New Laptop

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello to all. I am thinking to buy a new laptop and i wanted to ask if it will run SL without problems.

Features:

• Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (32 bit)
  • Computer Processor: Intel Core i3 2310M 2,1GHz
  • Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce GT 520M 1024MB
  • Computer Memory: 4GB DDR3
  • Sceen Resolution 1366*768

Thanks in advance.

Why for God's sake is everyone buying a laptop for highly intensive 3D applications? I'd recommend a normal desktop PC - has less problems with overheating thus less problems with failing hardware and has a better performance per money ratio! :smileysurprised:

Hello Wildcat! The graphic card is the only scruple i have. The other seems ok and better than the recommended system requirements. Ok i don't want something special, just to be able to play without problems. About your pic i have to say that's i couldn't imagine better solution especially for the summer!  :D

I am totally agree that a desktop PC is better for SL and generally for all 3D games / applycations, but i have a very very good desktop already, with Nvidia GTX, 23'' monitor which is fast like a bullet. I have my graphics to high and never i felt lag even in regions full of people :)

About the cost of that laptop now i consider that it is logical, when i can find in my country with 599 euros.

My first goal Storm is to avoid frozen screens and generally to play without problems and also to buy a laptop economically with a graphics card over the average and compatible with SL. Sure the screen resolution is not the best but i need almost the double money to buy a laptop with better one. So i will enjoy better quality with my desktop PC. :)

i3?  Otherwise it looks solid.  I would look at getting an i5 with a minimum 2GHz FSB and it should only cost a few dollars more.

Win7 32 bit? If you have the option I would pick the 64 bit version UNLESS you have an older printer or some other device that does not have 64 bit drivers out.  There should not be a price difference now but buying 32 bit OS now will mean upgrading later will cost more.  More RAM, for instance, will do no good since 4 GB is the maximum 32 bits can address.  Since a few chunks of that are reserved for system resources you will not even get to use all of the 4 you have. So .... upgrade to 64 bit version of Win 7 if you can.

@Ansariel,
There are a wide number of reasons but most boil down to the reason laptops exist anyway: portability. On the train, in the back yard, take it to work with you, take your pick.

Hello Rhonda. Eventually i purchased it with Windows 64-bit :P

I downloaded the program, installed it and run it without any problem and without making any change with settings in computer. I set my graphics to Ultra just to check it out and this moment i am in a region with 50 people and everything seems ok. I haven't any difficulty or delay when i move, i TP or i rotate my camera while i have also other applications opened. I 've been at 4 busy regions till now. My FPS is arround 15, (with my computer is always and everywhere over than 30) the lower limit to move confort. I guess that if i set my graphics to High or Medium my FPS will be increased. I am very happy because with just 599 euros i got a laptop with which i can play SL no of course with the highest quality but for sure (as seems till now) without any problem. If someone needs a cheap laptop as second choice beside to a better desktop, i strongly suggest a laptop with the features i reported at my first post here and with the same graphics card.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.