Erwin Solo

Why not just re-enable last names for new Avatar Accounts?

On 10/21/2019 at 4:53 PM, Frank Ziplon said:

Wow, this is a somewhat bizarrely emotive topic. I just don't get it. When I created my alt accounts

Maybe you don't get it because you're posting under an account with a last name and your accounts that are affected are your alt accounts which you may or may not use daily. When I signed up there was no option of having a last name and I accepted that. It wasn't an issue for me until Linden Lab made the statement on March 21, 2018 that it became an issue.

"The return of Last Names - You’ve asked for it (a lot!), so we will provide a way to customize your last name in Second Life! More details will be available later this year."The return of Last Names - You’ve asked for it (a lot!), so we will provide a way to customize your last name in Second Life! More details will be available later this year." As one of their "FIFTEEN REASONS TO CELEBRATE"

They opened that door and if people with last names don't get it, that's okay they don't have a dog in that hunt. Why should they care that people with a resident tag were told by Linden Lab that this was going to happen but what if it were something you did care about or something that did affect your daily Second Life experience?

Would it affect you or would you care if Linden Lab decided to scrap the 10% reduction in mainland costs or the double mainland tier for premium members?

What if they decided tomorrow that the Environment Enhancement Project (EEP) is just too hard to implement and decided not to continue work on it?

What if they decided that they've built enough new Linden Homes to satisfy their obligation of "Linden Homes improvements - We're bringing newer and better Linden Home designs this year."?

What if almost 2 years in we didn't have Animesh or they decided that it was just too hard to do so they scrapped it and what if Bakes On Mesh had never left the oven?

The forum is full of other people who asked and continue to ask the same questions of BoM, Animesh, EEP, Linden Homes and reduced mainland costs. Some have been satisfied and others have not. Linden Lab said it March of 2018 and again on September 30, 2019 stating that "the last month we’ve made significant progress in laying the foundations for the long-awaited Name Changes feature".

Sure, it could be considered a vanity thing but so are mesh bodies and heads and everyone can have one or more of those. While it may not affect you, you may not care or understand why doesn't make it less important. It was one of their reasons to celebrate and we who have been waiting for it are not celebrating it yet. So what if we ask for progress on if or when it's going to happen how does that affect your Second Life? 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@MichaMoz. Did a good job of summoning up a lot of people opinions on the situation.  When that announcement was first made there was some speculation at least amongst the people I spoke to that we would possibly be able to just create a last name. Then it became clear they were referring to reinstating the last names and allowing a change of last name for existing users. 

None the less I got excited because I thought it would be fun to change my last name even if I had to pay for it. But it seems like now it's just been swept under the rug and isn't going to happen.  I mean this is going on two years now that they officially announced that they were working on it.  Like maybe the lindens hope we forget about it.  Shrugs.

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

But it seems like now it's just been swept under the rug and isn't going to happen.

It's still in progress. Linden Lab just posted an update not even a month ago. Allowing last names is not the issue, allowing the ability to change names isn't the issue. The issue is allowing the ability to change names without breaking anything is the issue. Think about it: all the web sites like your account page, my.secondlife profiles page, market place pages, in-world scripts that allow you to buy stuff, get redeliveries, send you updates, the money system that sends you money when someone pays you (and your weekly stipend if premium) - or that send you the object you paid that vendor to send you... The list goes on and on and on and ON...

Would you rather have it NAO!!! ...only half-baked and then discover what breaks in the process, or would you rather it take two or three or more years to implement, knowing that nothing at all will break and affect your existing experience?

If you want to give up hope, that's understandable. But to publicly presume it is "swept under the rug" is a bit presumptuous, do you not agree?

