Developing in general

llAcidicll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1640 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

start with looking at the Marketplace (Shop button top your screen) See what other people make. Decide where your skillset falls within all the mesh products available. Can I make something like this. Could I make it better. Do I want too. When so then pick something to get started on. Jump in

3 hours ago, llAcidicll said:

Hmm. In terms of where to start, I don't mean like items. I mean more so what steps do I take to begin lol. Do I buy a template from someone or get a free mesh body from somewhere? Lol things like that. Steps to developing. The process.

That's where we are unable to help.  It depends what you want to make.

I make houses, so I start with architecture, foundations, wall thickness, stuff like that. And the process begins with a paper design and photos of RL houses similar to my concept.  I then make a high-poly model in blender, UV Map it, and export it for upload in SL Beta Grid.  After several iterations, I have a working High model.  Now I go for the Physics model, I use plane physics as a rule.  Finally I make simplifications for the Medium, Low and Lowest LOD models.  All being regularly tested in Beta Grid.

But if you want to make clothes for mesh avatars...

Honest, you do have to tell us what you are interested in making.

Edited by anna2358
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, llAcidicll said:

Hmm. In terms of where to start, I don't mean like items. I mean more so what steps do I take to begin lol. Do I buy a template from someone or get a free mesh body from somewhere? Lol things like that. Steps to developing. The process.

If you know how to model and UV things why would you buy a template? 

5 hours ago, llAcidicll said:

Why do you want to create and what? If I may ask.

14 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

If you know how to model and UV things why would you buy a template? 

If you know how to use any image editor, why would anyone want to buy textures from someone else?

Because sometimes it's easier and more cost-efficient in effort and time to have had the baseline work already done. Just saying.

47 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

If you know how to use any image editor, why would anyone want to buy textures from someone else?

Because sometimes it's easier and more cost-efficient in effort and time to have had the baseline work already done. Just saying.

It sounds odd to say “I know how to model and UV, so I am going to buy a template someone else modeled and UVed”. If you are going to buy it why mention modeling at all? It’s like saying, I know photoshop, where can I buy textures?

37 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

It sounds odd to say “I know how to model and UV, so I am going to buy a template someone else modeled and UVed”. If you are going to buy it why mention modeling at all? It’s like saying, I know photoshop, where can I buy textures?

Good point. Though I was just answering your question. :)

18 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

The OP probably meant a template, AKA a devkit of any sort (body, head, house modules whatever). It's not unusual in studio daily work to rely on kitbashing to have a premade (licensed) starting point, as well as (licensed) base textures, so to focus on the composition rather than on the authoring, so it makes total sense that if you know how to use photoshop you'd be also buying textures sometimes. Some companies post temp contract jobs based on kitbashing assignments for larger projects on ArtStation, from time to time, for this same very reason.

What the OP needs to know, imo, is that SL has no real set of standards in place, or rather multiple sets, depending from which product your creations are aimed to be compatible with (i.e.: developing on a specific mesh body in order to have your creation fit on it rather than on another body brand; on the other hand a house should have its footprint size based on the most common parcel sizes, so people can easily place them within their properties boundaries). 

On 10/22/2019 at 10:12 PM, llAcidicll said:

start with rezzing objects (prims) inworld.  Learn the inworld building basics. How to link objects to make linksets, How object faces are textured.  How to include scripts in your objects to texture/animate/move objects, etc

once you have a little understanding of basic building in SL then start making your own meshes 

On 10/21/2019 at 1:08 PM, llAcidicll said:

I know how to uv map, texture, and 3d model.. I've decided that I want to try my hand at developing for second-life. Where do I start?! 2019.

Start with creating using the "prim" (short for "Primitive" as in "Primitive Shapes") - Molly explains here:

2 hours ago, Mollymews said:

start with rezzing objects (prims) inworld.  Learn the inworld building basics. How to link objects to make linksets, How object faces are textured.  How to include scripts in your objects to texture/animate/move objects, etc

once you have a little understanding of basic building in SL then start making your own meshes 

Then, once you've learned how to "build a mean prim" and create wonderful stuff, there are tools to help you turn those into mesh. I have research many and I chose this one, based on recommendation (ironically, wasn't it you, Molly!> LOL) - This is the FREE one, so you can demo the system. Then L$2000 for the base system and each of the two other add-ons. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Celzium-00-v02-Inworld-Mesh-Creation-Tool-the-cube-edition-by-Cel-Edman/3375430

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1640 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.