Firestorm BoM version causing bad lag?

ClariceRose

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I downloaded the Firestorm BoM version a couple weeks ago. Since I did that, SL had become VERY laggy, was freezing up, etc. I thought it was my internet connection at first. I lowered my Draw Distance to 32, put my graphics on low-med and other such things to help, however none of that helped. My FPS had went from an average of 10-15 in busy sims way down to 2-3. I suffered for 2 weeks with it then thought, hmm let me delete this version and go back to the previous one. Once I did that, everything was so much better!

Sadly though I want to have the BoM version and soon it will be the version that everyone has to use. So, should I file a JIRA? Should I got to the FS support sim and ask questions? Not sure how to handle this.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Try a modern version of the LL viewer, or Catznip, or any other BoM-capable viewer, just to see whether it's something funky with your configuration, or some interaction between your configuration and Firestorm.

(FWIW, I've used the BoM-capable Firestorm off and on since it came out and haven't noticed any particular slow-downs compared to my usual network lag, but that doesn't help you at all of course. And to be fair, I still spend 90% of my time in Catznip so I might not notice Firestorm changes anyway.)

• Like 3

I am still on Firestorm version 5.1.7 (55786). I am actually waiting until they force me off of it on the 21st. I actually don't like that they do that. Thank you for mentioning your experience though. I downloaded the latest version and was about to update to that one once I could no longer use my version, but I may hold off on that one all together then if it's laggy. I love all the features FS offers, but more often then not I am finding myself switching to Singularity in order to gain a good 20 extra on an FPS boost on sims with high mesh builds all over the place. I actually wish FS would give you the ability to render the game the same way Sing. does. That would cut out a lot of the lag issues people have. Especially for users who don't have a 4 gig or better video card designed for high end gaming.

Some people tried to argue you can tweak graphics, but you really can't. Not without making your game look like crap. In my opinion the tweaking options are worthless. I've tested it on low end rigs and turned off basic shaders and it makes mesh flicker. lol Only viewer I have personally seen so far that does that. lol It's sadly one of those viewers if you want the bells and whistles you need to have the gear to run it. I have never thought of FS has being one of those viewers being for the faint of heart.

I would advise one of three options assuming your using the viewer to work with BOM that I would personally try in your shoes if not all. Otherwise I'd just wait it out until they got it all sorted and pushed out the less laggy version. lol First I'd grab up Singularity's newest version for BOM as your back up viewer. Keep your version of FS you like that runs smooth and good for you right now installed and then install the BOM version to another directory. That would be how I would rock it. Hope this helps. :)

Edited by Velk Kerang
Corrections.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Try a modern version of the LL viewer, or Catznip, or any other BoM-capable viewer, just to see whether it's something funky with your configuration, or some interaction between your configuration and Firestorm.

(FWIW, I've used the BoM-capable Firestorm off and on since it came out and haven't noticed any particular slow-downs compared to my usual network lag, but that doesn't help you at all of course. And to be fair, I still spend 90% of my time in Catznip so I might not notice Firestorm changes anyway.)

I've tried other viewers in the past, I do not like them :( ... I hate the LL viewer and anything that is similar to it. I hate how you can't turn off group notices, the interface of it, etc. I tried so hard to get used to it in the past but it left me feeling irritated and discombobulated. I also tried Catznip, Singularity and other ones. I love the interface of Firestorm and it spoiled me, gahhh!

@Velk Kerang this reply would fit your comments too.

I will try another viewer though that is BoM compatible to see if I get the same lag, for comparison sake.

Thank you both for replying!

Edited by ClariceRose
added more info
  • Like 2

@ClariceRose He's suggesting trying them just to see if the lag is there - not as a regular alternative. It is always wise to have a couple testing platforms setup. Testing with another viewer will let you know if you want to report a bug to the Firestorm team or fix something on your computer's end.

I'm on the current Firestorm and have no issues, but also not using any BOM myself.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

@ClariceRose He's suggesting trying them just to see if the lag is there - not as a regular alternative. It is always wise to have a couple testing platforms setup. Testing with another viewer will let you know if you want to report a bug to the Firestorm team or fix something on your computer's end.

I'm on the current Firestorm and have no issues, but also not using any BOM myself.

I think we replied at the same time so you didn't see my edit. I'm going to compare some other viewers the next few days. 

I wasn't using anything that was Bakes on Mesh, just using the viewer alone caused lag, etc.

1 hour ago, ClariceRose said:

I think we replied at the same time so you didn't see my edit. I'm going to compare some other viewers the next few days. 

I wasn't using anything that was Bakes on Mesh, just using the viewer alone caused lag, etc.

I'd very very surprised if FS viewer is causing lag issues; if anything, SL itself has been an 'issue' on it's own without any help from viewers, given that so many of my SL friends - covering a range of viewers - are having the same complaints.

I am using current BOM versions of both the standard SL viewer and Firestorm and have not seen any difference and lag at all between them. 

5 hours ago, Velk Kerang said:

I am still on Firestorm version 5.1.7 (55786). I am actually waiting until they force me off of it on the 21st. I actually don't like that they do that.

Firestorm is based on the current SL viewer.  Since Linden Lab only supports two viewers before the current one, so does Firestorm. 

5 hours ago, ClariceRose said:

Thank you both for replying!