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, MichaMoz said:

"The return of Last Names - You’ve asked for it (a lot!), so we will provide a way to customize your last name in Second Life! More details will be available later this year."The return of Last Names - You’ve asked for it (a lot!), so we will provide a way to customize your last name in Second Life! More details will be available later this year." As one of their "FIFTEEN REASONS TO CELEBRATE"

Unfortunately, they made that statement before they had done full research into everything that would be impacted in the back-end code.  When they got into the in-depth review of things, they found out that it was going to be far more complicated than they had originally thought.  That put a major kink in their timeline.

9 hours ago, MichaMoz said:

They opened that door and if people with last names don't get it, that's okay they don't have a dog in that hunt. Why should they care that people with a resident tag were told by Linden Lab that this was going to happen

There are actually some folks that already have last names that are wanting this feature to be finally released.  There are partners that want to change their names so that they have the same last name.  There are SL families that want to all have the same last name.  There are others that want one or more of their alts to have the same last name. 

By the same token, we've heard from other folks here in the forums, with the current Resident last name, that they don't want the feature and don't care at all about it.

In other words, there are people with last names currently and without, that both care and don't care about this feature.  Granted, there are likely more Resident folks that care than those that already have a last name, but it is definitely not an 'us vs them' type issue.

• Like 3

On 10/20/2019 at 5:26 PM, Erwin Solo said:

Why not just re-enable last names for new Avatar Accounts? There is no technical work to be done. Everything still works. If you doubt me, note that last names remain available for new accounts if you pay enough money. See: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Custom_Name_Program  

As for the oft-stated concern that confusion about last names leads to fall-out in the signup process, that's just a matter of web page design. Make the current one-name procedure the default, and make last name selection require someone to follow a tiny footnote link. That would have solved the problem back in 2010 if it really was a problem. I think it was just regulars checking out the then-current last-names list. 

Remember that when SL shut down new last-names in major markets, that people were VPN'ing into smaller markets to get last names.  

Current users looking for two-name alts will be in the know soon enough. Word will spread virally. How do you think people find out about Firestorm, for example?  

There would be a rush of new avatar creation. Lots of sales of mesh bodies, mesh heads, mesh clothing.

I remember when they did away with last names, everyone rejoiced they could make their own last names!  Now people want last names again? Poor  LL no one is ever happy.

Edited by Tarina Sewell

The only thing I have against it is that I'd like to get a headsup so I can figure out how to handle that db-wise.

2 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

I remember when they did away with last names, everyone rejoiced they could make their own last names!  Now people want last names again? Poor  LL no one is ever happy.

the Linden plan was that User Names were to be retired from the view and used only for login. Display Names were to be the new inworld thing with UUIDs for transactions/record keeping with llGetDisplayName(key id), and llKey2Name(key id) also returning the display name

the joy broke down, when Linden said that Display Names were not going to be unique to each user. Transactions-wise, because UUID, this wouldn't have mattered

but a large number of people with hard-earned creator/vendor/provider reputation to protect, were the least joyful due to the potential for spoofing. So User Names were kept in the view, and Display Names became vanity tags 

• Like 4

On 10/21/2019 at 5:39 AM, MichaMoz said:

What a fantastic idea! Give new users last names like old ones and burn all the people in the middle that have signed up over half of SL's existence! That's won't cause any issues at all. Unless "Residents" decide that they've been deceived with promises of bringing last names back (578 days ago and counting), had enough and take their $ elsewhere.

Don’t even front that you are not addicted to SL as are most of the people you are talking about. The Lindens could walk up and doodoo in your back yard and you would still give them your money 😅😜

On 10/24/2019 at 1:29 AM, Tarina Sewell said:

I remember when they did away with last names, everyone rejoiced they could make their own last names!  

Yeah I remember that too. People were really happy about it.

Meanwhile Kimmi has her Linden friend give a 50¢ tour of the Linden Lab's offices and asked to use a computer to check email.  She see's a function to turn on the last names and activates it. 

