duplicate face numbers?

carley Greymoon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i made a simple plane in blender that has 36 faces. i assigned a new material to each face. after uploading, i check the face numbers and they repeat....faces go from 0 to 9 and then repeats........i have three 0 faces, three 1 faces, three 2 faces...etc.

i've never encountered this before. how can a single object with multiple faces have faces with the same number? did i do something wrong?

Edited by carley Greymoon

Pop in a simple script to chat out the link number and face number of each face when it is touched. You will find that they faces go child 1 face 0 child 1 face 1... up to child 1 face 7, then child 2 face 0, child 2 face 1... and so on. The faces run from 0 to 7 and the child number increases modulo 8

Molly's pointed you at the correct documentation.

There's no obvious way to control this in the build, however, as I found when a create a retro computer screen in SL, 16 lines of 64 characters needed a massive list translating row and column numbers to child and face pairs.

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

5 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

There's no obvious way to control this in the build, however, as I found when a create a retro computer screen in SL, 16 lines of 64 characters needed a massive list translating row and column numbers to child and face pairs.

I thought face numbers were defined by the order of the material slots on the source model? I haven't come across a situation where that order is not the same in the resulting uploaded mesh. And I have several character displaying 8-face meshes where the order would be readily apparent if they weren't what I expected...

Have I just been lucky? Or is this specifically relating to uploading meshes with more that 8 material slots and letting the uploaded cut them up in 8-face parts however it pleases?

1 hour ago, Fenix Eldritch said:

Have I just been lucky? Or is this specifically relating to uploading meshes with more that 8 material slots and letting the uploaded cut them up in 8-face parts however it pleases?

Actually, it'll be down to my creating mesh inworld instead of outside in Blender :) I think the tool has some strange order in which it assesses the faces when it combines the prims to generate a DAE export. Perhaps you can advise the OP how to tweak things in Blender.

21 hours ago, Mollymews said:

might be better to ask in the Mesh forum about the why.  Altho according to the wiki there can only be 8 texture faces, so not sure why you might have 10

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Technical_Overview

would you know if that is up to date? if i recall correctly, when mesh was first released it had the 8 face limit as a prim, but then it was changed to unlimited faces.

2 hours ago, carley Greymoon said:

would you know if that is up to date? if i recall correctly, when mesh was first released it had the 8 face limit as a prim, but then it was changed to unlimited faces.

what changed back in about 2015 was that we were given the ability to upload a file containing a mesh with more than 8 faces. The uploader splits the mesh into a linkset of mesh objects, where each linked object has 8 faces

ps:  very few people do this, as the uploader splitting tool can give sub-optimal results

Edited by Mollymews
ps
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

what changed back in about 2015 was that we were given the ability to upload a file containing a mesh with more than 8 faces. The uploader splits the mesh into a linkset of mesh objects, where each linked object has 8 faces

ps:  very few people do this, as the uploader splitting tool can give sub-optimal results

i guess that's what they are talking with this "Whenever the triangle count of a Texture Face exceeds the limit of 21844 triangles, then the SL Importer automatically creates a new texture face, thus it automatically fixes your mesh when the triangle count per face gets too high. Actually the Importer creates as many texture faces in chunks of of up to 21844 triangles as needed for your model."

thanks for explaining that. i never knew that a mesh with say 64 faces is actually 8 faces x 8. i always assumed it was 1 to 64.

• Like 1

if you have other questions about mesh, it is best to ask them in the Mesh forum.  While is true that some scripters are meshies as well, the mesh experts do mostly gather in the Mesh forum. And they know stuff about mesh, and how it all works best in SL, that I personally, being more of a scripthead, could ever only guess at

2 hours ago, Mollymews said:

if you have other questions about mesh, it is best to ask them in the Mesh forum.  While is true that some scripters are meshies as well, the mesh experts do mostly gather in the Mesh forum. And they know stuff about mesh, and how it all works best in SL, that I personally, being more of a scripthead, could ever only guess at

certainly, no problem.

i only posted it here because i initially thought it was a scripting issue. i was planning to use the face numbers of an object acting as an overlay, basically a HUD, when a face is touched, a texture gets set on another object. i thought faces numbers went higher than 8, so i thought something was wrong with the script.

i have since switched to link numbers. but i now have run into a weird problem, maybe you can help me with......the textures are being set, except they are not accurate. when i click on say link 18, the texture assigned to link11 gets set. clicking on link 11 results in the texture for 23 being set and so on.

EDIT- i discovered what the issue was. i was using firestorm's prim edit panel to get the link numbers. turns out they are not accurate. i finally thought of trying a script to get the link numbers and they turned out to be correct.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, carley Greymoon said:

i was using firestorm's prim edit panel to get the link numbers. turns out they are not accurate.

Yes, sadly Firestorm doesn't seem to be able to get face numbers right consistently.  I always keep a simple utility script handy for that purpose.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2019 at 10:29 AM, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Actually, it'll be down to my creating mesh inworld instead of outside in Blender :) I think the tool has some strange order in which it assesses the faces when it combines the prims to generate a DAE export. Perhaps you can advise the OP how to tweak things in Blender.

One can reduce the number of texture faces in Blender by a process called Baking.  It involves you creating separate UV layouts for your Blender Objects, then joining them.  Then applying their individual textures and UV Maps in the Node system.  Then, you create a Bake_UV map for the joined objects, and Bake a new texture to the new UV map.  Then, one texture spans all the objects that you joined.  The same can be done in reverse.  

Search for the likely keywords on Youtube to find video examples. 

• Haha 1

On 10/21/2019 at 4:53 AM, Erwin Solo said:

One can reduce the number of texture faces in Blender by a process called Baking.  It involves you creating separate UV layouts for your Blender Objects, then joining them.  Then applying their individual textures and UV Maps in the Node system.  Then, you create a Bake_UV map for the joined objects, and Bake a new texture to the new UV map.  Then, one texture spans all the objects that you joined.  The same can be done in reverse.  

Search for the likely keywords on Youtube to find video examples. 

Faces that don't need to be tinted or textured independently should really be joined, I'd recommend splitting the model into logical components rather than doing "that".

Edited by Kyrah Abattoir
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Kyrah Abattoir said:

Faces that don't need to be tinted or textured independently should really be joined, I'd recommend splitting the model into logical components rather than doing "that".

Not quite following you.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.