Your welcome. Worse case scenario you may have to rotate between viewers as a temporary solution based on what your activities are until you can narrow down the problem. The reason I personally like Singularity myself is because every machine I've tested it on I've not had an issue and found a gain in performance better then any other viewer I've tested and it actually has a lot of the same basic features I use that Firestorm does such as outfit management. It's just harder to find them if you don't know what to look for. I am sorry I could not really be much more of help. Without really knowing how your system is set up, what your exact settings are, and what type of rig your running it's really hard for me to say one way or the other what could be causing it. I hope you get it sorted out. :)

5 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Thank you for clarifying that for me. I appreciate it. :)

29 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I am using current BOM versions of both the standard SL viewer and Firestorm and have not seen any difference and lag at all between them. 

Firestorm is based on the current SL viewer.  Since Linden Lab only supports two viewers before the current one, so does Firestorm. 

That's actually not entirely accurate, Firestorm maintains 5 releases and when a new release is set out they phase the oldest one out. They are set up on their own thing entirely separate of LL's so one really has nothing to do with the other except that they give you a longer grace period before phasing your viewer out. They don't actually have to do it that way, but they have their reasons they do and even though I may not like that it is done that way as I am sure there are those who feel as I do I can respect it. I mean it's their viewer. They made it. So I really don't got any say in the matter. lol :D

• Like 2

I actually downloaded the SL viewer so I could test BoM before FS released their BoM version. So I've been using both viewers. I really have not experienced any increased lag, other than the normal lag we all experience from time to time in maxed out regions, with either the FS viewer or the SL viewer. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've not noticed much if any difference in lag on the BoM FS i still get the same FPS on my mainland parcel, and any place i go to that's mega laggy is still mega laggy. aside from trying a different viewer you may want to try white listing Firestorm in your antivirus if you haven't already some AV's may scan each and every file and texture used by FS or what ever viewer you're using causing a performance hit https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/antivirus_whitelisting

• Like 4

I will be putting some screenshots for comparison.

Here are the shots for using Catznip Bakes On Mesh viewer today. I will redownload FS BoM viewer and put up those shots soon, then use the previous FS version viewer with those shots coming after. They will all be in the same sim and same standing space (as much as possible).

https://gyazo.com/9f6770d469f8a7397c61514d7b76544e

https://gyazo.com/c4993137875526c009b9ebc40661a7d6

https://gyazo.com/047ea68762614ea1f83a3f0e2fb6a42e

https://gyazo.com/376f104dc3330ad4cf778b9f70e2c2d9

Someone let me know if I should be comparing other things besides the statistics in the screenshots. I am not techie at all, just trying to figure out why I am having such major issues with FS Bakes On Mesh version.

Edited by ClariceRose
typos

4 hours ago, elixdude said:

Eh? Firestorm with BoM running fine on my PC. Maybe you need new computer? 😆

The previous version of Firestorm works great and continues to do so, I also just tested Catznip bakes on mesh viewer and that seems fine as well. So, jumping the gun to get a new computer seems a bit silly.

2 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I've not noticed much if any difference in lag on the BoM FS i still get the same FPS on my mainland parcel, and any place i go to that's mega laggy is still mega laggy. aside from trying a different viewer you may want to try white listing Firestorm in your antivirus if you haven't already some AV's may scan each and every file and texture used by FS or what ever viewer you're using causing a performance hit https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/antivirus_whitelisting

I believe that I already have it whitelisted due to always using FS, but will double check that. TY!

5 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

If anything, it seems to run better for me. Not as well as some other viewers, but better. It might just be people switching to BoM avatars though, getting rid of laggy onion bodies, rather than because of the viewer itself.

thanks for your feedback :)

I'm not a FS support person but I'm wondering if perhaps you need to do a clean install of the FS BoM viewer. If you just installed without doing the extra steps to insure a clean install it can possibly lead to issues. Just a suggestion. I know in the past when I've had issues with a new version I've taken the extra steps to do a clean install and saw significant improvement.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I'm not a FS support person but I'm wondering if perhaps you need to do a clean install of the FS BoM viewer. If you just installed without doing the extra steps to insure a clean install it can possibly lead to issues. Just a suggestion. I know in the past when I've had issues with a new version I've taken the extra steps to do a clean install and saw significant improvement.

I just did a clean install of the BoM viewer, great minds think alike. It seems a lot better than it was! That may have been the issue.

• Like 4

After doing a clean install of the FS BoM viewer, it seems much better. Fingers crossed!!

Here are the statistics from that... (this is in the same sim but 3 standing places as when I did the statistics of the Catznip BoM viewer above gyazo links)

FS BoM Statistics

https://gyazo.com/98603d17caf11c2a07ad5fbda6e762c8

https://gyazo.com/95d972158dc2678d866e796801ac6aee

https://gyazo.com/5a4a28c2a01f42a148c54133755809fb

https://gyazo.com/b5e8c3d037df4b66df3a212ff60a2077

https://gyazo.com/6d62f8880a8d7f470593da5de00b6494

https://gyazo.com/c1d2bc5b3912fca3fb0dd3cc1d5b9ceb

https://gyazo.com/eaa2a068503969578f441700cdb4ee6f

Edited by ClariceRose
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, AnyaJurelle said:

I'd very very surprised if FS viewer is causing lag issues; if anything, SL itself has been an 'issue' on it's own without any help from viewers, given that so many of my SL friends - covering a range of viewers - are having the same complaints.

From what time range have they been having more lag? Recent (within the past 30 days etc?)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.