Why not just re-enable last names for new Avatar Accounts?

Erwin Solo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 hours ago, Erwin Solo said:

There would be a rush of new avatar creation. Lots of sales of mesh bodies, mesh heads, mesh clothing.

There would also be a new rush of people who "joined in the last 9 & 1/2 you still wear a noob tag." and would still be wearing that "noob tag", to leave SL permanently. Right, wrong or indifferent, the implications could be far worse than anyone vowing to leave because of Tillia or increased premiums. Don't be fooled into thinking that SL has such an addictive power that it can't be overcome. To be burned in such a way by the Lab who has stated time and time again that last names are going to happen would be unconscionable. They didn't have to open this Pandora's box but they did. If for some reason they can't pull off this task that they created for themselves then they can not be looked upon as the "gods of SL" but as people simply doing their best to give their customers what they've asked for and failing, as people often do. If they did offer new users last names they would also show the users that joined over the last 9 1/2 of 16 years that still wear that "noob tag" that they really don't care about them or their $. I'm sure many would continue on as just another "resident" but I highly doubt many would give up what they have already invested for a new start with a last name just as so many people rejected Sansar because they already had so much invested in their current SL avatar.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MichaMoz said:

What a fantastic idea! Give new users last names like old ones and burn all the people in the middle that have signed up over half of SL's existence! That's won't cause any issues at all. Unless "Residents" decide that they've been deceived with promises of bringing last names back (578 days ago and counting), had enough and take their $ elsewhere.

You know what’s really burning people? Bringing back last names as a paid feature and leaving Resident as the only name available at registration. Followed closely by not being able to actually implement it and leaving Resident as the only name available at registration.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

The big problem is LLs doesn't have the culture of being willing to tell users 'tough, your crap was old, update it' like MMOs and games like Skyrim do.

The problem with that comparison is that SL isn't like Skyrim or other MMOs. Other MMOs have content created by the developers directly. Content in SL is almost entirely created by the users. LL can't keep breaking people's content as it breaks the whole of SL, frustrating creators and end-users alike.

Even breaking-changes to closed-source code libraries aren't a good comparison, as the developers relying on those can choose NOT to include the new changes. We can't choose our preferred API version in SL.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

It's a politics issue then.

Tomorrow at 9am - first new account made has a last name.

What do you tell the sucker who made the name 'somebodygotallthegoodones3903214' at 8:59 am?

I know you have a deep investment in that one minute old account with a crap name, but suck it up and make a new one.

To the people who actually have something invested in their Resident accounts with crap names, get name changes done. And the people who made "Resident" accounts 7 or 9 years ago probably aren't the ones stuck with crap names.

• Like 2

Many people have crap names. Young, old, ancient. You have the people that wanted to be "funny" once, but realized after five years they don't want to have that cheap joke stuck on their head forever. You have the people that want to change...uhm..."lifestyles" but their name just advertises their old one forever to the world. You have the people, that did not realize they can't change their name or that its visible for anyone, when they joined and gave it no second thought. And last but not least all the "You are the love of my life"- kind of people, who change their name to tell the world they are glued to their partner or had a virtual wedding.

If it was easy for LL to offer name changes, they could make a fortune with it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The switch to generic "Resident" last names is due to all the people who complained about the LL generated last names. It was a terrible solution but that's what you get for complaining. Now LL has a new solution due to people complaining about "Resident" last names which I believe means you'll need to be a Premium member and involves a price? Don't remember exactly and don't care to look into the details because I lost interest as it sounded to me like another screwed up solution. I was hoping for just having last LL generated last names back as they were but guess it can't be done because of how the platform is now set up. I don't blame LL though in this because they did make an attempt to be responsive to user needs and If everyone had just shut up about it in the first place we'd still have the LL generated user names. 

