Why isn't there a Linden Embassy?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

No, it's not a new culture, it's an old culture. They used to be inworld much more heavily and interacted much more intensively. They would build things like inworld games or plant trees and residents would watch and talk. Jack Linden used to stand around at the telehubs chatting with regulars. They had town halls and office hours galore. Some of them came to live music. Their staff was drawn more from the user base then (something that I didn't think was such a great idea, due to favouritism and clientitis, and the more they began to draw from the big IT companies in later years, the more professional they became). They departed from this over-fraternization and I think it's probably a good thing. It's not a relationship of equals.

Well, "they used to be" means they stopped.  So, it's a fairly new occurrence now by that thinking.  Maybe you'd prefer "revived practice"  Every now and again I'll see a Linden at a music event- but I'm not overly social inworld, either.  I mostly stay home- and home usually is my SL brothers homestead of which I'm the gardener, cause I'm usually the only one there day-to-day.  When I had a traditional home on Emerson Lake, I'd see Patch on radar- and I'd go Moles in building mode watch partying sometimes when others talked about it in one of the Belli groups.  Other than that I have never and do never see any lab employees.  Any time I've needed assistance I filed a ticket and the situation would be resolved in a week (was only ever me forgetting how to get into an alt I rarely used).  I'm still a fan of my idea of updated Linden bears!

Linden Lab could never afford the cost of keeping a paid security detail around such an embassy, due to the high probability of mass prim bombers trying to blow the pixels out of everyone while suicide script kiddies would fly in like 911😉

On 10/16/2019 at 9:33 AM, cheesecurd said:

It’s a really neat concept and it works ok in moderation when you have a more mature userbase, running into staff occasionally can be the same as running into anyone else except you can maybe discuss stuff more meta to the game than anything else.

The problem is that you can’t make that the norm, you can’t have a way for your users to instantly talk to staff in a casual setting because they will become reliant on it. If you have a place full of lindens where anyone and everyone can show up just to whine about whatever, anyone and everyone is gonna show up to whine about whatever.

I used to play a lot of Smallworlds, my spouse in fact worked for them briefly as a backend moderator. They rarely even allowed their moderation and administration teams to enter the game with “staff” accounts. It was pretty much reserved exclusively for hyping up new staff created locations and content or pre scheduled meet and greets with a select audience of mainly oldschool users. Nobody knew who the staff were off of their staff accounts, they never stuck around long when they were on staff accounts. Because they get pestered constantly with questions and they can’t just stand there all day and handle questions in game chat. They have other things to do and also want to enjoy the game themselves on their personal account. 
LL is a bit different in that the lindens are much more public but it’s very intentional that they be a rare occurrence to find and talk to, they have their own things to do and don’t need and endless chain of game chat to respond to.

Well, I wasn't expecting this. O.o

Edited by DjNolastname

5 hours ago, cheesecurd said:

I think I know that username, lol

Well, I did post a bit on the forums on there and stuff. Anyways, back to the topic of the thread - Like Cheesecurd, I was also a player on SmallWorlds, who happened to be a helper/moderator/tester as well. My experience with scheduled meet and greets is that they weren't enjoyable at all. You had people constantly asking the same questions spamming, and just being right out obnoxious. I was a fan of the more spontaneous meetings where players and staff can actually have a proper conversation without the massive crowd. They also made for much better memories. 

@cheesecurd Yeah, running into staff members on SW used to be more common, but after some things that happened in 2015 that lead to a staff member being harassed on FB, they needed to limit the player/staff interactions, which was understandable, but also sucked.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.