Anyone have experience with AM1?

cheesecurd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I need to sell off my workstation since I’m not in that line of work anymore and it’s been pretty much unused since it’s last upgrade, so I’m looking to seriously downgrade. I currently have a Threadripper 1950x, 64gb of 2400mhz ECC ddr4, and two Polaris radeon pro duos. It’s not amazing for SL which is inherently bad at utilizing this type of hardware, but it plays very smoothly. But I’m going to be selling it, and I don’t need much. 

I play in 1680x1050, settings don’t matter much, framerate doesn’t matter much. But I want something very quiet and very low power. The above workstation taxed out for a project would noticeably increase my power bill and the system was designed with creature comforts omitted, its loud. 
So I’m looking into something as quiet and low power as possible, it doesn’t have to be an amazing performer if SL runs well.

There is currently an athlon 5350 APU with 16gb of 1600mhz DDR3 and an aftermarket alpine cooler on Craigslist near me for about 50$. Looking into the Athlon 5350 it’s no crazy performer but it gets the job done for a lot of games.

Im not too experienced with that era of hardware, I’m good with current gen and really old stuff but I didn’t really bother with my computer from 2010-2016.

If anyone has an AM1 APU based system and could provide any insight on expected performance I would be interested.

I know it won’t be amazing but there aren’t exactly YouTube benchmarks of the Athlon 5350 playing SL. Lots of it playing other games though. If I get it I’m just gonna grab a cheap SSD, I have a decent power supply sitting around I’ll be using, and I’ll probably buy a cheap case with sound proofing.

I was suggested a modern system but for my needs now being web browsing and basic 2D drafting I don’t need powerful hardware anymore, so if something like this could also net me playable results in SL then it’s a cheap way to get the computer I need.

2 answers to this question

Performance in SL is CPU, memory, and GPU bottlenecked.

You need clock speed in the CPU and memory. So, it is GHz over core-count. That is why the i5 Intel is a better SL deal for the money than i7s.

8GB of RAM is on the low side. 16 to 32 GB of "fast" memory works better. Memory speed is limited by the motherboard and CPU. You have know the specs on the motherboard to get the fastest memory it can handle. The CPU then has to be fast enough to notice.

GPU... in general NVIDIA provides better support for OpenGL, the basic render language for SL. Any of the 1,000 and 2,000 series cards is way more than enough. More VRAM helps especially of you multitask. The GPU cannot make up for a slow CPU. My GTX 1060 runs SL with a 25 to 50% GPU load with a i5-6600k clocked at 4.1 Ghz.

Harddisk or SSD... these mostly affect scene render time and the viewer UI way more than FPS.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.