Now we have more complaints and second guesses about what LL can and cannot do about this. If I was LL I would disregard anything any user has to say about this at this point. You've all screwed it up enough. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I joined Second Life back in 2009 on my original account. I started over one time after my divorce since my ex was into sl too. I didn't like giving up the option of a last name, but it was worth it for a fresh start. I wouldn't personally be willing to start over again just to get a last name. I'm looking forward to what LL has set up. I'm going to be more than happy to pay for the option of a last name on this account since Lyrical is the one account that has truly felt like me.

It wouldn't be a good idea If they started offering new accounts with last names. Like many have said, it would upset a lot of people who've been in sl for years and have a lot of time/money invested into their accounts with the Resident name. No matter the solution they come up with, there are always going to be down sides to it. There are always going to be people who aren't completely happy. The solution they are implementing I feel is the most fair under the circumstances because although it's important to attract new users to sl, it is also important to maintain the happiness of the long term users as well.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LyricalBookworm said:

It wouldn't be a good idea If they started offering new accounts with last names.

I think it would be good if they also implemented name change at the same time, or if the name change feature proves to be technically impossible. The only downside to doing both is for the lab, people won't be forced into terrible Resident names they'll want to immediately pay to change.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

Many people have crap names. Young, old, ancient. You have the people that wanted to be "funny" once, but realized after five years they don't want to have that cheap joke stuck on their head forever. You have the people that want to change...uhm..."lifestyles" but their name just advertises their old one forever to the world. You have the people, that did not realize they can't change their name or that its visible for anyone, when they joined and gave it no second thought. And last but not least all the "You are the love of my life"- kind of people, who change their name to tell the world they are glued to their partner or had a virtual wedding.

If it was easy for LL to offer name changes, they could make a fortune with it. 

One of my older accounts from 2005 has the same uncommon last name as what was once the largest seller of scripted vending devices.  I would get IMs all the time asking for service on something for which I wasn't responsible. That's why I quit using the account.  The ability to rename back then would have been helpful.  I'm still wishing I could rename it, and will when I can.

• Like 1

I personally think all the work on last names is a colossal waste of time, and totally the wrong way to go about naming. Relegate usernames to where they belong, in transaction details, and allow people the flexibility we already have with display names. The downsides in allowing renames are so huge IMHO that its not even worth discussing (anything with a script that relies on knowing your user name....like re-delivery). But that's just me. I will go back to being perfectly content with my Resident last name.  : )

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I know you have a deep investment in that one minute old account with a crap name, but suck it up and make a new one.

To the people who actually have something invested in their Resident accounts with crap names, get name changes done. And the people who made "Resident" accounts 7 or 9 years ago probably aren't the ones stuck with crap names.

Yeah. I was exaggerating of course. But, LL is usually not 'bold' enough to make these calls in either case - whereas other services will tell the person with a 75 year old account to suck it up and deal.

I think LL errs on the side of under-reach in these issues.

• Like 1

Wow, this is a somewhat bizarrely emotive topic. I just don't get it. When I created my alt accounts, I certainly didn't pull out the tissues because I couldn't create a last name, I just combined it with the first name. I honestly don't understand that people label those without a last name as wearing the "noob tag", it's just a crazy statement, given how long last names have been gone. If it were as simple as flipping a switch, I have no doubt they would have done it already, they would have nothing to lose.

Do make it a premium feature, if it is something that costs to implement, but I certainly would not be sad enough to sign up for a premium account, just to have a last name and I find it doubtful there would be many who would.

What's wrong with just using the display name to create a last name? Hell what's wrong with putting an underscore in the name created for a last name? It's not like the Resident aspect of the name is shown above the avatar, is it even shown in profiles?, I guess I don't care enough to have bothered noticing.

I really do worry about the mental health of some Second Lifers when such ridiculous things become such an emotive issue.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MichaMoz said:

What a fantastic idea! Give new users last names like old ones and burn all the people in the middle that have signed up over half of SL's existence! That's won't cause any issues at all. Unless "Residents" decide that they've been deceived with promises of bringing last names back (578 days ago and counting), had enough and take their $ elsewhere.

