SL's most exclusive club

choobaloo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1643 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

@Amina Sopwith, I took great offense at being included in the ranks of the w*nkbadgers and being told I shouldn’t be offended. Yes, I do see how silly that is now and tonight I’ll be creating a w*nkbadgers group and the membership fee will be L$11,001 with a 100% discount for everyone except Goreans. A lesson that we could both possibly take away from this entire cluster of a thread is that we can’t decide for anyone else what they should be offended by. I don’t think anyone should be offended by people belonging to a members-only club, and you don’t think people should be offended at being include in the ranks of w*nkbadgers. Neither of us gets to decide that for other people. 

I am really sorry, Beth. I absolutely didn't intend to include you in that description; the "you" in that post was meant to be a generic "you", and the person I was talking about was intended as a kind of caricature. I was skimming and hadn't even really processed your post that preceded that one. If I had, I'd have chosen my words more carefully. What I'll take from this is to read threads more carefully and be more mindful of how my words might be perceived in the general context of the discussion. 

FWIW, I'm really not offended by members' only clubs (is there any other kind?), but like I said, I do class humour and, well, this particular place does have a bit of a massive bullseye on it. Sorry. 

I'll join your club, though. As for Goreans, charge them double. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Okay, well… there’s a lot to unpack here so bear with me.

First off, I’m okay, I promise. I had a rough couple of days, something that happens to all of us. I responded the way I did because I’m really tired of Luna desperately trying to find some sort of dirt on me or reason to despise me even more than she does, and her constant need to poke me in an effort to make me reveal my hidden evil intentions. We had a disagreement once and since then she’s been looking over my shoulder every time I turn around.

I’ve got crap, you’ve got crap, we’ve all got crap. My crap is no worse, no better, no different than the crap anyone else is dealing with. Crap is crap and it doesn’t have a hierarchy – it’s just crap and it all weighs a lot. My intention in listing my crap was to, hopefully, get Luna to stop fixating on me.

So seriously, I’m okay, but thank you to those of you who reached out to me! I focused my rant on my crap, but I can promise you that my… er… what’s the opposite of crap? The really amazing things in my life, and there are lots of them, far outweigh the crap.

@Selene Gregoire, you lectured you me on what constitutes being a snob and what good manners consist of. One could argue that your reaction was not something Emily Post would consider well-mannered at all. Your defense will be that you were talking in general, and not about me specifically. However, when you include lines such as, “Frankly, if you want to be a snob, that’s not my problem” when responding to me, you are very much directing that at me. Snobbery is not limited to people with money. Cultural snobbery is a real thing, and whether you realize it or not, you engage in it often. You look down on people you perceive haven’t had the struggles you’ve had in your life. Yes, you piss people off. Whether it’s intentionally or subconsciously, you do it, and when it has the result you’re trying to achieve – making people angry or making them feel like crap – you retreat into your injured dove routine. There is nothing wrong with being honest, or expressing your own truth, but that is not an excuse for being an ass about it. I plan on doing some reflecting on that myself because I'm guilty of it as well.

@Pixel, if you want to take swings at me on your regular account instead of hiding behind an alt, I’ll do more than wipe my butt with your opinion.

@roseelvira, the one thing Selene and I agree on (actually, it’s far from the only thing we agree on) is that the world needs more treasures like you. I love you to the moon and back for your truly gentle and kind soul. Everyone could learn to be a better person from you! The reason I’ll be alone during the holidays is because I don’t want to travel. I have a huge loving family, but we’re all scattered. We used to all gather for the holidays in my city because that’s also where my parents lived. Now they’re gone so everyone does their own thing. I would be welcomed with open arms at any of their houses. There is a whole thing about how reality sets in when you become an adult orphan, and it’s just part of growing up and growing older, and how things change beyond our control. It’s not so much that I’m sad about being alone for the holidays as it is just being wistful and nostalgic for the days when the family could all be together and missing my incredible parents. Thank you for your amazing invitation, though, and I love you!

@Amina Sopwith, I took great offense at being included in the ranks of the w*nkbadgers and being told I shouldn’t be offended. Yes, I do see how silly that is now and tonight I’ll be creating a w*nkbadgers group and the membership fee will be L$11,001 with a 100% discount for everyone except Goreans. A lesson that we could both possibly take away from this entire cluster of a thread is that we can’t decide for anyone else what they should be offended by. I don’t think anyone should be offended by people belonging to a members-only club, and you don’t think people should be offended at being include in the ranks of w*nkbadgers. Neither of us gets to decide that for other people. 

