SL's most exclusive club

choobaloo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You guys got it all wrong.

The most exclusive party is the Party of One.

There's no amount of money or power that enables you to join one. 😁

Rhonda's Brat Club.  By invite only.  Perks include but not limited to, gacha money, sexy gifts and exclusive access to "la chambre à coucher."
Currently at maximum membership.

That kind of makes me sound egotistical, doesn't it.  Like being my brat is a choice position.  It only sounds that way because I am egotistical 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You guys got it all wrong.

The most exclusive party is the Party of One.

There's no amount of money or power that enables you to join one. 😁

there is also the Party of Oh

is so cool that we can't even invite ourselves, even when is at our place :😺

• Like 1

I've always liked Groucho Marx's response when he was offered membership in the exclusive Friars Club of Beverley Hills: " I sent the club a wire stating, "PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER. ' "

• Like 7

On 10/20/2019 at 11:19 AM, choobaloo said:

There is a club on SL so exclusive that you have to pay 1,000L to enter an assessment sim, where your avatar will be screened and either accepted or ejected. 

If accepted, you pay another 10,000L and are given access to the actual club sim. 

I was wondering, does anyone know the place I'm talking about, and did you ever get in?

I believe I know, does it start with a T?

On 10/20/2019 at 10:19 AM, choobaloo said:

There is a club on SL so exclusive that you have to pay 1,000L to enter an assessment sim, where your avatar will be screened and either accepted or ejected. 

If accepted, you pay another 10,000L and are given access to the actual club sim. 

I was wondering, does anyone know the place I'm talking about, and did you ever get in?

Funny-Memes---vegan-club.jpeg

hehehehe

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, operationhammerman said:

I'd happily pay twice that to slam the door on child AVs, noobs, furries, vampires, etc. If Second Life clubs have a problem it's that they're not exclusive enough - too many are happy to lower the tone for a brief spike in traffic.

Username checks out.

Can someone explain to me why it's so offensive that some clubs charge high membership fees? I did my best to explain why I used to seek them out, but no one really responded so I assumed people understood why it's preferable to some of us. 

Much like with the discussion about people selling shapes on the other thread, if you don't like it, don't join, but why is there this need to act like it's such a terrible thing? 

I'm generally a pretty inclusive sort of gal, but when I was looking for the perks offered by those clubs, no, I didn't want child avatars around. No, I didn't want the new people around. Same with vampires and furries. I have no issues with any of those, but I was looking for something in particular and by joining a club with a membership cost and a set of rules stating it was for adult human avatars, part of the vetting process was already done for me.  

Seriously, what's so terrible about that? No one is suggesting that every club in SL operate by the same standards and rules.

Visit and/or build whatever kind of club you want, but why does this make people so become so derisive? 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Visit and/or build whatever kind of club you want, but why does this make people so become so derisive? 

That's a good question, but I'll admit to having negative feelings about exclusive clubs and gated communities myself.  Not derisive ones, but not cheerfully supportive ones either.  There's something that bothers me about groups that put up walls to keep other people out, even if I don't personally have any reason to want to enter.  I sense the message that "you guys out there, the hoi polloi" aren't good enough for US.  It's not so much a message of "We are the IN group" as one that says "You are the OUT group."  But maybe that's just me.  I never wanted to join the country club anyway.  ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's a good question, but I'll admit to having negative feelings about exclusive clubs and gated communities myself.  Not derisive ones, but not cheerfully supportive ones either.  There's something that bothers me about groups that put up walls to keep other people out, even if I don't personally have any reason to want to enter.  I sense the message that "you guys out there, the hoi polloi" aren't good enough for US.  It's not so much a message of "We are the IN group" as one that says "You are the OUT group."  But maybe that's just me.  I never wanted to join the country club anyway.  ;)

To me it says "This is a group of people who have gathered due to a shared interest in <insert thing here> and pay membership fees in order to keep this space open."

Anyone can join these groups or clubs as long as they abide by the rules and pay the fee, or get through the interview process that determines that they are, in fact, interested in <insert thing here>.

In RL, I belong to our local German American Club. We have a clubhouse (and biergarten, of course). There is a yearly membership fee. Several days throughout the year, it's open to the public to come check out, like many of these clubs and groups in SL do. How is this any different? Or in SL, a fee to join a store's VIP group? 

• Sad 1

From what I remember the pricey clubs (at least the ones that I'm familiar with, for example the one with the initials TL) don't actually have rules against vampires and furries. It's just that furries don't have the culture of paying for clubs. Every single furry-specific one is free, no matter how fancy the build.

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Like 1

Just now, Beth Macbain said:

To me it says "This is a group of people who have gathered due to a shared interest in <insert thing here> and pay membership fees in order to keep this space open."

Yes, it says that too, but that fact that it can very often be meant as an exclusionary thing rather than a welcoming one is enough to be off-putting.  Not always, by any means, but certainly sometimes.  I wasn't intending to say that all clubs are exclusive, but that some are.  And I'm sure that we each have a different feel for whether a particular club is on one side of the line or the other.

