Why Can't There Be a Sign-up Sheet?

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was amused to see a fellow make a video about waiting endlessly for his Bellissaria home:

Then I saw somebody made houses in what is called "Bellissaria Waiting Room," so I guess you can sit in your non-Linden houseboat and gaze wistfully across the sea.

I actually snagged a lot somebody let go for a low price across from Bellissaria, which I named "Sailing to Bellissaria" but you can't actually do that without a lot of portage because of the "Linden Dead Sea". I have a filling the Lindens will never fill in these areas with "void sims" to enable sailing, as they haven't on the shores of Alston and Furness and so on, so you hit a wall as you do on a private island.

I added a skeleton refreshing his page endlessly in my Halloween installation:

So this brings me to the question:

WHY ISN'T THERE A SIGN-UP SHEET?

Why force people to endlessly refresh pages and trample each other trying to get these houses??? It's insane. It wastes energy and resources. Why not just create a system where you file a ticket? First come, first served. Lindens and Moles work their way through these lists.

There *is* a precedent for this, which was the move to Zindra. If you wanted to exchange Mainland mature for Zindra, you put in a ticket with a list of the SLURLS of several lots of your CHOICE. You weren't randomly assigned because it had to be the equivalent in square meters, more or less.

There really isn't any reason for this that I can tell. A separate category could be created in the ticket system -- or not. That way people don't sit and endlessly refresh or speculate. They just get in line. The line moves slowly, but it moves.

I'm happy not to pursue them and leave them for others, as I don't have patience to refresh pages or wait months for something I can't rent out to cover costs (it's not allowed). But it seems crazy not to have a fair and more efficient system like this.

48903449338_1309357648_c.jpg

Trash Can_308.jpg

dEAD SEA.png

Edited by Prokofy Neva

21 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Not with this point, that I've seen.

yes there is, everything you can imagine what's possible to get last in as first or first as last is chewed out in this part of the forums.
Start reading the rant threads and more stuff like that, you'll find it.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

yes there is, everything you can imagine what's possible to get last in as first or first as last is chewed out in this part of the forums.
Start reading the rant threads and more stuff like that, you'll find it.

I see lots of ranting about these Linden homes, but not the suggestion that they create a sign-up sheet. If you see it, let's have the link. Thanks in advance!

27 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I see lots of ranting about these Linden homes, but not the suggestion that they create a sign-up sheet. If you see it, let's have the link. Thanks in advance!

Three topics that discuss the idea of lists.  Might take a bit to read through all of them, but it has all been said before.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Sparkly Rainbow said:

Three topics that discuss the idea of lists.  Might take a bit to read through all of them, but it has all been said before.

Thank you! I don't pretend my idea is original : ) So three topics, but only one labelled "sign-up" and all in June -- and now it's October. Time to revisit : )

Edited by Prokofy Neva

Yes, various forms of sign-up sheets have been discussed often.  Regardless of whether it's a good idea, it is not going to happen.

Your idea makes a lot of sense if enabling residents to acquire Belli houses easier, without spending large chunks of time refreshing and obsessing, were the goal.  It's not the goal, maximizing revenue and retention is the goal.  Making it easier to acquire a Belli home would only become LL's goal if residents refused to play the refresh game.

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I think the Lindens want a stampede every day. It keeps up the buzz and exitement. It is a bit like a sitcom.

The excitement about Belli is not just for fun, once it started happening people began upping their accounts to premium just to try for Belli properties. 

And making alts premium too.

And once the buzz got going, it attracted a bunch of midbie and even oldbie residents.  And all of us have all had fun playing with architectural options and a pretty decent LI allotment, one can whip through a whole lot of ideas very quickly.  And we've been around for a while, so we don't cringe at spending a few dollars here and there.  So add-ons to the houses, and even some decor products specifically meant for these homes, hit the marketplace.  More money for LL.

If LL upped premium memberships from ... oh I did the arithmetic earlier, but something like from 65,000 (likely the level around February) to 80,000 that's a significant chunk of revenue, probably over $1M.  Is it likely that happened, just due to Belli?  I don't know, but I DO know that Patch recently traded his senior director title for vice president.  Why would he change this process?

We joke about it, but I think that endless refreshing has probably hurt a few folks' health. Maybe more than a few.  I now think that when this all started, anyone who valued their time and sanity should have refused to play the refresh game.  Should have refused, loudly,  to come to Belli unless the process of doing so did not involve huge amounts of wasted time.  Too late now.