The ones in the middle won't be screwed any more than the new accounts.  Nobody will get a last name at sign up unless they opt to go Premium and pay the additional last name fee.  That same option will be available to all current Resident accounts (and actually to all accounts, whether or not they already have a last name) -- become Premium and pay the additional fee to get a last name.

Both groups are screwed, IMO, when compared to us older accounts that got a last name without any fees.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Frank Ziplon said:

Hell what's wrong with putting an underscore in the name created for a last name?

when Resident was introduced, Linden were asked by us, the residents, if we could use one space character in our user name. Positioned not less than 2 characters from the start and end, so that visually first and last name was at least 2 characters each. So instead of "FrankZip" then "Frank Zip" displayed as username in the viewer. Service Username: Frank Zip Resident

Linden said No to this, and it wasn't clear to me then, or now, why they said No

Edited by Mollymews
each
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

when Resident was introduced, Linden were asked by us, the residents, if we could use one space character in our user name. Positioned not less than 2 characters from the start and end, so that visually first and last name was at least 2 characters. So instead of "FrankZip" then "Frank Zip" displayed as username in the viewer. Service Username: Frank Zip Resident

Linden said No to this, and it wasn't clear to me then, or now, why they said No

Hi Molly, OK, I agree allowing a space, would have been a good idea, but I also have to believe there is some technical reason they did not, I don't think they have any desire to just upset people. However I still do not understand why it is a big deal, you could argue I have a last name so why would I, but I do have two alt accounts without them. I mean when I look at your name for example, I am perfectly capable of making the distinction that you are most likely Molly Mews, a space would not make you any more Molly Mews than not. I really need to understand, why in the grand scheme of things, this is so important?

Edited by Frank Ziplon
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

when Resident was introduced, Linden were asked by us, the residents, if we could use one space character in our user name. Positioned not less than 2 characters from the start and end, so that visually first and last name was at least 2 characters each. So instead of "FrankZip" then "Frank Zip" displayed as username in the viewer. Service Username: Frank Zip Resident

My guess on that would be because of how some of the coding was done.  They may have things parsing the full name value looking for the space to separate out the first and last names.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Frank Ziplon said:

what's wrong with putting an underscore in the name created for a last name?

Again, this could be because of how some of the coding was done.  If things in the back end are simply looking for letters and numbers, then adding special characters can cause things to have to be re-coded --- possibly lots of things.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My guess on that would be because of how some of the coding was done.  They may have things parsing the full name value looking for the space to separate out the first and last names.

yes that was raised in the LSL scripting circles as well.  llKey2Name() returns "LittleMe Jewell" say.  Then the script parses the name on the space: Firstname: LittleMe. Lastname: Jewell

with an allowed space then literally it is: Firstname: Molly. Lastname: Mews Resident

taking this to the next level from a robust scripting pov:

string name = llKey2Name(llDetectedKey(0));

list parsename = llParseString2List(name, [" "], []);

string firstname = llList2String(parsename, 0);
string lastname = llList2String(parsename, 1);

LittleMe Jewell = LittleMe Jewell
Molly Mews Resident = Molly Mews

knowing that when list parsename has a 3rd element then it is Resident

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Frank Ziplon said:

I really need to understand, why in the grand scheme of things, this is so important?

is a human social thing.  Names are how we self-identify

while we might not particularly care how others think about how we identify. Or much care if others think differently about how we ourselves identify. Is not about this really

is about how a person identifies themselves to themselves

ps.  I am hoping that one of new last names (when/if they ever come) on the list will be Quietly. I will try to snaffle that one :😺

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Shansi Kenin said:

I think if your an Estate Owner(own 1 full region or more) but are not Premuim, you would qualify to get your name changed at no cost. 

Well, while I agree with the sentiment, I think that if you are an Estate Owner, you probably hold the Estate in the name you already like best and are least likely to want to change. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.