• Like 1

Just now, Cinos Field said:

From what I remember the pricey clubs (at least the ones that I'm familiar with, the one with the initials TL) don't actually have rules against vampires and furries. It's just that furries don't have the culture of paying for clubs. Every single furry-specific one is free, no matter how fancy the build.

Some do, some don't. My favorite club to ever exist in SL was an all inclusive place that was just great fun and full of a wild assortment of different types. It's been years since it closed, but if I remember correctly there was no fee to enter the actual club, but there was to join the group. 

7 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

Every single furry-specific one is free, no matter how fancy the build.

Well, the ones you know about anyway... 

In RL, there is nothing particularly extraordinary about me. I'm just a normal middle-aged woman like a bazillion other normal middle-aged women. In Second Life, I can be whatever or whoever I want to be. People RP as vampires, and kittens, and children, and Roman gladiators, and aliens, and anything else you can think of, and all of those have exclusive RP areas where you must accept the rules before you enter.

So why can't a person also be an attractive human in a fancy club if that's what they want to be?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Can someone explain to me why it's so offensive that some clubs charge high membership fees? I did my best to explain why I used to seek them out, but no one really responded so I assumed people understood why it's preferable to some of us. 

Much like with the discussion about people selling shapes on the other thread, if you don't like it, don't join, but why is there this need to act like it's such a terrible thing? 

I'm generally a pretty inclusive sort of gal, but when I was looking for the perks offered by those clubs, no, I didn't want child avatars around. No, I didn't want the new people around. Same with vampires and furries. I have no issues with any of those, but I was looking for something in particular and by joining a club with a membership cost and a set of rules stating it was for adult human avatars, part of the vetting process was already done for me.  

Seriously, what's so terrible about that? No one is suggesting that every club in SL operate by the same standards and rules.

The funny thing is usually the people that are super particular about avatars are the first ones to complain about something like that. When in reality, that type of environment would probably be right up their alley.

Be around the type of avatars you like to look at.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I think it's that the screening process described in the OP seems comically pretentious. 

https://world.secondlife.com/group/d03270eb-6fae-1382-28e2-8e8cbef21e45

Edited by Lyssa Greymoon
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

The funny thing is usually the people that are super particular about avatars are the first ones to complain about something like that. When in reality, that type of environment would probably be right up their alley.

It's complaining about places that are super picky but not picky in their favor.

It's silly... but... I get it...

It's in our nature to want our theme and not someone else's to be favored.

Thinking about... 'what kind of venue would I pay to get into'... I can definitely come up with ideas. And others would not like them.

I'd be all over a venue full of dark haired Bishonen Neko boys, a few furries that were NOT neon purple/green, and maybe a NON-D/s 'CMNF' theme. :$

The venues I've been to seem to all have avatars built using the same style-cards... boringly repetative, but boring because it's a theme I'm not into.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I think it's that the screening process described in the OP seems comically pretentious. 

The OP that did a drive-by post and was never heard from again? 

Perhaps that did seem comically pretentious, but the previous four pages of posts have been... well, they've pretty much been exactly what they accuse these clubs of being. There has been quite a hefty dose of pious I'm-better-than-those-people-ism, which is, oddly enough, something I never really experienced at any of those clubs, including the one I think this post may be referring to (except there is no assessment sim - you pay, you're granted entry). 

If there is one thing forum-posters can unite about, it's loving a good pile-on. 

And, yes, I'm guilty of it, too. I'm not proud of that. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

https://world.secondlife.com/group/d03270eb-6fae-1382-28e2-8e8cbef21e45

Yes, this would be it. And as I mentioned earlier in the thread...I know we all need a degree of immersion for SL to work, but there comes a point where you have to give your head a wobble, as they say on the other forum I frequent. Charging extortionate fees, screening appearances and walking around with your nose held so high that we can see your bogeys just isn't a good look when we do all know that you're just an unwashed prat doing make-believe at a laptop like everyone else. 

It's not even like in RL where you could indicate the club's righteous exclusivity by opening it in an expensive or upmarket area, thus proving how wealthy and well-connected you are even before anyone knows what your entrance criteria are. You're paying the same tier/rental as anyone else. You're probably right next door to a nude beach.

I don't think this kind of thing is comparable to being prepared to pay a charge to filter for like-minded people. It's the difference between a paid-for dating site, which is likely to weed out at least some time wasters, and a site that demands you pay £500 upfront before you even get past the home page, and then still have to submit naked photos and then pay an extra £2000 on top of that before you get access to anything else. Some people will like that, some people will likely even have success with that, but you're still going to come over as a thundering w*nkbadger.

• Like 2

Hey...if you want to join a for-pay club or group, and you like what they offer...go ahead!

The very best, most fun groups I've ever been in have all been free, and didn't exclude anyone.  Newbie, furry, vampire, Gorean, male, female, kids, dogs, you name it.  But, that's just me.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

The OP that did a drive-by post and was never heard from again? 

Perhaps that did seem comically pretentious, but the previous four pages of posts have been... well, they've pretty much been exactly what they accuse these clubs of being.

I’m convinced most people aren’t self aware enough to realize this.

So...you have to point it out to them....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1616 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.