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 4

• Moles

The migration of adult businesses to Zindra is a perfect example, but not in the way you think it is. I remember that very well and the amount of personnel resources involved behind the scenes was enormous. Also consider the fact the transfer of ownership of parcels was done in a way that is not compatible with the Linden Homes parcel automated allocation system. It adds a huge level of complexity and sucks up an inordinate amount of time neither the Lab nor the LDPW has that can be better spent on creating more homes to meet the demand. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

8 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I was amused to see a fellow make a video about waiting endlessly for his Bellissaria home:

48903449338_1309357648_c.jpg

Psst... it's Bellisseria
Not Bellissaria like you misspelled it numerous times in your post.

The difficult name was made purposely by LL to test the spelling skills of people. xD😉 😸

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

Psst... it's Bellisseria
Not Bellissaria like you misspelled it numerous times in your post.

The difficult name was made purposely by LL to test the spelling skills of people. xD😉 😸

Got it! Bellisseria! Bellisseria!

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

The migration of adult businesses to Zindra is a perfect example, but not in the way you think it is. I remember that very well and the amount of personnel resources involved behind the scenes was enormous. Also consider the fact the transfer of ownership of parcels was done in a way that is not compatible with the Linden Homes parcel automated allocation system. It adds a huge level of complexity and sucks up an inordinate amount of time neither the Lab nor the LDPW has that can be better spent on creating more homes to meet the demand. 

Understood, but there isn't a way to make this self-same automated system a system that gives you a number and says "you are 1,017 in the queue and have 96 days to wait"? Can't there be a queue to the automation?

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Yes, various forms of sign-up sheets have been discussed often.  Regardless of whether it's a good idea, it is not going to happen.

Your idea makes a lot of sense if enabling residents to acquire Belli houses easier, without spending large chunks of time refreshing and obsessing, were the goal.  It's not the goal, maximizing revenue and retention is the goal.  Making it easier to acquire a Belli home would only become LL's goal if residents refused to play the refresh game.

The excitement about Belli is not just for fun, once it started happening people began upping their accounts to premium just to try for Belli properties. 

And making alts premium too.

And once the buzz got going, it attracted a bunch of midbie and even oldbie residents.  And all of us have all had fun playing with architectural options and a pretty decent LI allotment, one can whip through a whole lot of ideas very quickly.  And we've been around for a while, so we don't cringe at spending a few dollars here and there.  So add-ons to the houses, and even some decor products specifically meant for these homes, hit the marketplace.  More money for LL.

If LL upped premium memberships from ... oh I did the arithmetic earlier, but something like from 65,000 (likely the level around February) to 80,000 that's a significant chunk of revenue, probably over $1M.  Is it likely that happened, just due to Belli?  I don't know, but I DO know that Patch recently traded his senior director title for vice president.  Why would he change this process?

We joke about it, but I think that endless refreshing has probably hurt a few folks' health. Maybe more than a few.  I now think that when this all started, anyone who valued their time and sanity should have refused to play the refresh game.  Should have refused, loudly,  to come to Belli unless the process of doing so did not involve huge amounts of wasted time.  Too late now.

Yes, you're right. The goal is to keep it a scarce commodity and make people get into a frenzy about it and buy more.

• Moles
1 minute ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Understood, but there isn't a way to make this self-same automated system a system that gives you a number and says "you are 1,017 in the queue and have 96 days to wait"? 

That's all done on the Lab's side of things, but I'm fairly certain that isn't how the system works.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

That's all done on the Lab's side of things, but I'm fairly certain that isn't how the system works.

It has some kind of queue, as all systems do, but not such as to create a queue of waitlisted with notifications. Obviously that would require more coding. And maybe it's hard and expensive. Do you see this backlog problem ending eventually?

None of us would make it to the sign up sheet with all the beautiful, intelligent avi's that fill the place with their sit ins, their refresh tactics.   I love pushing the button and finding where i land.   The home is worth it, and maybe if you have to work at it,  so very hard, you won't give it up so easily.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Thank you! I don't pretend my idea is original : ) So three topics, but only one labelled "sign-up" and all in June -- and now it's October. Time to revisit : )

i am happy to revisit this

back when all the ways the homes allocation could be done, I liked the idea of a signup sheet, which when a batch of new homes are released then 3/4 of the batch go to the people at the top of the list, and 1/4 are randomly assigned (raffled) to the rest of the list

so if we joined the list later rather sooner there was a chance we could win a home in the raffle, or if unlucky then we would eventually rise to the top of the list and get one

when the house is assigned then email the person with location and their name is removed from the list

when a home is abandoned then it is raffled immediately to anyone on the list. It doesn't automatically go the person at the top of the list. The reason for raffling these is that many abandoned homes are the least desirable location wise. So having waited since forever to get to the top of the list then would quite sucky to get stuck with a not very good home, when rather hope to get a better located home from the next new batch

the abandoner can put their name back on the list, where they are added to the bottom

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.