What building software in built-in to SL?

Rot05

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question:

What building software in built-in to SL to make things?

Is AC3D  the software used or is it something else?

Reason: I want to build virtual prototypes of things using the same modeling program (in SL) when working on real-world projects. This would also allow me to build without any sort of lag or interruptions. (I'm the type of person who will not ignore anyone asking questions or needing help.)

Thank you all for your time and help.

Edited by Rot05
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

No, I'm looking for the actual model building tools.

I want to use the same tools and prime objects in SL outside of SL. I know it's a stand alone program but do not recall the name of it. A few years ago I found it but have since lost the information.

• Like 1

True.  NO 3D modeling program is really quick to learn.  That's one reason I like building in prims in SL, you can get results fairly fast, even if you are a slow learner.  There are some good Blender tutorials on YouTube though, and the software is free.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A lot of people rent top quality 3d software for RL use as they need it. Cause criminal extortion says you cant buy it outright anymore. Even that cost $300Aud a month in this country :( Then I don't have time left to make anything for SL. *huffs

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Like 1

Lindal,

Thanks, I am going to try blender. Thanks for the help.

Maryanne,

AC3D is $100 US for a permanent personal license. ($150 commercial license) 

Seems to be the closest one to SL used in a few games.

Oooh ty RoT05. So busy I haven't had time to research lately. I used to love Hexagon when teaching myself 3d. But you cant get it anymore it seems. $150 for an AC3d  commercial license is quite ok. All I ever wanted was ownership of "the best" 3d software. I saved over years, only to have them pull the subscription only/boeing flight software stunt. (end user matters least).

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There's still a free online version of it, but I don't know if you can export models using it.

The native export from Sketchip is a KMZ file, which is actually a zip file with a different extension. Inside this, you will find a DAE file which, with a little work on the materials, can be imported into SL, though I haven't done this for quite some time now and don't know if it will still produce a satisfactory result. However, the mesh produced by Sketchup is very over-complicated, and really would benefit from running through Blender first. See the mesh sub-forums for more advice.

The advantages of using Sketchup over blender to make the model in the first place is a more intuitive user interface (for some of us), plus there is usually a figure at the origin which also helps with judging the scale of things you make.

Re the "possibly more intuitive interface (typoed untuitive first here and nearly left it in as appropriate to Blender :), I anticipate a few replies regarding Blender's latest version being better, etc etc, but the way people divide into groups between Blender and not-blender UI's is remarkably like the way people divide into mouselook vs over-the-shoulder modes in SL. Some of us are just born different, innit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This may be of interest!  I just found out that someone is offering a 50-week Blender course FREE, in world.  Here is the website: http://sligodigitalstudios.com/about.htm

Here is the in world classroom location: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Ufeus/112/105/2802

Each class is offered 2-3 times per week.  You have to go through them sequentially.  Contact the people offering the course for info on when the next sequence starts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Rot05 said:

Thanks for letting me know about that.

IM me and I'll tell you the training web site I use.  I don't know if I should mention them here.  There are probably several good ones.  I just know the one I use has been good for me. 

I would recommend learning with a mixed work flow as an example mine is FBX Converter Meshlab Sculptris  Affinity Photo MakeHuman  3D Coat  XNormal

At the direction Blender is heading(not great in my view), you might be better off paying for or getting a free version of software like Modo or ZBrush

Edited by Shansi Kenin

I use blender, but I am tempted to get substance painter for texturing.  Its just so expensive, and doesn't save me enough time to justify the expense.  If it goes on sale at the holidays, I'll probably pick up an substance painter subscription. 

1 minute ago, Erwin Solo said:

I use blender, but I am tempted to get substance painter for texturing.  Its just so expensive, and doesn't save me enough time to justify the expense.  If it goes on sale at the holidays, I'll probably pick up an substance painter subscription. 

I would use 3D Coat its much cheaper and works with all Adobe plugins, have you tried it?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1648 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.