Then........

dividezero.jpg

• Haha 5

On 10/24/2019 at 4:19 AM, Mollymews said:

the Linden plan was that User Names were to be retired from the view and used only for login. Display Names were to be the new inworld thing with UUIDs for transactions/record keeping with llGetDisplayName(key id), and llKey2Name(key id) also returning the display name

the joy broke down, when Linden said that Display Names were not going to be unique to each user. Transactions-wise, because UUID, this wouldn't have mattered

but a large number of people with hard-earned creator/vendor/provider reputation to protect, were the least joyful due to the potential for spoofing. So User Names were kept in the view, and Display Names became vanity tags 

right, I knew this but thanks....

On 10/20/2019 at 10:26 PM, Erwin Solo said:

Why not just re-enable last names for new Avatar Accounts? 

This should be obvious. The Lab won't make any money off it, if they do it for free.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Matty Luminos said:

This should be obvious. The Lab won't make any money off it, if they do it for free.

What they should really do to make money is bring out name changes as a premium only thing, then do away with display names.

• Sad 2

51 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

What they should really do to make money is bring out name changes as a premium only thing, then do away with display names.

They can't really do away with display names because they never made it clear during signup that account names would be visible inworld. 

If they changed the signup process, they could do so going forward, but they would still have to retain them for existing Residents. And in that case they may as well keep them for everyone.

I wish they would disable fancy ascii characters though. Make them alphanumeric only.

Edited by Matty Luminos

5 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

They can't really do away with display names because they never made it clear during signup that account names would be visible inworld. 

If they changed the signup process, they could do so going forward, but they would still have to retain them for existing Residents. And in that case they may as well keep them for everyone.

I wish they would disable fancy ascii characters though. Make them alphanumeric only.

They could still do away with display names.  Before last names went away we didn't have display names and is also was not specified on the signup page that the login name would be our inworld visible name.  That part doesn't really matter to LL.  There was a hint of display names going away in one of the posts way back when they first started talking about bringing back last names.  Since the display name is not part of any key for anything, they could get rid of them with pretty much no impact to anything in the back end.

If they are kept though, they definitely should eliminate all of the fancy characters.

I always see this topic but I don't understand the overzealous fascination with last names.  Granted, i wasn't around back then, but the current system works fine as it is.  We can always put last names in our display name if it's really that important to people.   I do wish they would get rid of the Resident tag though.  It seems unnecessary but i'm sure there's probably some technical reason why they are required.

Perhaps i'm not understanding this issue clearly, but can somebody explain why they want them so badly.  😐

Edited by Nextio

10 minutes ago, Nextio said:

I always see this topic but I don't understand the overzealous fascination with last names.  Granted, i wasn't around back then, but the current system works fine as it is.  We can always put last names in our display name if it's really that important to people.   I do wish they would get rid of the Resident tag though.  It seems unnecessary but i'm sure there's probably some technical reason why they are required.

Perhaps i'm not understanding this issue clearly, but can somebody explain why they want them so badly.  😐

image.png.3cdb44697629b4b028414d3ab7b978a8.png

On 10/21/2019 at 12:14 AM, Pussycat Catnap said:

Simple solution: get rid of usernames.

Tomorrow at 9am, everyone has a display name only - and you cannot have a display name someone else is already using.

No thanks.  I like the ability to change display names for RP reasons.  I also like using them for fun and flavorful text such as titles or other symbols.  If you take them away, people will start using titlers which would add more to the script count.

8 minutes ago, Eric Castanea said:

I'm aware of that, but i should've been more clear.  I meant seeing the Resident tag inworld such as in scripts, chat, from lucky chairs and MM boards, etc.

1 hour ago, Nextio said:

No thanks.  I like the ability to change display names for RP reasons.  I also like using them for fun and flavorful text such as titles or other symbols.  If you take them away, people will start using titlers which would add more to the script count.

Where did I suggest taking away display names?

And some in world get mad if you call them by the system name. I did that when the display name was a bunch of characters I couldn't make out, especially with my ancient eyeballs!