We need new options for file handling

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1643 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We need more options for the mouse right-click which could reduce repetitive mouse movement and mouse clicks to do certain tasks.

1) When the mouse pointer right-clicks on an object or folder within the inventory folder, the drop-down menu should have a 'detach and delete' option. This would detach an item and send it to the trash or detach all items in a folder and send the folder into the trash. 

2) In the same right-click drop-down menu there should also be a 'detach and cut' which would detach the item and automatically cut the item where the user could then paste it into a new folder. The function would work the same way with folders. 

I think these options would reduce mouse clicks by half. When I'm in my inventory it feels like I'm constantly clicking away.  What do you think? Are there any other right-click options that could help with inventory tasks?

• Haha 1

I agree with Alwin.
While those features would be handy, the risk of accidental inventory loss is too great.  People often don't check their trash folder before emptying it. It's way too easy to misclick on 'detach and delete'  instead of detach.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
  • Like 2

i am with Alwin also on a right-click Detach and Delete

i get quite a bit of lag sometimes and the intermittent delays can make my right-click menu pick action a bit wonky

intermittently when I right-click on a menu item, it actions the one above or below it which drives me bananas now. If instead of Detach like I wanted, it picked Detach and Delete instead I would start throwing bananas

• Like 1

Okay, maybe the option should be hidden until unlocked in the debug settings. Like SetDetachAndDelete = off/on. Lock it away so only people like moi can use it.

New idea based on a mobile phone file system. 3) Add checkboxes next to each item and then have options to delete all checked items, or detach items, etc.

Again, I just want to remove the click-fest within the inventory folder.

16 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

New idea based on a mobile phone file system. 3) Add checkboxes next to each item and then have options to delete all checked items, or detach items, etc.

You can already do this by shift-clicking or CTRL-clicking to elect multiple items then right-click for menu and your selection will apply to all. Also, a really fast way to detach anything, no matter how deeply embedded in multiple folders, is to right-click the folder and choose "Remove from outfit" (paraphrased) - this will detach anything in that folder and any folders inside that folder all the way down.

I'm not trying to debunk or belittle your idea, just providing alternate ways of achieving fewer clicks to accomplish some things. :)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1643 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.