Public Chat or IM? Has a Culture Shift in SL Made It Harder to Meet People?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Let's do religion next! 

1540167626_nicethings.gif.8cf183219379c7e7ca2828fc88a65928.gif

I have an . . . unfortunate history . . . of inadvertently starting threads, going back some 10 years, that, however well-intentioned, ended up looking like bomb craters. Relatively speaking, this one is a walk in the park.

Pride of place, and one that some older posters here might still remember, was my "Acrimonious" thread.

It was a plea for more civility in the forums. So, naturally, it flowered into 30 or 40 pages of the most toxic, radioactive flaming I've ever witnessed. It made Chernobyl look like Disneyland. Eventually, I asked the mods to put it down myself, which they did. But not before about half of the forum had been reduced to a smoking ruin.

Religion? Pfffft. Bring it on!

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I have an . . . unfortunate history . . . of inadvertently starting threads, going back some 10 years, that, however well-intentioned, ended up looking like bomb craters. Relatively speaking, this one is a walk in the park.

Pride of place, and one that some older posters here might still remember, was my "Acrimonious" thread.

It was a plea for more civility in the forums. So, naturally, it flowered into 30 or 40 pages of the most toxic, radioactive flaming I've ever witnessed. It made Chernobyl look like Disneyland. Eventually, I asked the mods to put it down myself, which they did. But not before about half of the forum had been reduced to a smoking ruin.

Religion? Pfffft. Bring it on!

Link or it didn't happen. shiftyeyes.gif.f13213bde1a1ae1d2fa2610d97fb69a3.gif

15 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Link or it didn't happen. shiftyeyes.gif.f13213bde1a1ae1d2fa2610d97fb69a3.gif

Actually, I just double-checked, and it's gone.

In fact, an awful lot of stuff 2009-2010 is gone, including a large number of my threads. Not sure why . . . they may have decided to simply cleanse the archive of anything from that era. It was pretty awful stuff, a lot of it.

40 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Actually, I just double-checked, and it's gone.

In fact, an awful lot of stuff 2009-2010 is gone, including a large number of my threads. Not sure why . . . they may have decided to simply cleanse the archive of anything from that era. It was pretty awful stuff, a lot of it.

Oh. Well. Guess I'll have to make a trip to the library if I want to read some good dramaz dramatic fiction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Gee, I never did fun stuff like that in my classes, even when I was teaching freshmen.  It would have been tough to justify in Chemistry, of course, but Tom Lehrer did it so .....

You think setting up a slide show before class is a pain?

Trying assembling a drum kit.

• Like 1

Well I can give you the name of the place that my friend rents from.  I went to pay her rent for her while she's in the hospital and had logged out at the pay kiosks at the rental office after getting it taken care of in the middle of the night.  I logged back on this afternoon into the same spot and TP home and by the time my TP completed I had an IM from a guy who told me that I had an interesting avatar.  Since Pixie is on the plump side sometimes I get those IMs and people follow up with being a jerk and will call me a fatty fatty two-by-four.    So all I did was respond back with a "Thank you, I think?"   He quickly retorted "oh yes indeed it's a good thing." Then he followed up with "I'd like to see more of you."  😑🙄

I didn't bother to respond....

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

Since Pixie is on the plump side sometimes I get those IMs and people follow up with being a jerk and will call me a fatty fatty two-by-four.

Seriously, Pixie?

I guess body shaming is alive and well in virtual worlds too.

I wonder -- would someone ever say something like that in open chat? It might depend, I suppose, upon the context, but certainly I've heard people say some astonishingly stupid things in local, oblivious to how really awful it made them sound.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.