@Drake1 Nightfire, thank you so much for contributing to the stigma people who are suffering, or surviving, from mental health illnesses face. You are part of the reason that so many people continue to suffer silently, refuse to seek help, and live with shame as if a mental illness is any different from any other illness. Would you tell a diabetic to just will their pancreas to produce insulin? By spouting your nonsense, you are potentially driving anyone reading who might be going through a bad time, and might need a helping hand, to just keep quiet and just continue to suffer. Bravo, big man.

And, finally, @Luna Bliss and the Alts. Can you just stop now?

Now, onto the topic of this alleged club. I’m going to go out on a pretty sturdy limb here and say it doesn’t exist. All we have to go on is the OP who has provided very few details about this club, such as what type of club it is. I think most of us have assumed it’s a sex club because why would anyone pay that kind of money to stand around looking pretty and NOT getting laid?

But let’s break it down further – Has anyone other than the OP encountered this club, or any club that has a membership fee that is even close to that? Has anyone encountered a club where you have to pay a fee in order to be granted access to some sort of screening?

If the OP would like to contact me privately with the name of this club, I’m happy to go check it out and report back. Just click on my name and send me a message.

I can think of two places off the top of my head that might be what the OP is referring to, but unless things have changed since I joined them, the requirements for joining are not as presented. One of the clubs has randomly increased the membership fee over the years to levels that are in the thousands, but I don’t think it’s anywhere near L$10K. I could be wrong, though, and if it is that high, I have a few ideas of why that might be and who they’re trying to keep out, and it’s not the people most of you assume they are – it’s the trolls who get banned, create an alt, come back and join again, troll again, rinse/repeat. If the membership fee is that high, I think the reason is that if a troll chooses to continue to target the place, at least the owner will make a few bucks off their repeated harassment.

The other club I’m thinking of is owned by one of those men who believes he’s being edgy and cool by behaving like a complete jackass and this seems like the type of stunt he’d pull in hopes of being featured on virtual secrets again because he’s not been getting enough attention recently.

The only club I know of with any sort of assessment is a club without any membership fee at all, and the assessment solely consists of questions about swinging, partners, limits, etc., because it’s a sex club where they expect people to have sex and not just stand around. Looks don’t play much of a role in this assessment since… well, a lot of the members most certainly do not have the latest and greatest anything, and clothing is absolutely not necessary. The assessment is an attempt to prevent the club from becoming one of those places where people just stand around and no one really does anything, especially not the sex that is the reason for the existence of the club in the first place.

If I’m wrong, and this club does exist, I’d truly love to know the name and who owns it because I have no problem contacting them and finding out exactly why they have a fee that high, and assessment that stringent, and what happens behind the closed doors that is worthy of L$11,000.

I don’t know if I’ll continue to post here in the future or not. Whether the regulars realize it or not, this is a very closed society. Sure, anyone can post here, but being accepted is an entirely different matter. I sort of elbowed my way in about six months ago after a dozen years of not really knowing this place existed. These forums can be very addictive, especially to people like me who do love endless debates. I stopped blogging, I stopped most of my photography, I ended up spending my time inworld sitting on a couch and reading/posting here.   

Is it contributing to my enjoyment of Second Life? I’ve had a lot of laughs here, made some great friends – these forums also played a big role in my currently-fabulous love life. It’s also been an endless source of frustration, though. I’m not sure which outweighs which at this point.

But I really want to know the name of this club.

I may or may not be an alt, it’s irrelevant to the validity of my comment. Your obsession with Luna Bliss is disturbing though, accusing her of having alts on forum sounds like breaking TOS to me. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Pixel said:

I may or may not be an alt, it’s irrelevant to the validity of my comment. Your obsession with Luna Bliss is disturbing though, accusing her of having alts on forum sounds like breaking TOS to me. 

Luna has not only admitted to but identified at least one alt in the forum. As you probably are well aware.

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

@Drake1 Nightfire, thank you so much for contributing to the stigma people who are suffering, or surviving, from mental health illnesses face. You are part of the reason that so many people continue to suffer silently, refuse to seek help, and live with shame as if a mental illness is any different from any other illness. Would you tell a diabetic to just will their pancreas to produce insulin? By spouting your nonsense, you are potentially driving anyone reading who might be going through a bad time, and might need a helping hand, to just keep quiet and just continue to suffer. Bravo, big man.

You know what, i was going to post a long reply to you.. along the lines of your rants. with some of the horrible things that have happened recently in my life. But no, I'm not stooping to your level. 

Be well, enjoy your life. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Upper Class Twit of the Year.

