more premium accounts and c) made zoned sims in Bellisseria that people actually wanted to live in have developed the Linden-approved orb, which doesn't TP home, and which gives warning.

They could have also made this a TOS law or even just a strongly-advised norm -- which they are capable of doing. They do have the "any reason or no reason" clause they can always fall back on.

But they haven't chosen to do so.

It's not about paying your tier to have the freedom to enter. That's extreme libertarianism that only creates oppression for others even if hedonistic freedom for you. It's not a recipe for a liberal democratic society but the set-up of fascism or communism or terrorism. 

It's possible to be a good neighbour, set your orb to 10 seconds, not TP home. it's also possible to put "access only" but leave easements on the edge of your land if you are near a road or water -- or anywhere, for that matter.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.