Viewer(s) refuses to connect with a network card

Spooked Dreamscape

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am not sure if anyone else had this issue before but might be something a Linden can help point out and probably help solve this issue I am having.

I just put installed a network card I took out from an older system "ASUS XG-C100C 10G Network Adapter PCI-E" and all Viewers (Including Third Party)can not see this Network card. I have poked around with the BIOS and the Network & Firewall settings  I got the same problem when  I was using just the Network card. Now this might sound Crazy but the Viewers can only see and let me log onto SL with the On board LAN Controller.

What could the possible problem this could be?

Edited by Spooked Dreamscape

6 answers to this question

Hi, does Windows see and use the Network card. (This is important because the viewer does nothing to your configuration)

Maybe you need drivers and/or disable the onboard card in bios.

Last thing could be the PCIe configuration in your BIOS does not allow new cards but that depends on the BIOS.

Monti

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Spooked Dreamscape said:

Yes windows does see and used it before I turned that one on in BIOS. Have gotten the latest driver from ASUS. 

The client is weird with what hardware it will auto recognize and usually relies on windows to “inform” it of new changes. Swapping a video card for example will usually make SL reset it’s configuration, swapping ram will not.

So I imagine SL just doesn’t see the adapter because it’s technically not an important hardware change and the rest of the system wasn’t “informed” of it.

I don’t know how to force the hardware scan SL clients do when you change key hardware, so I imagine the easiest solution would be a reinstall.

40 minutes ago, Spooked Dreamscape said:

I guess I'm gunna have to keep poking around and the last thing I want to do is a complete reinstall of my operating system. 🤷‍♂️

Reinstall of SL, not the OS.

To make it auto detect the hardware again.

Disable the other network adapters you don’t want it to use via the network adapter control panel before you do so.

If the computer sees and uses a motherboard network card and not an addin network card, but Windows see it, the question is where is the ethernet cable plugged in?

If you are moving the cable between the two, you may have to restart the gateway/modem each time you move the cable.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1622 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.