Obviously, no account of British class humour would be complete without mention of the Adrian Mole series. Sue Townsend was wonderful. We won't see her like again. 

And how is dear Nigel these days?

Interesting fact: Farage attended school at Dulwich; another alumni is P. G. Wodehouse, an early pioneer in the portrayal of Upper Class Twits who undoubtedly was drawing, in part at least, from his experiences there.

Coincidence? I think not.

2 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

You know what, i was going to post a long reply to you.. along the lines of your rants. with some of the horrible things that have happened recently in my life. But no, I'm not stooping to your level. 

Be well, enjoy your life. 

We really can’t go wrong assuming other people carry burdens, maybe even greater ones than our own. Maybe much much greater.

And our job is to in some small way lighten as many as we can.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And how is dear Nigel these days?

Sadly I didn't see him while I was on the People's Vote march last weekend. A real pity. My sign had a very long and splintery handle and I'd have loved to put it somewhere that would distract him from Brexit for at least thirty seconds.

You've seen this, right?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Pixel said:

As Pamela pointed out, Luna has outed herself as Kiera Clutterbuck - an alt she used to come along behind herself to support herself in her arguments with me (and others as well, I'm certain). I've had Luna blocked for ages and only see her posts when she replies directly to me, which she persists in doing even though I've repeatedly asked her to leave me alone. 

If there is a TOS violation to be found, might I suggest this one?

• Alternate Accounts

While Residents may choose to play Second Life with more than one account, specifically or consistently using an alternate account to harass other Residents or violate the Community Standards is not acceptable. Alternate accounts are generally treated as separate from a Resident's principal account, but misuse of alternate accounts can and will result in disciplinary action on the principal account.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

We really can’t go wrong assuming other people carry burdens, maybe even greater ones than our own. Maybe much much greater.

And our job is to in some small way lighten as many as we can.

I have no problem helping others.. I do it all the time.. There is a time and place however. This thread was neither. We went from talking about a club and exclusivity to Beth freaking out. When a rant starts to flow from your fingertips, its time to take a step back, watch a movie and walk away from the computer for a while. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Sadly I didn't see him while I was on the People's Vote march last weekend. A real pity. My sign had a very long and splintery handle and I'd have loved to put it somewhere that would distract him from Brexit for at least thirty seconds.

You've seen this, right?

That's wonderful -- as is the "I Fought the Law" one. I especially loved the backup singing by Rees-Mogg, however. Who knew he had such talent?

Yes, Kiera Clutterbuck is my alt, and I assume her at times when I see the thread becoming contentious -- I can't risk getting banned as sometimes people are banned from inworld as well and I have a store to maintain.  At the time I outed Kiera I explained this, as the thread was getting very contentious.   I made a few posts the other day as Kiera, not to anyone, just posting as my alt for no particular reason.  Quite a few creators do post as alts here btw...it's safer.

Pixel is not an alt of mine.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That's wonderful -- as is the "I Fought the Law" one.

Yeah, that was genius too. Let's just put PoliticsJoe and Larry the cat in No 10 already, ffs.

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I especially loved the backup singing by Rees-Mogg, however. Who knew he had such talent?

That's nothing. Wait until HE meets my long, splintery sign handle.

Also, his real name is The Haunted Pencil.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Haha 1

Beth, you do have a bit of a fixation on me in this thread -- not sure what it's about. I can say however, that like anybody else there are some things I like about you, and some I don't.

People not agreeing with you regarding the snobbishness or not of these clubs seemed to affect you deeply. It seems you couldn't tolerate that. Not sure what that has to do with me though.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

As Pamela pointed out, Luna has outed herself as Kiera Clutterbuck

Yes this is against TOS.  I called someone by their previous name once and got a suspension for it, even though they had outed themselves.  Pamela, btw, only said I had an alt -- she did not mention the name.

I'm very tired of you accusing me of things I'm not doing, btw.  Please errrr quiet down.

Edited by Luna Bliss

1 hour ago, Beth Macbain said:

I keep getting notifications that one @Caresse Mistwood, a brand new account with absolutely no history, is going through all of my posts in this thread and putting sad faces on them. 

Huh... wonder who that could be. 🙄

not new just a lurker sorry if that offends you its things like thie why I don't post and now i'm going back to lurking

21 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I have no problem helping others.. I do it all the time.. There is a time and place however. This thread was neither. We went from talking about a club and exclusivity to Beth freaking out. When a rant starts to flow from your fingertips, its time to take a step back, watch a movie and walk away from the computer for a while. 

I wasn’t addressing you specifically, Drake, just riffing on your quote.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1643 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.