Who gets the group joining Lindens?

autonug

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1640 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone, I hope its not wrong place to ask this question. 

I made a group just to learn how to create, put a cost to join the group. I made my ALT join it by paying the Lindens but I didn't get any. I was wondering where does the money we put in joining a group goes ?  

thank you in advance.

You can find out who has that ability by going into the group info window, Members and Roles tab.  Select a role and read its abilities.   The one you want is near the bottom of the list under the "Accounting" section.

If your group role has that ability checked, it is both good and bad.  Yes, you will receive a share of money the group takes in through group joining fees and the sale of group-owned land.  But you will also be charged a share of group expenses, if they pay for showing group land in search.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

A note about those liabilities. I have seen groups use that to slowly drain out the accounts of people in them to pay for things.

You make a group, like a customer service group, and then you use it to pay for event or classifications listings after setting the payments/liabilities to all general members and the owner, and making the owner an account you have that has a balance of $0... putting a main account, if needed, into a third role that doesn't do payments...

- All your members buy all your ads for you.

Useful to check what groups you have yourself in now and again, and make sure none of them are set to have you pay for things. In past years I've found an alt I'd left alone for a while had a negative balance from that. -1, I think it stops there.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Thanks 1

@Pussycat Catnap,

It is true that lots of groups share those expenses among their members.  It's usually not because of evil intent, though.  This ability is enabled for all group roles by default, and a lot of group owners never change it simply because they don't know it's there.  Your advice to check all your groups is excellent!

(The converse is true, too...many group owners have sold the land their group held, and were then horrified to see that the proceeds were distributed to all their members!)

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

(The converse is true, too...many group owners have sold the land their group held, and were then horrified to see that the proceeds were distributed to all their members!)

That's one reason why the group I hold land on is NEVER one I use for any kind of membership. Always just me and some of the alts I trust more... :P

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

some of the alts I trust more... :P

we gotta watch them alts

my parcel group sharing alt is super sneaky and untrustworthy. Sneaks in when I am not logged on and messes about with the terrain and parcel settings, moves stuff around, rezzes their own stuff using up my LI allowance, which they make zero contribution too

blinking heck! Annd has the cheek to make begging eyes at me wanting money as well to buy stuff that I don't even like myself, the little cow!

😺

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mollymews said:

we gotta watch them alts

my parcel group sharing alt is super sneaky and untrustworthy. Sneaks in when I am not logged on and messes about with the terrain and parcel settings, moves stuff around, rezzes their own stuff using up my LI allowance, which they make zero contribution too

blinking heck! Annd has the cheek to make begging eyes at me wanting money as well to buy stuff that I don't even like myself, the little cow!

😺

Just the other day one of my alts logged me out of the MP and logged herself in.  I don't even remember why - and apparently she forgot to log out.

Thus today, she got a new pair of shoes that Lil was trying to buy.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1640 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.